Yes to less - this is my motto for 2016.
Less stuff. Less commitments. Less is more.
Why am I saying yes to less?
When I say yes to too many things and too much stuff, my time and energy are spread too thinly, and I do not give my best to anyone. It becomes very difficult to keep my commitments.
I have to keep the important things first, then add a few extras for my own mental and physical well-being.
Important things I will say "yes" to:
1. God - I feel distant from Him. He didn't move; I did. I hunger to spend time alone with Him. I yearn to be in His Word. This is a commitment I must keep.
2. My husband - He retired in January. I want to say yes to spending time with him, yes to intimacy with him, and yes to dreaming and planning with him. We've spent so many years waiting for him to retire, it's time to really work on being a couple again.
3. My children - I adore my girls. They need me. They need me to be present and available. I also commit to saying yes to my children more than I say no. As emerging teenagers, there are lots of "no's" in their future; I want to pick my battles carefully.
4. Work - This is a tricky balance. As the newly appointed Office Manager In-training, I have to be available more than before until I am fully seated in this new position. I'm learning a new job while still doing my old job; it's busy, but worth it.
5. Blogging - Once per week at a minimum. Twice per week if inspiration hits.
6. Lunch with friends - see my post Lunch with friends is the one habit I never want to break to find out more!
Not so important things I will say "no" to:
1. Events and happenings that do not involve my family. With limited free time, I must be available for the important stuff.
2. Adventure vacations. This is difficult for me to say no to, because I love them. However, it's time to put solo trips aside for family time.
3. In-home sales parties. In recent years, I've gotten very good at saying no to these; this year it will be even easier. If you invite me, I'll say no. No, no, no, thank you!
4. Too many ministries at church. When I was a stay-at-home mom, I spent upwards of 20 hours per week volunteering at church. Now, I have to say "no". I would like to find a not-so-time-consuming ministry to serve in, because I hope to build friendships and relationships with my new church family.
That's it. Say "yes" to what is important, "no" to what is not, keep my commitments, and lower my stress level.
As long as I keep this focus, this promises to be an amazing year!
James 5:12 (ESV)
12 But above all, my brothers, do not swear, either by heaven or by earth or by any other oath, but let your “yes” be yes and your “no” be no, so that you may not fall under condemnation.
What are you saying "yes" to this year? What are you saying "no" to?
Tell me about it here, then swing by my Facebook page and like it. It's a safe place to find encouragement, funny memes and devotionals.
Remember to like and share my posts when they come through your Newsfeed!
If you liked this post, you may like these, too:
If you really like my posts, sign up below to receive an email whenever I publish something new.
No selling your email address, no spam, no junk. Just me. Promise.
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.