- For 25 years (1977-2001) the Bears and Buccaneers played twice annually (with the exception of 1977 and 1982) as members of the NFC Central Division. During that time Chicago went 33-15 against Tampa Bay, the most victories against any one NFL team during that time. Since that time the Buccaneers hold a slight 3-2 edge in five meetings, winning the most recent contest 27-24 in overtime during the 2008 regular season.
- Chicago owns the longest overall string of success in the series, winning 12 games from 1983-88 that featured six consecutive series sweeps. The Buccaneers snapped that streak in 1989 with their first season-sweep in series history, something they duplicated in 1998 and 1999 en route to a six-game win streak from 1997-2000 that stands as their longest in the history of the series. Five of the last eight meetings in the Chicago-Tampa Bay rivalry have been decided by a field goal, with the Bears walking away victorious in four of those five meetings.
- The last two meetings in the series have gone into overtime with each team grabbing a win.
The Bears Internationally
- This will be the second regular season game the Bears are playing internationally after defeating the Buffalo Bills, 22-19, in Toronto last season on November 7, 2010. Prior to last season, the Bears had played six international games, all during the preseason, including four overseas. Chicago played two exhibitions in Canada during the 1960 and 1961 preseasons against the New York Giants in Toronto and Alouettes in Montreal. The Bears were participants in the NFL’s first overseas game when they met the Cowboys in London in 1986. They also played the Vikings in Gothenburg (1988), the 49ers in Berlin, Germany (1991) and the Steelers in Dublin, Ireland (1997).
Stats via NFL.com
ESPN: Six of the ten football experts from ESPN picked the Bucs to defeat the Bears.
Chicago Tribune: Sam Farmer of the Tribune picks Bears over Bucs, 21-17—“Bears are coming off exceptional performance against Vikings and benefit from injuries to Bucs DT Gerald McCoy and RB LeGarrette Blount in this game in London.”
Chicago Bears Huddle:
- Adam—Bears over Bucs, 27-23
- Darren—Bears over Bucs, 27-17
- Rob—Bears over Bucs, 24-20
- Dominique—Bears over Bucs, 24-21