Since the Horizon League is almost done playing basketball as a conference their games aren't included in this final edition of Tuesday Truths. On the other hand, the first annual Great West Conference tournament starts tomorrow in Orem, Utah. Even giving Utah Valley the benefit of the doubt fans of South Dakota should start making plans for a bid to the CollegeInsider.com Tournament.
Did you know the Coyotes have 7 straight seasons of 20-plus victories? Crazy to think someone in a conference so small has so many. I guess that's why they'll be moving to the Summit League in a few seasons. As a reminder these efficiency numbers were compiled during a true round robin format. Without further adieu, the final efficiency margins of the season:
Team - Efficiency Margin:
- South Dakota - .12
- Houston Baptist - .04
- Texas-Pan American - (-.01)
- N.J.I.T. - (-.02)
- North Dakota - (-.03)
- Utah Valley - (-.05)
- Chicago State - (-.08)
Thoughts on all these numbers after the break.
- It should be noted that Chicago State isn't quite as bad as the numbers suggest. The Cougars are hurt by a blowout loss at N.J.I.T. on January 23rd. Chicago State avenged that loss on Senior Day at home on Saturday. The Cougars played league front-runner South Dakota close both times losing by a combined 8 points in their two meetings.
- The two Dakota schools are the only Great West Conference teams that scored more than a point per possession during conference play. Of course North Dakota also allowed 1.06 points per possession in conference play, so that's not really that impressive.
- South Dakota had the best defense in conference followed by the two Texas schools. Houston Baptist surged late to be the only other GWC team with a record above .500 in conference play.
- Even though record wise the teams look bunched together, it doesn't appear that way on a per possession basis. Still, the Utah Valley vs. Texas-Pan American game should be the most entertaining match-up in the 4 vs. 5. All of the games are unpredictable. South Dakota gets a bye to the quarterfinals.
For the record, all the Great West Conference information you could possibly need is here.