So Not An Expert

Professional Attire for Women: Is it OK for Ines Sainz and Other Women to Dress Provocatively at Work?

I'm going to take what seems an unlikely position for a female (and a feminist) here and say no.  No, it's not OK for women to bring out the sexy gear for the workplace. It's sleazy, tacky, and downright unprofessional.Ines Sainz in a dress that's perfectly acceptable for a night on the townBy now I'm sure you've heard all about the New York Jets' treatment of Mexican reporter Ines Sainz inside their locker room. Sainz was allegedly subjected to cat...

Click here for the full post »

LizaJane said:

Wow! I posted on Facebook expecting to anger many women and found most totally agreed. In short, girlfriend needs to put some clothes on if she wants to be taken seriously. That's all there is to it. As one of my FB friends commented, "You have to think about the message your clothes are sending...'take me seriously' or 'do me.'" (pardon the language!). I feel Ines is a media whore trying to get even more attention. When I saw the shirt she was wearing during her interview on the Today show, I went off the deep end. As I always say, "If the merchandise aint for sale, don't be putting out on display in the front window."

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

Wow! I am so, so glad to hear that women believe in respecting themselves. Yours is a great statement:

"girlfriend needs to put some clothes on if she wants to be taken seriously."

In the same league with Obama's claim that brothers gotta pull their pants up if you want respect.

So many women who support womens' rights, take the approach that women can wear whatever they want and everyone else just has to deal with it. I couldn't disagree with that more.

Totally agree with everything you posted! Thanks!

Sebas said:

So sad to read this kind of comments. With that logic she would be raped and that would be ok, right?
Sorry for my english but I speak spanish.

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

Sebas, thank you so much for your comment. No, I, and I don't believe anyone else here, is advocating raping someone who is dressed inappropriately. Never, ever, ever would I say such a thing. I'm only saying that if someone is going to dress inappropriately they can expect to hear some heckling and have some sort of a reaction. I'm not saying it's right, but you can guarantee it's going to happen. If I were to wear a snug and revealing shirt to my kids'school, I would expect people to have some sort of a reaction. Surely, that would cause dirty looks, raised eyebrows, whispering, gossip, and quite possibly some type of hubba hubba remark or come on. That's all.

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

From T.Z. on Twitter:
"I think it hurts more than helps women. Ines obvs knows what shes doing."

Me:
Thanks for commenting! Something tells me Ines is on the right track for something and it's not womankind. Also, I think she must be very insecure about her skills to have to add that to the mix.

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

From E.R. on Twitter:
"it's unprofessional and distracting. Makes me cringe when people (men & women) dress inappropriately at work."

Me: Yes, people don't go to work to ogle, so what's the point? Thanks for commenting!

kirby said:

She looks like an idiot.

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

Well said. What on earth can she be thinking? Even if I had a booty like that, I could never do it...especially at work!

Bumsteer said:

Perfect for Shots in the dark.. at least that's what someone told me.

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

Yes! And after business hours is key. Maybe I'm becoming more and more conservative. Seems with each kid I became more matronly, or had higher expectations of people. Very disappointing. Thanks for commenting!

cadarnell said:

I think this is a lot the Jets organization's fault. Somebody is in charge of who gets close to the players and that somebody saw, that day, and has seen in the past, that she dresses provocatively. All a representative for the organization would have to do is say NO !! .. you cannot go in there looking like that. I know that if a female rep was coming to my company to do a presentation and she was dressed like that, my boss would tell her to beat it, and come back when she could dress appropriately for the situation ... the jets brought this on themselves in a lot of ways...

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

Those are great points! I didn't realize the Jets could have controlled that situation a whole lot better. They had a responsibility here and blew it. That said, a reporter should use better judgment. I wouldn't walk into an animal shelter with sausage links hanging from my belt. Come on. Does she deserve to be harassed? No. In an ideal world she should be able to wear whatever floats her boat. But, should she expect to be harassed? Absolutely. We shouldn't put it all on men to play the gentleman part and protect or ignore her. She needs to be responsible for looking out for herself. Women have come so far over the years and to have someone like this still capitalizing on her ASSets is very disappointing, to say the least. I think you'd agree with that?

cadarnell said:

I do agree ... thanks for responding.

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

Thank YOU for reading and responding! Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Jerzey said:

Although I do not condone what the players did or how the reporter dressed, I do however, disagree completely with Cadarnell.

How could this be the Jets front office fault? That logic would be the equivalent of telling the officer who just pulled you over for speeding, that it's not your fault but the manufacturer's fault for not installing a speed governor to keep you from going over the speed limit.

What ever happened to accountability? Accountability to the men who made those comments out loud? Or the reporter who dresses provocatively in a MALE locker room?

Blaming it on the organization is a weak argument. Besides, had the Jets NOT allowed her in the locker based off of what she was wearing, I'm sure there would have been cries of discrimination, a "Catch 22" if you will.....Which brings me back to my original point. Accountability.

Jerzey said:

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

I see your point. I like this phrase I coined a few weeks ago:
Would you wear a belt of sausage links to an animal shelter? Thanks for reading and commenting.

jessica6 said:

I don't understand why everyone is being so immature about this. She has a right to dress however she wants, period. People seem to think they have a right to be "not offended", which is totally ridiculous. If it works for her, go for it. If she is not welcome at the event dressed the way she wants, she won't be permitted in. Obviously this is not the case.
It's not unusual in male oriented events (sports, namely) to have programs with a bunch of men commentators and the decorative woman.
Flip through the ESPNx channels, Speed, et al, for proof of that.

It's nobody's fault. It is what it is. Lighten up.

Jackie Tithof Steere said:

Thank for commenting and you bring up some very good points. You are right that she has every right to dress however she wants and I don't dispute that. But there are consequences, and that will usually play out as cat calls, whistling, and not so nice remarks. It seems that she's not bothered at all by what happened...she expected it. And every other woman who dresses in such a manner should expect some fallout, too. It's just wishful thinking that the world could be so ideal: men being gentlemen no matter the circumstances, women relying on their brains and skills and not their bodies, no struggle for the poor, children all having access to great schools, etc....