The Chicago Bears' 2013 training camp schedule was announced today. Practices will be held at Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, IL for the 12th consecutive season. The site, approximately 60 miles south of Chicago, provides the team with four practice fields, air-conditioned locker rooms and dining facilities, a weight room, meeting rooms and dorms for players and staff.
One of the more significant changes of note for 2013 is that first-year head coach Marc Trestman will begin practices mid-morning, as opposed to in the heat of the afternoon. Former Bears’ head coach Lovie Smith — aside from night practices — generally held activities after lunch, starting at 2:00 or 2:30 p.m. Many of Trestman’s will begin at 9:00 a.m.
One of the things known among NFL circles regarding Marc Trestman’s coaching style, particularly during the offseason, is an emphasis on player safety. He’s known to take strides to preserve a player’s body as much as possible for the regular season, whether that means frequently withholding players from practice due to minor injury or scheduling activities in the cool of the morning.
Trestman made the point to the media upon breaking from minicamp earlier this month, saying, "We came out of [minicamp] pretty much injury-free. [There were] a couple of nicks; nothing where guys won’t be available as we start training camp."
Here’s the full schedule, subject to change:
|Thursday||July 25||No practice - closed to the public|
|Friday||July 26||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Saturday||July 27||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Sunday||July 28||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Monday||July 29||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Tuesday||July 30||No practice - closed to the public|
|Wednesday||July 31||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Thursday||August 1||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Friday||August 2||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Saturday||August 3||6:45 pm - 8:45 pm (Soldier Field)|
|Sunday||August 4||No practice - closed to the public|
|Monday||August 5||3:15 - 5:00 pm|
|Tuesday||August 6||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Wednesday||August 7||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Thursday||August 8||No practice - closed to the public|
|Friday||August 9||No practice - closed to the public|
|Saturday||August 10||No practice - closed to the public|
|Sunday||August 11||3:15 - 5:00 pm|
|Monday||August 12||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Tuesday||August 13||9:00 - 11:30 am|
|Wednesday||August 14||Break camp - closed to the public|
IMPORTANT FAN INFORMATION:
- The gates to training camp will open at 9:00 am for morning practices.
- The “Team” portions of these practices (the segments of practice in which the offense runs plays against the defense) will begin at approximately 10:00 am. Players will be stretching and running “individual/positional” drills from approximately 9-10 am.
- Camp grounds, which will stay open for approximately 90 minutes following practice, will include family-friendly events like a kids interactive area, radio remotes from local and national sports radio stations, a pro shop, promotional areas with games and prizes from Bears partners and potential autograph opportunities from Bears players and coaches. The Bears will also be hosting a brand new concert series immediately following practices on the select dates listed below.
- For practices starting at 3:15 pm, gates will open at approximately 2:30 pm.
- Parking lots will open one hour prior to gates opening.
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. Our list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.Subscribe to Chicago Bears Huddle:
Filed under: Training Camp