June brings summer, and summer things. Along with the many pleasures of this short, sweet season here, there are some bad things, too. Here are just a few---
1. Too little time. The season we call summer here is really way too fleeting. Not quite Manitoba, where summer comes on a weekend, but all the days of summer between Memorial Day and Labor Day number very few. Not to mention that the end-of-season summer sales begin at the end of June. After the 4th of July (maybe even sooner) the back-to-school ads start.
2. Too much to do . Every single weekend is packed with choices-- museums, camping, beaches, music fests, movie fests, street fests, sporting events, rock concerts, company picnics, block parties, family reunions, weddings, and maybe even a vacation getaway. Who has time for all that? Sometimes, too much pressure.
3. Work wear. Summer work clothes are hard to find. I mean clothes for grown-ups. And an office where the a/c is set at 68 and it's 98 outside. Save the plunging necklines and halter tops for evening. Sorry, but the backless sundress is perfect for a picnic, not a Very Important Meeting. This is why many of my summer clothes are almost old enough to vote. Some vintage pieces could be collecting Social Security.
4. Fun Wear. You know this means showing as much skin as possible. For many this is not a good thing. The shorts, the T-shirts. the bathing suits. The unhappiness with our bodies. The alternative? Oversized house dresses, or caftans. The horror! Maybe this is one reason why horror movies do well in the summer.
5.Bad Hair--If winter brings high-static days, summer brings frizz and real bad hair days. What to do, cut it short, pin it up, tie it back in a ponytail?
6.Other people everywhere --Wherever you go, whatever you do, there will be lots of other people doing it, too. Many of them have made bad fashion choices, and they are selfish, impatient, hot and tired. The kids are not happy, either.
7.Noise--It wouldn't be summer without the sound of power tools, road constructon, lawnmowers and loud music. Screaming kids. Couples arguing in the courtyard at 4 am. Ah, the romance!
8. Air conditioning-- When it's hot out, there's air conditioning inside. Why is it cold as a meat locker in office buildings and movie theatres? Why are the stores freezing? So the winter coats look more appealing in July? It is wasteful to set the temperature so low. Save some for the busses and train cars without a/c . Save some for cooling shelters, when it could save some lives.
9. Outside-- Summer is an opportunity to enjoy being outdoors. But along with the al fresco dining, picnics and camping, there are also mosquitos, ants, snakes and poison ivy.
9. The food--Now is the best time to find fresh produce, healthy choices. Kale and green beans, for example. But it's hard to resist the bad foods of summer--french fries, hot dogs, burgers, ice cream, popsicles, root-beer floats, buttery popcorn, BBQ ribs dripping with hot sauce, fried chicken, nachos, pizza. Don't forget the beers!
10.Severe weather- This is the season of killer heat waves, thunderstorms, tornadoes, and derechos. There are risks of lightning, power outages, flooding, hail the size of baseballs.
11 The heat and humidity. There will be complaining about this, even after the 30-year winter. And it does get sweltering, here. But the corn and tomatoes just love it! The best way to deal with the heat is to slow down. Relax. Think, lazy summer afternoon. The most delightful words in our language.
12. Winter--The thought of winter is never too far away. How can we forget the last one? Remember Chiberia? But winter has its 12 gifts, too. Is summer just a rest stop on the road between winters? Watch out for the potholes!
You know I'm exaggerating these bad things, don't you? I love the summers, here. Here's a post I wrote last summer. My fellow blogger Kathy Mathews of Quilting! Sewing! Creating! has some great ways to enjoy the summer , too.
Like this? Why not subscribe? Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
If you have Gmail, don't miss out. Check your "promotions" box. Move one of my posts from the "promotions" box to "primary" and you'll never miss a post. Thanks for reading!