Illinois is renowned for our incredibly corrupt politicians. I've lost count how many of them have ended up in federal prison. This group of individuals is now trying to regulate little kid's lemonade stands and fund-raising bake sales.
We have SO many big issues to deal with in this state, and today, at around 6:20pm, the bill HB5354 passed in both houses. The link I provided is for the most current information on the Illinois General Assembly's website concerning this bill.
However, just before the vote tonight, the bill was ammended again. It all happened so fast, that Illinois Senator Dan Duffy had to vote against it solely because he didn't have time to read it.
Since I can only go by the information provided on the website, I'll try to summarize what this bill states.
Essentially, the Illinois government has seen fit to write a bill that requires "home kitchen operations" - or your home kitchen - to...
- ...not sell more than $1000.00/month in direct sales
- ...provide the purchaser with written notice that the product was produced in a home kitchen
- ...that the food is labeled with the name/address of the home kitchen, the common name of the product, ALL INGREDIENTS of the food product, including colors, artificial flavors, preservatives listed in descending order by weight
- ...to carry the label "This product was produced in a home kitchen not subject to public health inspection that may also process common food allergens." (quoted from the Bill)
- ...the date the product was processed
- ...allergen labeling as specified in federal labeling requirements
They also want someone in the house to be certified by the Department of Public Health with a Food Service Sanitation Management Certificate, and that person is supposed to register with the local public health department, who, in turn, would be allowed to charge you $25 to register.
Your HOME could be subject to inspection, too. (Just try it without a warrant).
Are you getting this?
Your kid wants to run a lemonade stand and sell cookies? Regulated. Your church or school wants to run a bake sale? Regulated. You want to sell brownies or cookies or preserves from your kitchen to raise money to help our military personnel? Regulated.
Now, I'm told by Dan Duffy's posts on Facebook page that this bill passed without the fees, classes and labels requirements. WHAT? Then what was actually on the bill?
I've attempted to get the latest info by refreshing my IGA page several times, but there is nothing new.
I have some questions for our Illinois House and Senate members:
- Who do you expect to enforce this? Do you really think that the mom/dad/church-going police officers are going to go around shutting down little kid's lemonade stands, or closing down people's bake sales?
- Why do you think this bill is SO important when we are running our state in a deficit that totals in the BILLIONS of dollars?
- Why are you trying to kill entrepeneurship in every single young person in this state?
- Why are you trying to disrupt the fund-raising efforts of school PTA's and churches?
- How many people have died or gotten ill from homemade goodies bought at said locations?
Enough!! Get busy doing what's really important. STOP voting pay raises for yourselves! (Well, you can get the same cost-of-living pay raises you want to give retirees).
You have overstepped your bounds way too far this time.
What's next? Family reunion picnics? Memorial Day BBQ's? Let's not stop there, let's just move right on in to Thanksgiving Dinner, why don't we?
Illinois politicians - get out of my kitchen, get away from our bake sales and leave the little kid's lemonade stands alone.
I can't wait for the next election. Sheesh.
1 Timothy 2:1-2 (ESV)
2 First of all, then, I urge that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and thanksgivings be made for all people, 2 for kings and all who are in high positions, that we may lead a peaceful and quiet life, godly and dignified in every way.
Matthew 5:43-47 (NIV)
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that?
If a person stands for nothing, he'll fall for anything. What do you stand for?
Join my daily devotionals and encouraging conversations on my Facebook page → click here.
If you like what you've read, sign up below to receive an email whenever I publish something new. I'm not usually this passionate about politics, but DANG, they invaded my kitchen; I'm always telling people to "get out of my kitchen."
Type your email address in the box and click the "create subscription" button. My list is completely spam free, and you can opt out at any time.