I love watching the Golden Globes because it's sort of like waiting for a train wreck to happen and this year's spectacle did not disappoint. This is one of my favorite shows because the guests get to drink so it's nice to know we're all in the same place as I watched it from my easy chair. This night was also fun because I "watched" it with my Facebook and Twitter friends, too! There definitely was a lot to talk about so let's get right to
1) My top low-light: Tina Fey's comment introducing Leonardo DiCaprio, "Like a supermodel's vagina, let's all give a warm welcome to Leonardo DiCaprio!" It appears they tried to censor this but missed....I didn't expect Tina and her co-host Amy Poehler to act like they're at a country club dinner but I did think this joke overstepped its bounds and was just nasty.
2) My top gowns: I thought "12 Years a Slave" Lupita Nyong'o's red Ralph Lauren gown, from the 2014 Spring Runway collection, was a standout. She looked like a
princess in it. I also loved Kate Beckinsale's silvery fish-tail by Zuhair Murad. Simply stunning!
3) Worse gown: My pick, hands down, goes to Julia Roberts. The dress didn't know if it wanted to be casual or dressy and just wound up looking ridiculous. (By Dolce & Gabbana). The Most Gorgeous Woman in Another Bad Dress Award went to Zoe Saldana. Her Prabal Gurung just had too much going on. A woman this beautiful didn't need anything distracting. She should've been in something simple and elegant where you noticed her first and not what she was wearing. I also love, love, love Lanvin but sure didn't like it on Paula Patton. The ginormous ruffle looked like a sea serpent waiting to strike!
4) The "I Should be in AA Award" goes to Jacqueline Bisset. Her rambling speech ended on such a nasty note towards the Foreign Press that it was embarrassing. And this woman starred in the film "Class"??!! Talk about being miscast!
5) One of my favorite stars also had the funniest line. Robert Downey, Jr. said, "No matter who wins this award tonight, I'm going home a winner!" Love HIM!
6) I thought Robin Wright showed a nipple but my Facebook and Twitter friends all swore it was dress tape. I'm still not convinced.....
7) I loved the uniqueness of the film "Her" by Spike Jonze and so did the voters. He won for Best Screenplay and delivered a lovely thank-you, too.
8) Have you EVER seen Colin Farrell look so handsome??!! What the hell! He looked so clean-cut I almost didn't recognize him!
9) I thought Michael Douglas' speech for Best Actor in a TV Movie was perfect. He thanked Catherine and his kids and kept it short and sweet.
10) Rob Lowe looked ridiculous wearing Robin Thicke's hairdo. I laughed out loud every time he was
on-camera. Poor little thing....let's just hope that was for an upcoming role!
11) Any honoree who gets to the point where he's thanking his grandkids need the hook. That means you Jon Voight!
And lastly, I learned something fascinating about the awards ceremony in Richard Roeper's column today . He said the Hollywood Foreign Press consists of fewer
than 100 journalists, many of whom aren't even in the entertainment field! AND, get this, you can win a Globe with all of 25 votes! OMG!
If you enjoy my posts, please subscribe to Candid Candace here on Chicago Now. Type your email address in the box below and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time. You can also find me on Twitter, Facebook, my internet show on Watch312.com, "Candid Candace Chicago" and my blog, CandidCandace.com.