Are you ready? Super Bowl 50 is this Sunday February 7. Between the 5 million dollar 30 second commercials, Lady Gaga kicking off the big game by singing the National Anthem, the spectacular half-time show with Beyoncé, and, of course, the game between the Carolina Panthers and the Denver Broncos Super Bowl 50 is BIG. Well over a million of us will be watching--most on big flat screens while devouring gross amounts of not so healthy foods.
Here are 10 fun food facts to digest as you prepare for the big day.
- Not surprisingly Super Bowl is the second largest US food consumption day--only surpassed by Thanksgiving.
- Somewhat surprising, Super Bowl is second-biggest grilling weekend of the year--the 4th of July is first.
- Buffalo Wings are the number one food pick with 1.3 billion wings consumed--about 4 per person.
- Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest day of the year for pizza delivery--with pizza coming in number 2 on the list of favorite foods consumed.
- Ranch Dressing is the most popular dip for those Buffalo wings NOT bleu cheese. 57 % of Americans prefer ranch while only 35% like bleu cheese.
- Americans will consume 8 million pounds of guacamole.
- Beer is the number one beverage of choice with 50 million cases of beer adding up to $10.8 billion dollars expected to be sold this weekend.
- However, not everyone drinks beer. Fans will spend $2.37 million on soda this Super Bowl Sunday,
- All this eating and drinking adds up to about 2,400 calories per person that will be consumed during the big game.
- Americans, on the whole, seem to be a pretty honest bunch. Although many of us will feel like calling in sick on the day after--only 6% of us actually will.
Subscribe to Chicago Eats by email
If you would like to keep in touch with what's happening in Chicago, like us on Facebook or subscribe to Chicago Eats by email. To subscribe, type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.
Filed under: Uncategorized