A former Fannie Mae executive alleges that the home loan agency focused on making money for itself, and not providing enough help for homeowners facing foreclosure.
- The U.S. Senate approved school funding and aid to state budgets at the expense of food stamp programs.
- While visiting a Ford plan on Chicago 's South Side Aug. 5, President
Barack Obama touted how the auto industry bailout saved the economy.
However, the plant's new union hires will be earning less than half of
what they're coworkers have earned.
- Local social justice groups and politicians are increasing pressure
to shut down or reduce emissions from coal burning plants on Chicago 's
South Side. The Chicago Reporter coverage describes the devastating health and
environmental costs in Chicago 's low income communities of color.
- Police taser use is up. A report shows that Chicago police have
quadrupled their taser use. The Chicago Reporter
investigated taser abuse by correction officers and called for more accountability.
- Chicago 's U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez said it's ok to rescind part of
the 14th amendment that grants automatic citizenship to U.S.
born-children of foreign born parents... as long as it includes Republican