The hubby had to get a root canal (poor pookie) the day after we returned home from vacation (more on that later). Since I find few foods more comforting – or easy to eat – than soup, to make him feel better I whipped up this super easy and super healthy asparagus and leek soup. Not to toot my own horn, but it was totally delicious!
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 lbs asparagus, bottoms removed and chopped into 1 ½ - 2 inch pieces
- 5 cups fat free chicken broth (4 cups if you like a thicker soup)
- 3 tbs 0% fat Greek yogurt (I used Fage)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter over medium high heat in a stockpot.
- Add onion to butter and sauté until lightly browned and tender. Be careful not to let the onion burn, which can make the soup bitter.
- Add leeks to onions and sauté until lightly browned and tender.
- Add asparagus and chicken broth, stirring to make sure all the vegetables are covered with the broth.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the asparagus is tender.
- Remove from heat and puree with immersion blender (I like to let the soup cool for a few minutes before blending in case some of the liquid sprays out).
- Stir in yogurt, salt, and pepper.
P.S. This soup is good served warm or cold...perfect for leftovers!
Filed under: Healthy Recipes