Message from Montie

« Seven-year-old Lamya Cammon gets hair cut Dilemma for a Chris Brown fan, »

Zazzle.com pulls 'Pray for Obama Psalm 109:8' items from online inventory

Message from Montie

Shamontiel is the author of two novels: "Change for a Twenty" and "Round Trip." Check her out at shamontiel.com.

pray_for_obama.jpg

It doesn't mean prayer like you think.

I've never voted for a Republican president. Oftentimes I do not agree with their views, but if somebody gave me a bumper sticker or a T-shirt praying for a Republican government official to die, I'd look at that person like he was insane. But on Zazzle.com and CafePress.com, bumper stickers and T-shirts were being sold stating, "Pray for Obama Psalm 109:8." The King James' version of this psalm is as follows:

----------

8 May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership.

9 May his children be fatherless and his wife a widow.

10 May his children be wandering beggars; may they be driven from their ruined homes.

11 May a creditor seize all he has; may strangers plunder the fruits of his labor.

12 May no one extend kindness to him or take pity on his fatherless children.

13 May his descendants be cut off, their names blotted out from the next generation.

14 May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the Lord; may the sin of his mother never be blotted out.

15 May their sins always remain before the Lord, that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth.

----------

I don't care how much you don't like President Barack Obama's policies. Wishing he'd not only be kicked out of office but dead, making First Lady Michelle Obama a widow and his children Sasha and Malia beg for food, is worse than "certainly not very nice." I read that "it's certainly not very nice" comment on USA Today's Web site from Cathleen Falsani and just shook my head. Something "not very nice" is shouting "You lie!" or throwing tomatoes. These folks supporting the "Pray for Obama Psalm 109.8" is flat out threatening. And with the history that Obama has created, it's not even realistic or logical to pray for.

~

Rolling Out's Web site reports that former Southern Baptist Convention officer Wiley Drake, pastor of First Southern Baptist Church in Buena Park, Calif., doesn't care if he's placed on the Secret Service or FBI's watch list for praying for President Obama's death. When did it become okay for preachers to start praying for people's death? This is the exact reason why I support the belief that religion should never mix with politics. These types of crazy rationales bring about more destructive results with people who fully believe this is the word of God. Slavery was justified by religion too, for those who have forgotten.

But at least Zazzle.com issued a statement that the "Pray for Obama" paraphernalia are in violation of Zazzle's User Agreement. Although Zazzle.com will continue to sell products that support or oppose President Obama's positions, the statement on their Web site says, "Zazzle will not permit products that may be interpreted to suggest violence toward the President." I checked Zazzle's Web site, and although there are items about praying for Obama, none are referencing Pslam 109:8. On CafePress' Web site, I find it interesting that one of the items "Praying for Barack 1 Timothy 2: 1-2" links to a PrayforBarack.com Web site where the creator states, "I may have voted for John, but now I'm praying for Barack."  Wyeth Willard chooses for "fellow Christians to come together and to support our president and his entire leadership." Imagine that. Having opposing views but not choosing to wish death on a person. Seems reasonable, doesn't it?

Now I know the folks who are annoyed about my blog on Sarah Palin and the tomatoes will call me a hypocrite for being opposed to the "Pray for Obama" products but treating the tomato incident like a joke, but last time I checked, nobody ever died from being hit with a tomato. And for the record, I'd never pray or support anybody's suggestion or psalm suggesting Sarah Palin be killed or have harm against any of her family. Why would I need to anyway with Dick Cheney's shooting skills?

jlo0312 said:

Montie, Montie, Montie,

How could you be so foolish? Is it wrong to pray for the defeat of an enemy? Or, is it wrong to pray for the downfall of an evil empire? Did people not pray for the death of Osama bin Laden or Saddam Hussein? Do we not pray for victory in war? Do we not hope that our beliefs are carried out? You must...you've never voted anything but Democratic...just a simple lemming that spouts off rhetoric whenever you get a chance.

