Just some quick thoughts in bullet point format from the first half.
- The Ramblers still need to find a way to get Ben Averkamp the ball more inside. He's 3-4 shooting in 13 minutes. He's an efficient scorer, something Loyola needs.
- I don't think people realized how much Loyola missed Andy Polka last season. He just does everything on the court. He's 4-6 from the field for 9 points, has 7 rebounds, 3 assists and a steal.
- Isn't Aric Van Weelden the most average Horizon League player you've ever seen? I mean he plays tight defense, hustles and can be a valuable reserve, but that's certainly his role.
- Marcus Thomas was on fire during the first half. At one point Jim Whitesell had Geoff McCammon ready to replace him, but as Thomas drained another three Whitesell called him back to the bench. Thomas is 5-7, including 4-6 from beyond the arc, and has 14 points in the first half.
- Loyola shot 54.8 percent from the field during the first half. The only problem? Canisius shot 51.7 percent. We'll see if anyone decides to play defense during half two. Loyola is scoring 1.28 points per possession. To put that in perspective, the Ramblers scored .979 points per possession in 2008-09.