Just before the Irish rockers launched into "One Tree Hill" as an unscheduled encore, singer Bono warned the audience, "If we screw up really badly, you don't put this on the Internet." He need not have worried. It was a wonderful icing to a delicious feast of musical offerings from the band's thirty year catalog.
All I can say is wow! Wow that U2 has been putting out records for thirty plus years. Wow that they still sound as fresh and energetic as they did in the early eighties, even if Bono isn't climbing the lighting towers. He did however, use a mic cable as a swing. He still uses the stage to deliver strong pro-democracy and pro-American political rhetoric.
The 360 tour played to a sold out Soldier Field, and the stage setup gave all fans, even those behind the stage glimpses of the band, as members took turns walking around the circular stage, playing to all sides of the stadium. One of the messages on the video screen was from International Space Station astronaut Mark Kelly, husband of congresswoman Gabby Giffords.
Even better (than the real thing) was an amazing sound, allowing the vocal to sound crystal clear, which is pretty good for a football stadium. The fans sang along at times, supplying a great chorus, even as the band finished a couple of songs, the fans kept singing. My good friend Otis had picked a good spot on the field about fifty yards from the stage, and sixty feet from the outer ring that extended out into the field.
The band seemed to be having a great time, and Bono praised Chicago for its long time support of U2.
The opener was Interpol, a New York band, whose singer/guitarist looked like he could be David Beckham's younger brother, and sang like Richard Butler of the Psychedelic Furs.
Set list: Soldier Field - 5 July 2011 (courtesy of U2gigs.com)
- Even Better Than The Real Thing
- The Fly
- Mysterious Ways / Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World (snippet)
- Until The End Of The World
- Out Of Control
- Get On Your Boots
- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For / The Promised Land (snippet)
- Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
- Beautiful Day / Space Oddity (snippet)
- Pride (In The Name Of Love)
- Miss Sarajevo
- City Of Blinding Lights / My Kind Of Town (snippet)
- Miss You (snippet) / I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Life During Wartime (snippet)
- Sunday Bloody Sunday
- Walk On / The Battle Hymn Of The Republic (snippet)
- Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
- Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me / My Kind Of Town (snippet)
- With Or Without You
- Moment of Surrender / One Tree Hill (snippet)
- One Tree Hill