SoxNet

« Sox Emerge as Serious Candidate for Sox and Rays Discuss Jenks; Crawford »

Sox Agree to 3YR Deal with Mark Teahen

Jason Gage

Accountant By Day, Sports Analyst By Night

Scott Reifert is reporting that the Chicago White Sox have avoided arbitration and agreed to a three year contract with newly acquired third baseman Mark Teahen.  The deal is worth $14 million and will buy out two years of arbitration and one year of free agency.   Teahen made $3.75 million last season.

SN Take:

Assistant GM Rick Hahn, who handles most of the Sox contract extensions, once again did an excellent job.  He signed Teahen to a fair deal which avoids arbitration and buys out a year of free agency.  The move provides the club with cost certainty at a position that is typically expensive to fill (3B).

SoxNet understands that some fans don't see Teahen as an answer at third.  We are very aware of his pedestrian offensive numbers and pourous defensive metrics, but I am a big believer in tools and Teahen has the tools to be a league average, if not better, third baseman.

Sox Brass is aware of it too and it's why club had long scouted Teahen.  Those close to the Sox have indicate the club believes Teahen needed a change of scenery and a definite position to reach that potential.  2010 will be the first year since 2006 where Teahen has a definite position.  Coincidentally, 2006 was the best year of his career (.290 AVG, 18HR, .357 OBP, .874 OPS) and if the Sox get that type of production out of Teahen, they'll have a bargain for the next three seasons.

Jason Gage said:

Good move. Fair price and if he lives up to his potential, the Sox have a guy signed at a very fair rate for three years.

Jason Gage said:

On the bright side, Tigers got worse for this year. THey deal Granderson and Jackson in a three team deal.

"yanks to get granderson, e. jackson, i. kennedy to dbacks, scherzer, schlereth, a. jax, coke to tigers"

Shcerzer has a live arm and will help the Tigers. Jackson was the best position prospect for the Yankees. But I still like this deal the most for the Dbacks, mainly because I think Scherzer will have serious arm problems (although he has a hell of an arm and I'll hate watching him go up against our Sox).

Jeff Buchanan said:

I dislike this deal the most for AZ. Kennedy is very underwhelming and Jackson is overrated, he's a mid rotation starter for me. Love the move for Yankees (Montero is by far their best prospect, not A-Jax), Kennedy/Jackson/Coke for Granderson is a steal.

Jason Gage said:

I agree with. Montero has tremendous offensive potential. He won't stick at catcher but he's a star prospect with a very high offensive ceiling.

Yanks didn't give up anyone they couldn't replace. Jackson is replaced by Granderson, who is a good, but not great player.

I think the only potential logic for Arizona is that they don't believe in Scherzers mechanics/elbow. Otherwise it seems like a foolish trade.

That said, I love Jackson's arm and he's gotten better each of the past couple of years. Kennedy is a safe bet to be a solid #4 or #5 which is pretty valuable. He's got the upside of a #3.

So if Scherzers elbow explodes, which is very possible, I could see the deal working out very well for AZ.

Detroit did pretty good too. They cut significant salary and added some nice pieces.

Jason Gage said:

The trade officially means Matsui won't be back with the Yankees. They are apparently still considering going after Damon.

Both guys would be fits for the Sox, although Damon is 99% most likely to be priced out of the Sox plans.

JimH. said:

Damon = Boras so forget about him. And Damon has leverage, unlike say Andruw Jones.

Matsui, maybe. He's a good bat and could bring in more revenue given the Japanese factor. It will have to fit on several levels though. Can he play some OF, how are his knees, what kind of $$ will he want, and others. We'll see.

Jason Gage said:

KW on Teahen: "We believe he's going to produce and produce in a big way"

Mario Scalise said:

Eh. Not big on the deal. I understand it's a smaller risk because it's not a ton of money and if he plays as KW expects it could be a bargain, but I'm just not a fan on giving out a contract based on it potentially being a good deal. If it was purely about what Teahen has proven, no contract would have been offered.

JimH. said:

It has everything to do with cost certainty and allowing the White Sox more payroll flexibility to add other players.

What's interesting is pondering what this may mean for Viciedo and Morel. Teahan is now locked in through 2012. I suspect Viciedo will be changin positions, perhaps as soon as this year. As for Morel, will he need 3 more years in the minors? Hmmmm.

Jason Gage said:

Morel most definitely won't need 3 more seasons. But he is also a good enough athlete to be a good defensive 2nd baseman. I think of him in that Bill Mueller mold.

And Teahen clearly isn't a good enough player that you would keep over a guy that eventually proves himself to have a lot of upside. I don't know if Morel is ultimately that guy, but it isn't like Teahen will ever be the best 3rd baseman in the league.

He has the tools to be league average to a little better, and quite frankly, I think he's capable of doing it.

The big question will be how he plays defensively because he's been pretty bad the past few years. I realize he's moved positions though and staying in one spot will really really help your defensive game.

Viciedo isn't a 3rd baseman, plain and simple. Sox tried cause he'd bring a lot of value there, but he'll end up sliding to the outfield, 1st or DH. I think the club would prefer him to play the outfield because he has a very very strong arm.

Jason Gage said:

The problem was Teahen was going to get more annually in the first two years via arbitration than what the Sox were able to get him to sign for over 3 years.

Basically Teahen took the guarantee of 3 years and what should be enough money so that he'll never ever have to worry about money again.

Mario Scalise said:

You guys are so smart:) No, seriously, I mean that, because I'm more accepting of it if it's about aligning your payroll. Now, not sure if he would get more than that in arbitration. If the guy bats .170 and plays just 60 games because of that .170 average, I can't see him making much in arbitration, or the Sox wanting to keep him.