I've noticed a lot of buzz about Meatless Mondays on Twitter so I had to check it out. Meatless Monday is an international campaign that encourages the public to cut out meat on Mondays to improve their health and the health of the planet. By going meatless on Monday we cut our meat consumption by 15%. Plus studies suggest that if we start good habits on Mondays we are most likely to continue with them throughout the week. Celebrities like Sir Paul McCartney and Gwyneth Paltrow are also supporters of the campaign.
Additional reasons to try Monday sans Meat per their Website:
- Reduces risk of heart disease
- Helps to maintain healthy weight
- Reduces carbon foot print
- Minimizes water usage
- Reduces fossil fuel dependence
- The Chicago Dinner, 3411 N. Halsted - raw or cooked vegetarian and vegan cuisine
- Cousins Incredible Vitality, 3038 W. Irving Park - raw vegan, mostly Mediterranean
- Blind Faith Cafe, 525 West Dempster in Evanston. I like their macrobiotic plate, you get your money's worth as it has lots of food.
- Karyn's Raw on 1901 N. Halsted, Cooked on 738 N. Wells and the brand new Karyn's on Green at 130 S. Green.
- Handlebar on 2311 W. North Avenue has a late night kitchen with vegan and vegetarian fare
- Ear Wax in Wicker Park, 1561 N. Milwaukee, has lots of vegetarian options
- Vegan Lunch Box is great for your Meatless Monday lunch box, one of the most creative sites out there.
- VegWeb.com has 13,000+ recipes
- Fat Free Vegan has some of the healthiest recipes out there in cyberspace
- Fran's House of Ayurveda, is a great blog about Ayurveda also offers vegetarian recipes per your dosha