With the weather changing, I always seem to get a little sick! This past week was no different. Nice one day, cold the next - do you or don't you use the AC??? I'm not a fun sick person and I hate the symptoms. I always find the time to make some quick and easy soup from scratch. Personally, I think the healing benefits come not only from the eating but the taking the time to slow down and cook for yourself.
This chicken soup was one of my first posts but the recipe is super easy and tasty. Most friends I know complain that cooking takes FOREVER! Invest an hour and make a big batch for a few days. The soup freezes well and you'll be feeling better in no time. I promise.
- ¼ lb chicken - you could get ground or use breast or leg or thigh - make yourself happy since you're sick
- Half a yellow onion - small dice
- Clove of garlic or a hefty spoon from the big jar
- One carrot - peeled and diced
- One russet potato - diced
- Fresh Cilantro - if you think cilantro tastes like soap...try basil
- Noodles - I prefer orchiette but pipettes or small elbow works well also
- Chicken Stock - I like Kitchen Essentials - it's in a mustard yellow "box" - don't get the cheapest it doesn't have enough flavor but at the same time I don't think you need to get the most expensive. You want to be REALLY picky get a couple chicken legs and cook the stock with the legs for about 30 minutes to infuse more flavor. Throw the chicken legs away since the flavor will be gone by then. You'll need enough to fill your bowl and cover how much of the precious goodies you make.
- Everything should be bite size and fit on a spoon!
- Season the chicken as you cook it but don't season the stock as you heat it. Reduction causes the stock to become more intense and salty. Salt it at the end.
- Have some lemon juice on hand for a final finishing touch.
1. Chop your carrots and potato to the correct size and put in a small pot with water and boil till fork tender.
2. Boil water and get a small handful of noodles ready to cook to al dente. When the water starts boiling add the pasta.