The last Cabrini Green residents are struggling to find replacement housing as the city prepares to tear down the remaining public housing buildings. Thousands of public housing residents were forced out over the last ten years and the city hasn't built enough replacement housing.
- The city of Elgin hopes to revitalize communities using federal aid to buy and fix up vacant homes.
- How should Mayor Daley spend $700 million in city TIF money? He could start by fixing the city's budget and investing in public schools, according to the Chicago Reader.
- Unemployment claims rose last week contrary to predictions that the economy is improving. Experts say that the unemployment rate is stable mostly because people are giving up finding work.
- Chicago announces plans to find permanent housing for 125 homeless people this year. Critics say the plan is too little too late.
- The racial acheivement gap is not getting smaller says a new national study. They research showed that black male students failed to graduate on time 30 percent more than their white classmates. The Illinois black male student graduation rate was even lower, at 34 percent.
- Illinois residents hard up for health care can sign up for a new federally funded plan that won't discriminate against pre-existing medical conditions