An expanded of this post will appear on Rush the Court each Tuesday - and the Purdue fans that read that site already love me thanks to my season preview - but since I don't have one due until November 23 I thought I'd post the first one here.
Big Ten Power Rankings:
- Ohio State
- Michigan State
- Penn State
Only made two changes from my preseason rankings here. I boosted Ohio State over Michigan State for now thanks to the Buckeyes' really nice win over Florida. I also swapped Indiana and Penn State, because I think the Hoosiers might be developing faster than people expected. But I'll admit that Penn State is the only Big Ten team I haven't seen a minute of live-action for yet this season.
Five things you should know:
- Jared Sullinger (freshman forward for Ohio State) is really, really good - If his ridiculous game against Florida didn't convince you, well I'm not sure what will.
- Bruce Weber is figuring out ways to play all of his talented players - Whether it's Jereme Richmond already playing four positions or Brandon Paul playing backup point guard, Weber's getting creative and his guys are making plays.
- Michigan State wants to play basketball on an aircraft carrier - Well this is just awesome.
- Iowa is still bad - The Hawkeyes lost to North Dakota at home. It's the Big Ten's only loss thus far this season.
- Indiana might be better than you think - The quality of competition hasn't been great, but Christian Watford as been impressive, as has Maurice Creek in limited minutes. Then there's Verdell Jones III. That's three pieces Tom Crean can build on.
Five games to watch this week (all times Central):
- #16 Illinois vs. #22 Texas @ Madison Square Garden - Thursday, 8 p.m.
- #2 Michigan State vs. Someone in Maui
- #25 Wisconsin @ UNLV - Saturday, 6 p.m.
- Iowa @ Xavier - Friday, 7:30 p.m.
- Minnesota vs. North Dakota State - Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Five blog posts to read:
Can a Big Ten blogger that participated in the roundtable please explain to me how not a single one of the Northwestern bloggers managed to participate? I mean, for a team that's never gone to the NCAA Tournament there are an absolute ton of them. For shame Big Ten bloggers, for shame.