SoxNet

« Sox and Rays Discuss Jenks; Crawford Sox Amongst 8 Teams Interested in »

White Sox Now: Active, But Questions Remain

Mario Scalise

One month into the off-season, the White Sox have been active, but still have a ways to go over the the next 2/3 of it. Through it, we'll be recapping each month and projecting the opening day roster based off the team's present state.

THE MOVES

• October 6 - Picked up 2010 option on RHP Freddy Garcia.
  • October 6 - Picked up 2010 option on LHP Matt Thornton.
  • October 7 - Outright OF DeWayne Wise to AAA Charlotte Knights. Wise opted for his release and recently signed with the Philadelphia Phillies.
  • October 21 - Claim OF Alejandro De Aza off waivers from Florida Marlins.
  • November 5 - Ramon Castro files for free agency.
  • November 5 - Scott Podsednik files for free agency.
  • November 6 - Buyout contract of RF Jermaine Dye.
  • November 6 - Acquired 3B/OF Mark Teahen and cash from Kansas City Royals for 2B Chris Getz and 3B/1B Josh Fields.
  • November 9 - Octavio Dotel files for free agency.
  • November 23 - Sign IF Omar Vizquel to one-year, $1.375 million deal.
  • November 25 - Sign OF Andruw Jones to one-year, $500,000 contract.

THE RUMORS

• White Sox reportedly discussed a three-way trade with the Angels and Padres for Adrian Gonzalez.
  • White Sox reportedly expressed interest in free agent C Henry Blanco.
  • White Sox reportedly expressed interest in free agent OF Coco Crisp.
  • White Sox reportedly contacted Tampa Bay Rays about OF BJ Upton.
  • White Sox reportedly interested in free agent reliever RHP Takashi Saito.

THE NEWS

• GM Kenny Williams says the chance of Scott Podsednik (free agent) returning, or Chone Figgins signing, is slim because of the asking price of both.
  • With Teahen, the plan is to move Beckham over to second base, with Teahen playing third base.
  • Gordon Beckham was voted the Sporting News' Rookie of the Year, but finished fifth overall in the official voting.
  • Mark Buehrle was awarded his first Gold Glove.
  • Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf says that the White Sox have already signed their big free agent - Jake Peavy.
  • On two occassions, Bobby Jenks has taken offense to comments by Williams and Ozzie Guillen about his weight effecting his performance in 2009 and his future big-league success.
  • Omar Vizquel will serve as primary backup infielder. He may receive extra at bats early at short for a typically slow-starting Alexei Ramirez.
  • Andruw Jones will serve as a fourth outfielder/DH.

THE QUESTIONS

• If Podsednik and Figgins are not options, who will leadoff?
  • Who will be the third outfielder?
  • How will the Sox fill the heart of the lineup?
  • Is Jenks on the trading block?
  • If so who will join Matt Thornton at the back-end of the bullpen?
  • What role with Tyler Flowers serve?
  • Can Carlos Quentin be trusted to play a full, productive season?
  • Can Alex Rios be trusted in the middle of the lineup?
  • Is Mark Teahen a capable starting third baseman?

THE ROSTER (my opinion, based on current personnel)

Lineup

3. Scott Linebrink, MR
  4. DJ Carrasco, MR
  5. Tony Pena, MR
  6. Randy Williams, MR
  7. Daniel Hudson, LR

Jason Gage said:

Great recap. I think November set the foundation. Kenny strengthened the bench and added some flexible pieces (Teahan). Ultimately I think December will be the month he works hard to create some additional financial flexibility so he can plug the OF and DH holes.

I expect one of those holes filled this month with the other being filled a bit later. Either way, when the meetings happen in early December I expect the Sox GM to be busy!!!

Jason Gage said:

The next question is, what was everyone's take on the 1st month of our off-season.

As you can see by the comment above, I liked it, but what did you all think?

soxsider said:

I mean, it was an ok start. The bench is solid but the moves were all minor. We still have a holes and with this lineup don't think we have gotten better in any way if not worse. Im all for danks to start with a little flexibility of jones and rios out there maybe even de aza. I think the sox will look for a solid first baseman dh but who? Oz has pushed for team speed along with the power which i am all for. If you say it does not matter how are the twins in a race every year. Also, i feel jerry needs to spend now with this rotation but he said hes done doing that. Anyone wana start a fund?

JimH. said:

My take on the offseason thus far: so far so good. KW has picked up complementary pieces when they were available. He's got the starting 5 set.

He has been waiting for the arbitration decisions and also the non tender list. I expect some movement the last half of December and then fine tuning in January.

There will be some interesting names on the non roster invitee list. Some of the non tendered guys will linger into Feb. and I expect to see one big wave of non roster invitees announced in Jan. and then a couple more in February.

