Last week I took a look at what Lindy's College Basketball preview had to say. Sure some of the information might be outdated, but I think it's still worth checking out what people are thinking with the college basketball season a little over 1.5 months away. As with the last post here's everything related to Northwestern, DePaul, Loyola (Ill.), UIC and Chicago State in a preview magazine.
This week it's Athlon Sports' 2009-2010 College Basketball Preview. As a side note, Athlon apparently doesn't care that Notre Dame and the University of Illinois are not actually located in Chicago. The magazine used Luke Harangody and Mike Davis as their cover boys for the regional cover.
Of course that doesn't stop them from naming DePaul's Jerry Wainwright (left) as a coach on the hot seat.
- Northwestern gets a bold spot in the front of the magazine as Athlon named the Wildcats' quest for the NCAA Tournament as the #9 thing on their Top 10 Things to Watch this college basketball season. (Surely this isn't an original thought.)
- DePaul's Eric Wallace is mentioned among the Top 40 Impact Transfers. Wallace is a wing that is moving from Ohio State to DePaul. The Blue Demons also grabbed a more dubious honor as Jerry Wainwright is obviously one of the Coaches on the Hot Seat this season. In fact, he's the main photo for the section.
- The Athlon Preseason All-American Team has just one Chicago player, Northwestern's Kevin Coble.
- Athlon has college basketball fantasy rankings in the front of their magazine. (Does anyone else even do this?) Coble is #49 and DePaul's Mac Koshwal is #55. DePaul's Will Walker isn't mentioned in the Top 100, but his the #38 guard for fantasy college basketball according to Athlon.
- DePaul is picked last in the Big East behind Rutgers, South Florida and Providence. The Blue Demons' 2009 recruiting class is ranked 15th in the conference in front of only Seton Hall. Money quote: "It can't get any worse for the Demons, who aren't as young in a league that isn't as good."
- Northwestern is picked 8th in the Big Ten in front of Penn State, Indiana and Iowa. The Wildcats' recruiting class is ranked 10th in the conference in front of only Ohio State - and the Buckeyes didn't sign a single player. Money quote: "The program can't afford a step back, which likely would end [head coach Bill] Carmody's run in Evanston."
- UIC is picked 8th in the Horizon League in front of Loyola (Ill.) and Detroit. Of course these predictions were made before the suspension of point guard Spencer Stewart. It's possible that the Ramblers would've been ranked in front of the Flames if that had been known.
- Chicago State is lumped in with the Independents in Athlon's preview. There's not much in the magazine about the Cougars other than the obvious about losing their star players (David Holston and John Cantrell) and the ascension of Carl Montgomery to the role of key player.