The Bears hosted their second padded practice of Training Camp on Sunday. After Saturday’s high-flying aerial show, coaches appeared to be focusing in on the run game. Here are my notes from the sidelines:
- Inconsequential, but was in my notes: for a second straight day, Boston College kicker Ryan Quigley was absolutely geeked by the fan response at camp. Bears fans are easily the best in the world.
- Matt Blanchard took quite a few third-team reps over Josh McCown. Possible, although not probable, that he actually unseats McCown. I thought he looked good at times, but became rattled and lost a little confidence toward the end of the day. McCown still appears to be the better option. But, if the Bears have to go to their third-string QB this season, it will be bad no matter who’s in the spot.
- I thought Chris Williams looked very hungry but also lacking. He didn’t want to be beat, but was getting beat anyway.
- J’Marcus Webb looks focused, which I thought would be an issue for him. He’s played pretty well in camp so far. That battle is nowhere near over, though.
- Since I’m on the tackles—and since so many of you have asked about him—OT James Brown looked solid going up against rookie DE Shea McClellin during pass rush drills. He handled him with ease.
- Chris Conte struggled in coverage, and would have been flagged more than once on late hits. He just looked out of sync and off his game.
- WR Earl Bennett had a couple drops, which I normally wouldn’t mention except for the fact that he did the same on Saturday night. Not a great weekend for him, but he’ll be fine. He and Jay still have great chemistry.
- DE Thaddeus Gibson and DE Corey Wootton, both, shined during pass rush drills.
- WR Devin Thomas has simply struggled to make plays. He started to get better as the day went on.
- WR Dane Sanzenbacher was getting a lot of praise from WR coach Darryl Drake, and he made some great grabs during drills. He gets taken down a notch in coverage, but he was still able to make plays. He’s catching everything thrown his way and is clearly making an impression on the coaches. Initially thought to be on his way out the door, he could upset Devin Thomas if the Bears keep six WRs. Also important: he has chemistry with Cutler. Thomas does not—at least not yet.
- Quarterbacks have been getting the ball out quickly!
- Bears worked on the run game a lot Sunday. The position is stacked, and they have a decision to make at the third spot with Armando Allen looking polished right now.
- Finally, Tim Jennings had a great day. He picked off a Jason Campbell pass intended for Eric Weems, broke up a pass intended for Earl Bennett, and was solid in coverage all day.
- Oh, yeah, I also got really sunburnt. So, I may be in limited action on Monday.
That's my notebook from Saturday. We'll have player interviews, video and photo galleries coming soon.
Filed under: Training Camp