It seems like everyone today is always on the go. Between work, family, friends, and fun people's schedules are booked to the nines. Fitness and nutrition are usually the first things to go when life gets a little hectic.
When this happens people usually grab the most convenient and cheapest food items(and who wouldn't?). However, eating this way-especially when your body is under stress- will most likely lead to weight gain. Snacking unhealthily can also lead to many other illnesses as well.
Here are some suggestions to help you choose healthy foods. Eating these healthy snacks will help keep your mind and body ready for your busy life.
Try to go grocery shopping at the same time every week. Pick up lots of healthy snacks so you'll have a variety to choose from when hungry.
If you know you'll be away from home for a set amount of time, pack your snacks up the night before so you can bring them with. That way you won't be tempted to grab something quick and unhealthy.
Here are some of my favorite snacks:
1) Fresh salsa and flax seed tortilla chips
2) Non fat cottage cheese and fresh pineapple. (You can buy a fresh pineapple and cut it up the beginning of the week).
3) Unsalted almonds
4) Tuna Salad, celery and grapes
5) Think Thin crunchy peanut butter protein bars (They have 20 grams of protein and a good balance of fat and sugar).
6) Fresh Guacamole and flax seed chips
7) Nonfat yogurt topped with a tbls. Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal. (I like Vanilla)
8) Whole grain bread topped with natural peanut butter and a banana
9) Carrots and hummus. (Whole Foods Original hummus is a tasty one)
10) Hard boiled eggs
If you have snacks readily available you'll be more likely to choose them over not so healthy ones.
What are your favorite healthy snacks?
Have a fun and fit day, Chicago.