There are two types of commenting available on ChicagoNow: Our own WordPress-based system or Facebook Comments. If you are using ChicagoNow comments this isn't for you. If you are using Facebook Comments, which is recommended for most ChicagoNow bloggers, then you need to set up a Facecbook app so you can moderate your comments.
Here's how to do it:
1. Log into your Facebook account and to your ChicagoNow account.
2. Go to your Dashboard and select "Settings"
3. You will see options for "Use Facebook commenting" and "Use ChicagoNow commenting." Make sure "Use Facebook commenting" is selected, if necessary select it then scroll down and hit "Save Changes."
4. In your Settings page you will see an area called "Comment moderation." A pink box will show up with the words "Enter your blog's Facebook app ID. Locate this area.
5. In the pink area there is an a clickable link called "create an active app for your blog here." Click on it.
(IT MAY ASK YOU TO BECOME A "DEVELOPER." IF IT DOES, DO THIS.)
6. When you've completed the "Developer" portion a page will appear that says "Add a New App". You will select the "Website" option. See image:
You will then see a page that says "Quick Start for Website" with an area that ask you to type the name of your new blog. It will look like this:
Give your app a title that's the same name as your blog and select "Create New Facebook App ID." Select the most appropriate "Category" for your blog (if nothing is appropriate click whatever you want, this doesn't matter) and then select "Create App ID" and complete the security check.
7. Scroll to the bottom of the page you're now on and find "Tell us about your website" and the "Site URL" area. Paste your full blog URL (For example: http://www.chicagonow.com/cubs-den) into the "Site URL" box. Then select "Next".
10. Go back to the top of the page and select "Skip Quick Start."
11. On the left side of the page you are now on select "Settings". You will see two areas you need to fill in information: "App Domains" and "Contact Email". For "App Domains" type in "chicagnow.com" and for "Contact Email" type in your own email address. Select "Save Changes" in the bottom right-hand corner of the page.
12. On the left side of the page now select "Status & Review". Where it says "Do you want to make this app and all its live features available to the general public select the left side so "Yes" appears. It will automatically be saved once you do that. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS PART IT WOULD BE CATASTROPHIC TO THE WAY YOUR POST IS SHARED. DO NOT FORGET THIS PART.
13. On the left side select "Dashboard" and identify the App ID number. Write it down so you have it available.
14. Go back to your WordPress settings page and in the "Comment moderation" area find the box where it says "Enter Facebook app ID". Paste in the App ID then scroll down and select "Save Changes."
You now have access to moderate your Facebook Comments. How do you do that? Read on.
You can moderate comments from your blog or from https://developers.facebook.com/tools/comments. You can hide comments or ban a user.
Important note: When you ban a user who has already made a comment his comment is still visible to his friends, but not to anybody else. However, that person will not be able to post again.
One benefit to using https://developers.facebook.com/tools/comments is that you can see all comments coming in chronologically regardless of which post they appeared on.
You can receive notifications each time a comment is left in Facebook Commenting but ONLY if you activate one particular setting. Here’s how you do it:
1. Go into your Dashboard.
2. Click on “Settings on the left rail.
3. Find where it says “Facebook comment notifications (send an email notification to the post author for each new Facebook comment”
4. Select “Yes”
5. Scroll down and select “Save Changes”