I often get calls from people that are stunned, just stunned that no attorney will take their case. I've heard that more than ever this summer so I thought I'd come up with a list of reasons you might have trouble getting an attorney.
1. If it's the type of case where you have to pay a lawyer such as a divorce or DUI, the number one reason an attorney won't take your case is that you can't afford their fee. "But what about justice?" or "What about the safety of my child?" is something I often hear. Honest answer is that attorneys are business people and while they want to help, they are more concerned about their pay and keeping the lights on.
2. You have been through a bunch of lawyers already. One attorney will usually take over from another, but when you are asking them to be the 5th or 6th attorney, it's a red flag that you are a problem client. That's doubly true when you tell them that you are reporting the previous lawyers to the discipline board. Of course you have a right to do that, but that will scare many lawyers off.
3. YOU TYPE IN ALL CAPS WHEN YOU CONTACT THEM. JUST MAKES YOU SOUND MAD AND CRAZY EVEN IF YOU AREN'T.
4. Your case isn't great. In 10+ years of doing this, not once has a caller who contacted me and said, "I know I have a great case" actually had a great case. If the lawyer doesn't think he can win, especially on a malpractice or injury case where they only get paid if they win.
5. Your case isn't easy. Especially in family law where many attorneys are just burned out, you'll find that some attorneys just aren't looking for a battle. We see this a lot with older attorneys too that spend half their time in Florida or Arizona and have no interest in going to war for the client.
Of course their are plenty of other reasons, one of which is you are just having bad luck or calling the wrong people. So don't give up until someone gives you an honest explanation of why they won't help you instead of some b.s. like "I'm too busy."
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Uncategorized