No Spain, No Gain

« Ted Lilly To Put His Money It's Official: The Blackhawks Aren't Going »

Get To Know Your 2010 Chicago Cubs

SarahSpain

Sports reporter, sarcastic smartass, music lover, funny gal.

Tuesday the Chicago Cubs finalized their 25-man roster. Left-handers Tyler Colvin and Chad Tracy earned the final spots, beating out Micah Hoffpauir, Sam Fuld, Chris Robinson (neither the Black Crowes singer nor the back-up catcher had a chance at making the final roster) and veteran Kevin Millar, who was released by the team.

Get to know a little bit more about the 25 men who will wear the Cubs "C" on Opening Day 2010...

Who is Chris Robinson? Never heard of him. It looks like he was a catcher. I don't think he was ever considered for the roster.

SarahSpain said:

Yup, he's a backup catcher. Hill had the job locked up but Robinson's role was still in flux when final cuts were made so I included him in the group that got reassigned when the 25-man roster was finalized.

In flux? Not really. He isn't even on the Cubs 40 man roster. He was just there to spell Soto and Hill in late innings during spring training games.

I would think Wellington Castillo would be ahead of him on the depth chart. Just curious--at first I thought of the singer from "Counting Crows." LOL

I wouldn't really call Soto more powerful after he lost the 40 lbs. Don't expect him to put up the power number he did in his rookie year but his average should go back up.

SarahSpain said:

By "in flux" I meant it hadn't been decided where he would be assigned (or at least so I thought). You're definitely right though, he had no chance of making it. My bad--it's been fixed. : ) Guess next year I should stay in AZ 'til the end of Spring Training to make sure I don't feed the masses (read: my handful of readers) the wrong info.

Julie, it's the Black Crowes guy that used to be married to Kate Hudson, but I totally thought of that too!

Doc--I questioned my wording on that, too, but since Soto's training regime caused him to lose fat and gain muscle, I do think he'll be more powerful. We'll see!

Gunzaan said:

How about some SOX coverage... you know, the team that actually has a chance of winning their division? :P