Special Counsel Robert Mueller finally, and reluctantly, testified before Congress this week.
While some of his responses to questions were a bit halting and less than gripping, there were important takeaways that you might have missed.
You certainly didn't see them on Fox "News."
This is what he said
1) About Russian interference: “They’re doing it as we sit here, and they expect to do it in the next campaign.”
2) About a cover up: “A number of people we interviewed in our investigation, it turns out, did lie.”
3) About Trump’s praise for WikiLeaks: “Problematic is an understatement in terms of what it displays of giving some hope or some boost to what is and should be illegal behavior.”
4) About Trump’s claims of total exoneration: “The president was not exculpated for the acts that he allegedly committed.”
5) About the integrity of his investigation: “It is not a witch hunt.”
6) About why he didn’t subpoena the President: “We decided that we did not want to exercise the subpoena powers because of the necessity of expediting the end of the investigation.”
Regarding the last one (#6), Mueller did not elaborate about why there was a necessity of expediting the end of the interview, and that may bear further scrutiny.
In parting, I leave you with the following two sentences from Paul Thornton of the L.A. Times:
At almost any other time in American history, a decorated Marine with a highly distinguished legal and law enforcement career vouching for his 400-page report detailing a president’s impeachment-worthy conduct would be greeted with (at least) deference or (at best) bipartisan gratitude.
But Robert S. Mueller III had the misfortune of explaining his life’s most important investigation to a bunch of Republicans eager to engage in character assassination on behalf of the most amoral president in U.S. history, and in front of a media that valued “optics” just as much as the details of Mueller’s report.
Subscribe to the Chicago Board of Tirade
* You will never get SPAM
* Your email address will never be sold or given away
* You will only receive emails on days I post.
* You can unsubscribe at any time
* You can contact me anytime at: RJ@bobabrams.net
* Just type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button.