SoxNet

« White Sox Show Interest in Henry FutureSox.com: An Interview With White Sox »

SoxNet Responds to Cowley's Attacks

SoxNet Staff

Sun-Times columnist Joe Cowley responded to SoxNet's recent report involving 1B Adrian Gonzalez.  For those familiar with Cowley's twitter and columns, the response wasn't the least bit surprising.

We at SoxNet saw Cowley's actions as unprofessional, offensive, and completely inappropriate and felt it necessary to send Joe Cowley the following email:

Hey Joe

I want to let you know that I'm not sure where you are jumping to these conclusions, but we reported only what we have heard and it's the same thing we've reported over the years, whether at SoxNet, FutureSox, or Soxtalk. And historically I believe we've proven the fact that we have legitimate sources. In no way, shape or form, are we on top of the news all the time. We don't have near the contacts that you and Mark Gonzalez have, although we do have a few legitimate contacts within the org who we catch up with from time to time and get the occasional tid-bit from.

These sources have varied over the years from players, to family members, to people within the front-office and scouting world and over those years we have been the first to report a good number of Sox moves, including Bradon McCarthy's promotion to the club, Brandon McCarthy's trade from the club, Billy Koch/Keith Foulke Trade, Bartolo Colon Trade, injuries to certain players, Gordon Beckham's promotion, and many other minor league players promotion as well as minor league roster moves.

I also believe our comments were just one in a list of reports that have come from the media indicating that they have heard about the clubs having discussions. Local radio reported last week that they had heard from someone with ties to San Diego that the Pads/Sox have had discussions. You have indicated on your twitter feed that you had heard the Sox had inquired in October and Mark Gonzalez has publicly reported that a month ago he confirmed the Sox interest in Gonzalez.

Whether a deal between the clubs ultimately happens, I don't' know, nor have I ever given any indication that a deal will happen. The fact that the talks have happened is what I would call news-worthy from a fans perspective and that is what we are reporting and I believe we were very honest in the way we reported it.

I don't understand why you are offended at what we reported, but your comments were completely unprofessional and disrespectful.

Sincerely

Jason Gage and Mario Scalise
SoxNet.net

Jason Gage said:

I would like to share some comments from a popular White Sox fan forum on Joe Cowley (Soxtalk.com):

NorthsideSox72
"Regardless of what any of us think of the rumor, Cowley's twits (or tweets or whatever) should illustrate to everyone here what a joke his writing is. He isn't a journalist at all, is a guy who shouts a lot about sports. You can find those at your local pub too, but they don't get paid for it.

He had nothing material to add, so he resorted to insults. Childish and unprofessional are understatements."

Jason Gage said:

SoxBadger
"I dont claim to know or read Cowley's article, but the sign of a poor argument is personal attacks.

The statement, "written in the basement of a trekkie turned blogger," is completely irrelevant. "

JimH. said:

I'm watching this all unfold with great interest. Cowley's comments were unprofessional, no doubt about that.

You guys need to understand the type of guy Joe Cowley is. He is extremely competitive, and I do mean extremely. He also holds a grudge and is not above trashing people/places/things he doesn't like. He is generally dismissive of the web based world because he's long been a print guy in the trenches. He holds little respect for people who aren't in the locker room. To summarize, he holds just about any other sources below himself, with the exception of Mark Gonzalez, Levine, and a few of the national guys like Rosenthal and Gammons. That's just Joe. His reaction, to me, was totally expected and in character. He's not known as Tail Gunner Joe for nothing.

JimH. said:

Jason: Don't let Cowley's comments bug you (not that you are, in fact I think you're taking them in stride). Put it this way, you just got a big jolt of PR by him mentioning your blog. Send him some flowers!

JimH. said:

Last thing ... Jason your response was excellent. Very proud of you. A few of the SoxTalkers embarassed themselves. Writing Cowley and telling him what male body part he likes to suck is stupid.

Jimmy Greenfield said:

Great point.

Chicago Expatriate said:

A few years back Cowley made a mistake in one of his columns and I sent him an email with the correct information. When he still insisted he was right I sent him a link that proved he was not. I did this in a polite and respectful manner, which is more than I can say for him. He is one pompous arrogant jerk.

Dmband said:

Im actually very glad you responded to this..I frequent some of the other blogs here (cubs fan...sorry) and listen to the SCORE and when I heard Cowley's remarks I thought the same thing..Seemed to me, he was just salty he didnt report those talks...He was VERY disrepectful..and kind of an arrogant asshole.

Dmband said:

Also, you guys way to express the fact that these were preliminary talks.

Dmband said:

Oh, and Cowley should really get more familiar with the Blogs in this city, because hes going to have to start applying to them soon, given the state of the newspaper biz..

DrCrawdad said:

The put-downs of bloggers and web posters are common from dead-tree journalists. Fear does that.

john in cary said:

take a step back. if you're relevant you'll be read. if not you won't. acceptance (or lack thereof) by cowley is an indication that you are relevant (much like barbs from simon cowell on american idol). poke him back, if you like, but your success or failure has nothing to do with him.

donsox merk said:

Joe Cowley I have always found to be very polite and appreciative of comment to him. ERven when critical. I find him the exact opposite of some of these comments knocking him. He writes from knowledable sources and a very astute scribe he be. For your information name is Mark Gonzales...not Gonzalez GAGE..and Brandon not Bradon, I see you got it right the second time. But you are still very much a amateur in what you are doing. Trying to chide Joe Cowley a Proffessional scribe. And with years experience.