Sure Chicago has a lot of tours offered. From boat, to land, to sea, you can visit famous Chicago landmarks every day. I thought they were just for visiting tourists, until one unique tour took me by surprise!
It's called Chicago Food Planet Food Tours, and it's a 3 hr. long food tasting tour focused exclusively on Chicago's "off-the-beaten-path" neighborhoods. You are far enough from the hustle and bustle of downtown Chicago, and the crowded city streets, but close enough to enjoy the decadence of traditional hometown Chicago cooking.
The food features specialty stores, and some local ethnic eateries. Make sure to go hungry because the portion sizes are enough to feed your whole family.
This guided tour is also narrated (by a non-cheesy tour guide), and provides its customers with a detailed insider's view of Chicago's most famous neighborhoods, architecture, and entertainment. This tour is suitable for all ages, and of every fitness level. Although, the tour tickets can be a little on the pricy side, you definitely get what you pay for! Also, when compared to other city tours offered in Chicago the price shows to be reasonable, and the quality high above other competitors.
Chicago Food Planet Food Tour swept me off my city tour bias feet, and showed me you can live in Chicago for years and still not see some of the best.
- When: 7 days a week, March through November
- Time: Tours will depart daily at 11am till early afternoon
- Cost: $45 adult | $30 adolescent | $15 child
- What's included: All food tastings, enough for lunch
- Who: All age groups and fitness levels
- Capacity: 16 people per tour
- What to wear: Comfortable clothing and shoes
- Weather conditions: Tour takes place rain or shine
- Where to meet: Meets near Rush and Division Streets in Gold Coast (exact meeting location provided with ticket purchase)
- Delicious food specialties are served on the Near North Food Tour (subject to change):
- Bacino's Pizzeria: Award-winning Chicago-style pizzeria and restaurant (established 1978)
- The Spice House: America's premiere merchant of hand-prepared spices and seasonings (established 1957)
- Delightful Pastries: Authentic Polish-European bakery and pastry store (established 1998)
- Ashkenaz Deli: An authentic Ashkenazic Jewish delicatessen serving Vienna Beef (established 1973)
- Old Town Oil: Purveyor of aged balsamic vinegars and 100% extra virgin olive oils (established 2007)
- Tea Gschwendner: The world's leading specialty loose tea and tisanes merchant (established 1978)
- The Fudge Pot: Chicago's oldest chocolate confectioner and fudge shop (established 1963)
Check out their website: http://www.chicagofoodplanet.com/