The great unknown is will Williams swing a big deal. It is crazy to discount something like this with KW. As of now, very frankly I don't see it. But he proves Sox fans wrong every year with a deal out of the blue.

To be honest I am most pleased that the White Sox aren't out hunting for starting pitching like just about every other team. KW is very good about acquiring starting pitching ahead of the curve.

There's more work to do but some holes have been filled and the roster is taking shape. Now is the time for fans to sit back and be patient.

Jason Gage said:

I think the big thing Kenny could consider is a deal with Epstein and the Red Sox. The BoSox clearly have a need at Shortstop and are even talking about moving Pedroia over (which would be a bad idea).

A Ellsbury for Ramirez swap wouldn't be the worst idea, but again, it depends on what Kenny sees out there and obviously the deal could be expanded to include other guys.

The key for the White Sox is whether they believe Beckham can play SS.

Jeff Buchanan said:

It's hard too get too excited about filling the bench. We haven't plugged any of the big holes (OF/DH/RP), but then again, nor has anyone else. I am glad to see the back of the all round sub-mediocre Chris Getz as well as Jermaine Dye though.

soxsider said:

Anyone know what pods arbitration would have been?

DwightSox said:

New to the site, great overview and good content, I enjoy reading it. As for the line-up, I still think Kenny has some work to do. Ozzie's been begging for speed and the way this line-up is currently constructed, there's virtually no speed at all. I think in the long run, we'll end up bringing Scotty Pods back and have him and Kotsay in a platoon role in the DH spot. The problem with this current line-up is that were going to have the same problems we've had the past couple of year with AJ, Pauly, Quinten and Teahan clogging up the base paths. As for the bullpen, fixing this is where Kenny os going to make his money this winter.

JimH. said:

I agree on the speed aspect and I believe you will see it addressed over the next 4-6 weeks.

As to two of your other points, I'm not sure how Kotsay and Pods could form a DH platoon since they both hit left.

Teahan is not a speed burner but he's a very good baserunner and certainly not a clogger.

DwightSox said:

I heard an interview with Kenny right after the season ended that they were considering using more of a speed guy like Pods at DH as opposed to a power guy like Thome, which I'm 100% in favor of. But with the roster as it currently sits is going to be a station-to-station brand of baseball, which didn't work to well for us last year. I know having Pods and Kotsay platoon the DH role isn't ideal, it's better than some of the alternatives that I've heard and read rumors about. Hopefully Kenny will address this and the bullpen during the winter meetings.

PawsOut said:

Not an ops nut, but we need good hitters more than fast hitters.

I hope Pods gets his money elsewhere. he's never put together back to back seasons and he makes me want to puke when he's on the basepaths.

I'd wager that Podednik's baserunning cost us more runs than Thome's inability to move from first to third (or second) on a single.

soxsider said:

Many complained last year about the numerous lineups. Well if the season started today even throw in pods, it seems like we will have a revolving lineup in about two or three spots. We need to sure up the lineup because having 6 people platoon for three spots does not work. Its good to have role players to play a few games to keep guys fresh but the 7 games 4 lineup thing gets old quick. especially as loses pile up

PawsOut said:

I couldn't agree more. The two worst Sox seasons under Ozzie have had revolving lineups. Ozzie mixes and matches alot as it is, but it's clear that the only reason you revolve a lineup is because nobody has grabbed the spot and held on. That's not a recipe for success.

Jason Gage said:

Completely agree, albeit those lineups included Andy Gonzalez, Dwyane Wise, Brian Anderson, Josh Fields, Pablo Ozuna and countless other guys who weren't starting material.

I hope Kenny doesn't go down that path again this year. We have a real nice looking bench with Vizquel/Jones/Kotsay and some nice young guys in our lineup in Beckham/Ramirez/Quentin/Rios/Teahan and some solid vets in Konerko/AJP.

The one thing we really could use is a legitimate middle of the order bat. Quentin could be that though and if Rios gets better he could project well at or near the top of the order as well (along with Beckham).

But I don't want to see a lineup where we are mixing and matching scrubs that shouldn't be more than little used role players.

PawsOut said:

I know the Sox aren't done, but that starting lineup made me want to cry.

Also, and I know this is just splitting hairs, but if Kotsay is an everyday player on this team, doesn't he have to be the first baseman with Paulie at DH? I'm not hating on PKs defense, but Kotsay's is clearly superior.

From the looks of what's available and what we have, this pitching staff is going to need to do more than carry this team.

JimH. said:

One of the best things about this offseason is Chris Rongey posting at SoxTalk. Yesterday was a classic, as he ripped Whiny Bitch Fathom to shreds for his overreactive whiny stupidity on the Garcia-Floyd trade.

Of course, Whiny Bitch Fathom did his best to dodge and weasel his way out of it, changing the subject and making excuses as he always does. But that's what you do if you have no credibility, i.e. "If Gavin Floyd wins 10+ games and has an ERA under 5.00 I will never post at SoxTalk again."

