I loved watching the 87th Academy Awards, hell, I love watching any awards show--Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show is one of my favorites, too. I also love critiquing awards shows--mind you, I'm no expert, but who is? We all have opinions so, here's MY top 20 Oscar observations:
1) I thought Neil Patrick Harris did a good job. It wasn't perfect (the locked case with his Oscar picks gig definitely didn't work) but, I thought his jokes were pretty funny. He's smart and he's talented and it showed. And he's was just irreverent enough without being offensive which I think is pretty hard to do.
2) We all agree John Travolta's constant pawing of the female guests was an "ewwwww" moment.
3) I loved Lady Gaga's oversized Alaia gown even with the red rubber gloves....come on, she's GAGA! I thought she did a good job singing a selection of songs from "Sound of Music" but, she's no Julie Andrews. There's only one of her.
4) I would've slapped the smart mouth right off of Dakota Johnson for snapping at her mother, Melanie Griffith, like that. Methinks someone is already too spoiled on the Red Carpet.
5) I wish the interviewers on the Red Carpet could come up with more creative questions other than "who are you wearing".....snoozeeeee
6) I wish someone would've told Michael Keaton to STOP chewing gum! I'm sure he was nervous but, this wasn't the answer.
7) I love Jared Leto and think he has the face of an angel but that powder blue suit and white shoes made him look ridiculous.
8) I loved the "Birdman" skit that Neil Patrick Harris pulled off. Brave, funny and cute--and not too long.
9) I think Oprah should've chosen a different gown--it made her look immense. I was also uncomfortable with all the comments directed at her.
10) I loved Jennifer Lopez' gown by Elie Saab. It made her look like a fairy princess and it fit her to perfection. The pale peachy/nude color was great with her skin tone, too.
11) I loved Patricia Arquette's speech pleading for women's pay equality. Jimmy Kimmel pointed out later that "obviously, she didn't get paid as much as Ethan Hawke." LOL! I wouldn't have wanted to be in his shoes at that point of the evening. Film critic Richard Roeper wondered why Meryl Streep and Jennifer Lopez were fist pumping over these comments since he was "pretty, pretty sure they were making out alright in that area."
12) I thought Jennifer Aniston's gown was beautiful on her and her hair and makeup were flawless.
13) Common and John Legend's award winning song made me cry, too.
14) I thought it was cute that Neil Patrick Harris acknowledged the "seat fillers".
15) I thought it was sweet that Bradley Cooper attended with his mom.
16) I wish Octavia Spencer was my best friend. I love her. She's too adorable for words.
17) Robert Duval shouldn't have even been there with an attitude like that. Shame on him!
18) I thought the Oscar set design was spectacular--every staging was better than the last and made everyone look fabulous standing in front of it.
19) Overall, I thought this year's Oscar fashions (except for Jared Leto) was the best ever. No one wearing a swan around their waist or see-thru jumpsuits. Everyone looked elegant and Oscar-worthy although I am still wondering why Patricia Arquette, Best Supporting Actress, didn't comb her hair.
20) I'm happy for Julianne Moore's win as Best Actress but, I haven't spoken to a soul who has seen her film, Still Alice.
21) I know I said this was 20 comments but, I can't omit the horrible oversight in the memorial segment---leaving out Joan Rivers and Elaine Stritch's names, You've got to be kidding me!....awful.
The end, until next year.....:-)
If you enjoy my posts, please subscribe to Candid Candace here on Chicago Now. Type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time. You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, my internet show on Watch312.com, "Candid Candace Chicago" and my blog, CandidCandace.com.