The annual Sci-Fi Spectacular presented by Movieside Films returns to the Patio Theater for more sci-fi madness lasting around fourteen hours! As if the movies aren't exciting enough, fans will also get to meet legendary director/writer/producer Bert I. Gordon! “Mr. B.I.G.” directed B-movie gems like Empire of the Ants, The Amazing Colossal Man, War of the Colossal Beast, and The Food of the Gods (which will be screened at the fest). Autographs and photos with the guest are free.
**Update: Unfortunately, Movieside Films has announced that special guest Bert I. Gordon has just suffered a broken leg and is stated to be in a condition unable to travel. Fans will be able to join in on creating a get well video for Mr. Gordon at the festival.**
The schedule is as follows:
- Noon - A Trip to Jupiter (Silent short with live organ accompaniment by Jay Warren)
- 12:10pm - The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms
- 1:45pm - Galaxy Quest (Tribute to Alan Rickman sponsored by “By Grabthar's Hammer, What a Podcast!”)
- 3:45pm - Westworld (Sponsored by “What Would Bernie Sanders Do?” Podcast)
- 5:30pm - Short film block and 50s Sci-Fi Trailer Contest
- 6:20pm - The Food of the Gods (Director Bert I. Gordon Q&A)
- 8:20pm - Blade Runner (Theatrical cut)
- 10:30pm - Big Trouble in Little China
- 12:15am - The Man Who Fell to Earth (David Bowie tribute)
Please see the ticket page for a list of the short films screening HERE.
The show begins at noon at the Patio Theater, 6008 W. Irving Park Road, Chicago, IL 60634 on Saturday, April 9th. Street parking is free. Tickets are $20 in advance or $25 at the door.
Find tickets locally at AlleyCat Comics (5304 N. Clark), Laurie's Planet of Sound (4639 N. Lincoln), Thrift & Thrive (6025 W. Irving Park Rd.), Perkolator Coffee (6032 W. Irving Park Rd.), Bucket O' Blood Books and Records (3182 N. Elston), and Horrorbles (6729 Stanley Avenue, Berwyn). You may also buy tickets online pre-sale HERE.
Artists and vendors will be in the lobby selling genre collectibles! A charity auction for Vital Bridges will be held. No outside food or drink is allowed, but there are many dining options available nearby. Added bonus: Both Gotta B. Crepes and Taco in a Bag will be making food in the lobby! According to their website, Taco in a Bag offers gluten-free options. Be sure to find out upon arrival what time they will be available.
Please call the Patio Theater at 773-283-7244 with any more questions and keep up with the updates at the Facebook event page HERE.
Illustrated artwork featuring David Bowie was created by Chicago artist Mitch O' Connell.
To subscribe, please type your email address in the box and click the “create subscription” button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.