If you love oysters, Portsmith (660 N. State St.) is your place. Ever since the restaurant opened last summer in the Dana Hotel it has been receiving raves for its seafood.
Thanks to their New England-raised Executive chef Nate Henssler who has brought the ocean to Chicago with his fresh, creative menu.
It seems that Nate knows a thing or two about oysters. Since opening, he has added two popular Oyster creations to the menu:
- Fancy Oysters (foie gras torchon, yuzu flake daikan, green apple)
- Fried Oysters (squid ink panko, oyster basil aioli, trout roe)
Now he has come up with something even bigger: The Oyster Takeover Series. The weekly series, now through September 2, features some of Chicago's top chefs creating specialty oyster compositions with exotic toppings ranging from fermented green tomato to bacon lardons.
At last week's media preview, we were treated to original creations from the likes of chef Justin Diglia from Joe’s Stone Crab, Bill Montagne from Nico Osteria, Stephen Gillanders from S.K.Y. and others. To say these are some of the best oysters I've ever tasted--not just in Chicago, but anywhere--would not be a lie. So lets take a look:Here's the lineup for the Oyster Takeover Series:
- July 23 – 29 | Justin Diglia (Joe’s Stone Crab) | Raw Savage Blonde Oyster, Pickled Green Tomato Vinaigrette, Crème Fraiche, Radish Sprouts
- July 30 – August 5 | Brian Enyart (Dos Urban Cantina) | Raw Wellfleet Oyster with Fermented Hot Sauce and Trout Roe
- August 6 – 12 | Stephen Gillander (S.K.Y.) | Raw Katama Bay Oyster with Basil Vinegar Mignonette and Olive Oil
- August 13 – 19 | Bill Montagne (Nico Osteria) | Raw Island Creek Oyster, Fermented Green Tomato, Caviar
- August 20 – 26 | Christo Vlahos (Portsmith) | Raw Wianno Oyster, Makrut Lime, Cucumber and Candied Ginger
- August 27 – September 2 | Mark Steuer (Funkenhausen) | Roasted Barnstable Oyster, Smoked Tomato Jam, Bacon Lardons and Buttermilk Aioli
Portsmith’s Oyster Takeover Series is available now through September 2. Each installment is offered Monday through Sunday. For reservations click here or call 312 202 6050.
Subscribe to Chicago Eats by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Chicago Eats by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Restaurant reviews