Tomorrow December will be here, they'll be 25 days left to shop until Christmas, holiday parties galore and lots of food. It's easy to forego any type of fitness plan you had been working on. But instead of waiting until January to get the body you've always wanted, help yourself this month. You'll be much better off planning ahead instead of throwing everything to the wind. January will be a rough month if you do so. Here are a 5 ways to help you set and stick to your goals this month.
1) Decide if you want to maintain your current weight or if you want to be ambitious and lose weight (or gain muscle). Once you decide this its easier to determine where you go from here.
2) Plan your week on Sunday. What I mean by this is look ahead and see what days you have outtings, get togethers and or work functions. Schedule your workouts so that they fit into your schedule for the week. It may mean waking up early one day to head to the gym or popping in a fitness dvd if limited on time. By scheduling your workouts into your calendar you'll be more likely to stick to them.
3) Cook at home as much as possible. Odds are you will be spending a good deal of time out this month. The only way you can 100 percent know what goes into your dishes is by cooking at home. Make healthy meals at home. Think light, fresh, proteins and veggies. If you can eat really well in your own home you won't feel so guilty having a little extra when you go out. Odds are you'll end up saving money by cooking at home also.
4) Keep snacks where in convenient places. December is definitely a month where people run around, from work, to shopping, fixing the car, etc. It's easy to go for long periods without eating. I recommend keeping a protein bar or healthy snack on you. This way you won't feel ravenous by the time you do get the chance to eat.
5) Think about how many calories you're drinking. Those "oh so good, yummy, holiday coffee drinks" that we all love can be packed with over 500 calories! If you have two of those in one day, you've pretty much consumed at least half your calories for the day. Alcoholic beverages can also sneak up on you. Pay attention to how many you drink and what is in each of them. Try getting drinks with nonfat milk and low sugar flavoring.
Most of all enjoy this month. Think of how good you'll feel in the new clothes you get as gifts if you work hard to keep your body the way you want it. By planning to take care of yourself this month January won't seem like such a struggle.
Have a fun and fit day, Chicago.