Here's a collection of links from around college basketball, especially the Chicagoland teams. (Loyola-Chicago regular season schedule still not included.)
- Last week the UIC Flames men's basketball team spent part of their weekend giving back to the Chicago community. The Flames participated in the Walk for Lupus Now 2009 in Olympia Fields on Saturday Sept. 12. They followed it up with a second walk on Sept. 19 at Grant Park.
- Here's a new situation for Northwestern. The Wildcats were included in The Monitor's preview of University of Texas Pan-American's regular season schedule as a "big-name" opponent.
- North by Northwestern did a good job of previewing all of the Wildcats' sports teams as the school year begins again at NU. The basketball team was mentioned in a bunch of the sections including Kevin Coble as a Player to Watch. Of course, where was last season's Michigan State game in the Moments in History?
- The news about Jershon Cobb wasn't the only big recruiting story for Northwestern this week. The Tribune's Teddy Greenstein also wrote about how the Wildcats are in the chase for Wisconsin high school senior guard Josh Gasser.
- Villanova By the Numbers has been previewing every Big East team through its Pomery profile and multiple year trends over the past few weeks. Monday it was DePaul's turn. There's a small chance DePaul might be able to get out of the Big East cellar next season.
- CollegeHoops.net is previewing the Top 144 schools in the country - i.e. the ones it thinks have a shot at the postseason. Northwestern clocked in at #71 overall and a projected NIT berth. Much more about all sorts of preseason rankings later this week.
- This is a pretty random entry, but while reviewing Branko's Submarines at 1118 W. Fullerton the author takes a few shots at the DePaul basketball program and pines for the hiring of Oregon State head coach Craig Robinson.
- Things do look a bit brighter for DePaul as recruits continue to sign with the Blue Demons. DePaul received verbal commitments from class of 2010 recruits Moses Morgan and Brandon Young. Young is a 6'3" point guard from Washington, D.C. while Morgan is a 6'5" swingman from Las Vegas, NV.
General College Basketball Links:
- The Providence Journal's Kevin McNamara really has a beat on Big East basketball. It shows when he writes stuff like this article about the difficulties of creating the regular season men's basketball schedule.
- Andy Katz took a look at five freshman that could make a big impact this season. One is former Chicago-area high school star D.J. Richardson who is going to be playing at the University of Illinois this season. It's Richardson's defense that has impressed Illini head coach Bruce Weber the most.
- UIC hosted a bunch of the top talents in the 2011 class and beyond at the Mac Irvin Back to School Jam. The event was played at the UIC Pavilion and according to Scouts, Inc.'s Reggie Rankin, a number of the Chicagoland prospects looked excellent.