A Quick listing of Chicago's Clubs, and some of the top moments this past year (no particular order other than what my brain sends out) :
- South Side Irish and their Whiskey 10's tournament. We had an INSANELY cold winter this last one, and thought weather.com says it was 40 out during the day, we remember it being a lot more frigid feeling!
- Condors Rugby, have officially become The Chicago Rugby Club, having the Sirens join them as the city's first and only official co-ed club. They also taught people how to #DotheHaka, on the jumbo screen at Soldier Field
- In the Spring, the Chicago Riot went through their 2nd year in a row advancing to the USA Rugby D3 National Championship Sweet 16. The also moved up from D3 to a D2 team
- Chicago North Shore Women, made their way to Nationals again! The team continues to be a strong team, hosting USA Players, and in Nationals, being in the finals were able to be support by a large crowd in Madison. The fall, had an unbeatable season!
- Sirens Rugby Club, traveled to Safari 7s. That's right, those ladies when to AFRICA to represent Chicago, The United States, and WOMEN in the sport of rugby.
- Fox Valley Maoris Rugby Club hosted the All Deaf Rugby club to a game, the weekend of USA vs All Blacks. You can check out the video here: youtu.be/5KDlvNsx7hc?a
- The Northwest Woodsmen hosted an Old Boys Game the weekend of USA vs All Blacks. There were around 100 players between the Woodsmen, Frogs, Memphis Kings, Thunderbirds, DC Geese, Old Southwest and Cayman Islands
- The Chicago Griffins helped host the Welcome to Chicago party at Red Ivy the week of USA vs All Blacks. They aso were able to take pride with former player Andrew Suniula on the field, representing the USA
- Chicago Lions had their Women's 7s team go to Nationals as well as their men's, they secured a new field and complex for the club, and they celebrated their 50th Anniversary!
- Chicago Blaze won the CARFU Cup, they had their Club President interviewed by BBC about Rugby in America, hosted a huge Firehouse 7s tourney, and the new complex is officially coming!
- Chicago Dragons went to Binghamp Cup 2014, bid on hosting the tournament, and now have TWO players selected for the USA Rugby National Team Olympic Camp! Congrats to Quahhar Davis and Marcus Watts.
- The Manhattan Shamrocks hosted Jail break 7s this summer and had a successful tournament among a summer of many tournaments in the Chicago Area. Also a great day with perfect weather.
- Lincoln Park ended their season with a big WIN! D3 won 43-11 against the Illiana Misfits. D2 guaranteed home advantage in the Midwest west playoffs beating Metropolis 57-10. Also if you haven't seen their bejeweled, velour warm-ups... get to a game. I want one SO bad!
- Fox Valley Vixens are bad to having a solid team base that will continue to grow in 2015! They also took time to give back and teach girls interested in the game.
- Lake County RFC had a successful season, they also donated their time to give back to the Gurnee Park District
- The Morrigans celebrated their 10th Anniversary! The also had a great fall season with a huge win over Detroit 69-0!
GET READY FOR 2015, which will start off with the USA Rugby National Summit, here in Chicago in just a few weeks. Rugby is booming here in the Chicagoland Area. High Schools are expanding the sport, the Chicago Park District offering more programs, iYRA becoming Illinois Rugby, Elk Grove have the FIRST nationally registered Girl High School team, the Tornadoes representing at Nationals! Keep up all the great work you put into this awesome sport! Also to all the High School players who received college scholarships, or had their first season of college play, I hope it was amazing!
Tags: bingham cup, chicag rugby club, chicago blaze rfc, Chicago Dragons, Chicago Griffins, chicago lions, condors rugby, fox valley maoris, fox valley vixens, lincoln park rugby, manhattan shamrocks, national olympic training, north shore rugby, northwest woodsmen, Shamrocks Rugby, sirens rugby, south side irish rugby, southside irish rugby, whiskey 10s, whiskey10s, Will County Morrigans