Donald Trump told a clamoring throng of supporters in Fargo, North Dakota this week that he was the first Republican to win Wisconsin since 1952.
If you're one of the two or three people who read my stuff regularly, I would hope that you're thinking to yourself, "Hmmm, that doesn't seem right."
You would be correct, it's not right.
If you're Donald Trump, you don't care if it's right or wrong. You say it because you know that most fact checkers have thrown up their arms in surrender long ago. Most, but not all.
If you're part of the Trump basket, you don't know if it's right or wrong, but you believe it because you want to believe it. For most of you, there is no historical or factual context to your fervor, just fear, hatred and a sense of victimization.
That last one is pretty ironic, since the only one victimizing you is Donald Trump.
Like most good lies, there's a scintilla of truth to Trump's claim, but not enough to consider it anything other than a blatant, shameless lie.
There's always the possibility that Trump is just ignorant enough that he actually thinks it's true, but I think he's more cunning than that. He lies because he thinks his followers are too stupid and/or uninformed to know that he's lying.
The truth is that Dwight D. Eisenhower did, in fact win the state of Wisconsin in 1952. He also won it in 1956.
Richard Nixon won Wisconsin in 1960, although he lost the election to John F. Kennedy. He did however, win Wisconsin again in 1968 and 1972.
Ronald Reagan won Wisconsin in 1980 and 1984.
Those are the facts and they are indisputable. They are not fake news, even though they are at odds with Trump's claims.
You may ask yourself why the President of the United States tells such easily disprovable lies. That is a really great question and I wish I knew the answer.
He may just be a pathological liar and that's all there is to it.
While in North Dakota, Trump treated his fans to more lies, many of them repeated at rally after rally. The following are among the claims made in Fargo that are completely or mostly FALSE:
1. "Millions and millions of people are signing up (for association health plans)."
2. "Democrats want open borders and crime, crime, crime happens automatically when you have those open borders."
3. "Nancy Pelosi has gone out and wants to protect (MS-13)."
4. "We have already started (the border wall). $1.6 billion. We are getting the wall built."
5. "Now, for the first time in 22 years, wages are rising again."
6. "Michigan is very happy with your president."
7. "I was given North Korea, where frankly we were very close to going to war."
If you're a Trumpster, you should be insulted because, when he is telling these lies, he is talking to you. He doesn't think you're smart enough to know the difference. You should be furious!
The question you have to ask yourself is this: "Am I really too stupid to know the difference?"
Think about that come November 6.
Subscribe to the Chicago Board of Tirade
* You will never get SPAM
* Your email address will never be sold or given away
* You will only receive emails on days I post.
* You can unsubscribe at any time
* You can contact me anytime at: RJ@bobabrams.net
* Just type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button.