This healthy recipe comes courtesy of my sister-in-law, who is an amazing cook (and who I am constantly asking for her recipes). It’s a combination of this recipe and this recipe, plus her own adaptations, and it’s pretty much amazeballs. It’s great for a wholesome dinner (with, as we did, a nice bottle of wine), and makes plenty for several lunches worth of leftovers.
¼ cup BBQ sauce
¼ cup non-fat Greek yogurt
1 – 2 T ranch dressing
Juice of ½ lime
Salt and pepper to taste
1/8 tsp cumin
1/8 tsp chili powder
1 ½ - 2 cups quinoa, cooled (cooked to package instructions)
2 cups low sodium cooking broth (to cook the quinoa in)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup corn (fresh or frozen and thawed)
2 cups shredded, grilled chicken (leftover or, as I did, pre-made at Whole Foods)
3 cups baby spinach
1 avocado, diced (squeeze the second half of the lime over the avocado to reduce browning)
1 red bell pepper, diced
4 green onions (white and green parts) thinly sliced or chives (which I had in my garden)
Fresh chopped cilantro, sharp cheddar cheese, and lime wedges
1. Whisk together all the ingredients in the dressing. Cover with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator while preparing the salad.
2. Lightly toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.
3. Drizzle the salad with the dressing, distributing evenly.
4. Divide evenly onto serving plates, and serve with cilantro, cheddar, and lime wedges.
- Ingredients for Southwestern Quinoa Salad
Filed under: Healthy Recipes