Too bad no one held him accountable. Too many there are still blinded by his B.S. "my brother works for Baseball America" crap. I guess only certain people are held accountable at SoxTalk. Either you are part of the backward baseball cap wearing 20-something group or you're not. Unfortunately for people who know baseball, Whiny Bitch Fathom is an expert at sucking up to site ownership.

soxsider said:

Um well math must be not your strong point either. He has 25 names listed with rf most likely being taken up by someone on the bench

JimH. said:

Um, let's count again, just for you. He has 13 actual names listed, plus the RF spot. Um, that would be 14. Plus 12 pitchers. Let me check the math. Um, 14 plus 12. Um yeah, that equals 26.

Further, "with if most likely"? Looks like grammar isn't your strong point, nor typing.

JimH. said:

Cowley is saying what has been said all along ... Thome back to the White Sox "isn't happening". Guillen continues to state he wants to rotate the DH spot in order to maintain more flexibility.

Look for a bullpen arm brought in on a trade this week or next, and an OF later on. KW is monitoring Crisp's recovery from the two surgeries.

soxsider said:

He has 8 position players. 5 on the bench. 12 pitchers. No right field, which is not if in my other post it is r f. Literacy must not be your strong point. So to break it down for you he has 8+5 equals 13. Ok so 13+12 equals? waa laa 25. As of now the right fielder would be someone on the bench as I said above.

JimH. said:

Straying away from teaching math and context to the backwards baseball cap wearing types, two names on their radar for a backup catcher are Mike Redmond (Twins) and John Buck, who will likely be non tendered by the Royals.

soxsider said:

You don't comprehend what i am saying. I said that right field will be taken by one of those names on the bench. I said it twice and i was commenting solely on what you quoted from him. Your probably a 30 year old who lives in a crappy apartment who has no other life besides looking at this board. Probably time to go feed your cat.

JimH. said:

My posts got deleted, amazingly not yours. Only certain people have accountability, as usual. Just for the record you're still a backwards baseball cap wearing punk.

soxsider said:

Any chance we see castro or hall back? I don't like pulling flowers up and taking away his bats.As for Hudson i dont know what would be better for him. Others have been succesful breaking in through the bullpen and others have struggled when asked to change mid season.

JimH. said:

Toby Hall??? LOL, that ship sailed a long time ago. Now go back to your Playstation.

Jason Gage said:

The Sox indicated yesterday that Flowers will be the backup. Hall had a great relationship in the clubhouse and with the front-office, but he isn't a major league starter.

Castro would cost too much and quite frankly wasn't that good, so that isn't really an option either.

Blanco would have been a great fit, but the club either didn't have the money or didn't think the money was right.

JimH. said:

No Jason the Sox did not indicate Flowers would be the backup. They said as of now he is the leading candidate. Key words, as of now.

We will see more guys non tendered 12/12. Unless the Sox are totally strapped for ANY more money, expect them to sign a good defensive backup who can handle the bat. Mike Redmond is one name.

soxsider said:

Haha you are right im sorry. I don't even watch baseball. Kotsay or Jones would never play right field or even in the outfield this year. As for toby hall he had a good reltionship with the coaches especially cooper and nieves(Nieves was in charlotte but during spring training hall caught for developing pitchers under nieves coching). If you don't think this is true ask anyone in the organization. And you are a pretty cool guy. You must be pretty tough with all these big words on a message board. I'm sorry on't come and bet my infant ass up. Shoot my mom's coming i am not even allowed to be on the computer.

JimH. said:

As usual ... again ... you don't know what you're talking about. It doesn't matter in the slightest what kind of relationship Hall had with the organization, he is all but done. He couldn't even pass muster on a minor league deal with the Astros last year. Try to keep up before you open your clueless yap, punk.

I know big words confuse you, that's why I'm sticking with punk.

They will have someone earmarked for RF, toolbox. It might be Quentin, it might be Rios, it might be someone else. Kotsay and Jones would only play there as fill ins. But I don't expect you to comprehend, you've shown your cluelessness over and over in this thread.

Recess is over, little boy. Go back to your Playstation.

JimH. said:

Despite the deleted post, VAGoof at SoxTalk is just that, a goof.

He's the one who said he'd have to watch Buehrle going for his next 100 wins in another uniform because he was so certain the White Sox wouldn't re-sign Buehrle. OOPS. Further, he said it was so sad the Sox wouldn't re-sign Buehrle that he (VAGoof) would become a Nationals fan. Frankly I wish he would. Maybe there is a NationalsTalk.com out there where VAGoof can post his clueless comments. In one of my last posts at SoxTalk I brought up his "predictions" directly to VAGoof but he still continues to post nonsense. There is zero accountability for certain posters there, namely Whiny Bitch Fathom and VAGoof.