Yes, you can take foolish pot-shots at Sarah Palin and call them a joke and then cry when things don't go your way; or better yet, you can play the bigot card, the racist card, the religion card, or the "fill-in-the-blank" phobia card. That's all you really have. History will show that Obama is a black President, a noble-prize winner, and an author, but it will soon show that he is a hypocrite, a liar, and a terrible Commander in Chief. It is fools like you with built-in hypocrisy that see the world so one-sided, a fairytale of "I am right, you are wrong." Why do you care that people pray against the President? Having never voted for the best person for the job, you are a strictly "along party lines" kinda person, huh? That's okay... blind followers are needed for anyone to succeed. If I asked you to write down 10 reasons that you voted for Obama, you wouldn't get past 3 or 4. I suppose that you could blog on the subject to prove me wrong, but you'd have to research the subject first. What is it? Health Care? His strong Foreign Policy? The great way he has led Illinois? His Muslim roots? What? What does Obama stand for? You don't know. But hey, that's okay. Blindly support someone and then cry when others don't follow your beliefs. Whine that people don't think along the same lines as you do. Bitch when people who don't support the President exercise their freedom of speech. Although you spout your rhetoric daily, piss on those who have thoughts and ideas contrary to yours. You are RIGHT, after all. No one else should have the right to voice their beliefs...why, well, that's just not fair. That is just wrong! Keep on writing! Please, would you next write us a beautiful blog on the value of being a radical Islamic terrorist? I'm sure you'll be able to justify it, if only to yourself. No doubt that you alone are on the right track!

Message from Montie said:

Jlo0312, let me respond to your message point for point:

Praying for someone to be out of office is one thing. Praying for his death is a whole new line of foolish, which ironically you call me. How about trying to make a point without name-calling, which is something I'm finding very common in anti-Obama messages, especially on YouTube videos. Osama bin Laden and Sadam Hussein are not on the same level as Obama, so how do you compare the two? Obama is not Muslim or a terrorist. I know various members who attend Trinity United Church of Christ. Now if you want to debate me on the topic of Trinity, click Reverend Dr. Jeremiah Wright, Racist or Proud to be Black?.

You immediately stated that I voted Democrat, but has it ever occured to you that there's another party. It's called Independent. Check your ballot box next time, okay? I don't vote on people based solely off of party. I voted based off of their beliefs, and I've never been able to stomach those of the Republican party.

Didn't play the bigot card, the race card, the religion card, or the fill-in-the-blank card, but I find it rather simple-minded that you immediately went there because I'm in support of Obama not dying. One has nothing to do with the other. It's a matter of intelligence. Just because you don't care for someone's political views doesn't mean they should be dead and their family suffer. That's evil on a whole new level.

I have ALWAYS voted for the best person for the job, but your views on that are a matter of opinion. I care about people praying for the president's death because it shows just how little that some people's brain power has developed.

I can give you 10 reasons off the top of my head without doing any research: 1) I was against the war, 2) health care reform, 3) Obama not being homophobic, 4) his contributions to Illinois charities, 5) his comprehension of the legal system unlike movie star government officials (Reagan and Schwarzenneger), 6) his views on fatherhood, 7) his views on HIV/AIDS prevention and signing the Ryan White CARE Act, 8) his views on uniting various races, 9) his views on Afghanistan and actually having a set date to leave, 10) his maturity level in not feeding into Palin's and McCain's piss poor campaigning. You want me to keep going?

Message from Montie said:

You come to a lot of assumptions in your blog, but never once did you take the time to see if I was "blindly voting." I stated clearly in the intro WHY it is I don't vote Republican, and it as based on political views. How would I come to these political decisions if not for actually reading about those in office? Exercising Freedom of Speech is one thing, but being put on the Feds list for your views is another. These shirts are not only supporting him being out of office but him dying, his kids left fatherless and poor, and a host of other illogical terms.

By calling Obama Muslim when he CLEARLY came from a Christian church, that shows just how much you need to get off YouTube and step into the real world. Stop checking out some videos and think you have facts. How about actually visiting the church to get some real facts? I did. Did you? How about praying about getting the views you have on politics carried out instead of wishing on a president's death? He's got three years left and maybe four more. You can hang. And if not, plane tickets are sold on Orbitz.com. Feel free to book a ticket anytime, one way!

jlo0312 said:

Hi Montie. Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Let me say that although my writing to you seems vitriolic, it's not. I am using words graphically as best that I know how to prove some points. Okay.
I will try to respond, point for point.

First of all, I never called Obama a Muslim; I said that he had Muslim roots Saddam obviously wasn't a Muslim, either. Here is a quote from his bio on Wikipedia "...was the President of Iraq from 16 July 1979 until 9 April 2003.A leading member of the revolutionary Ba'ath Party, which espoused secular pan-Arabism, economic modernization, and Arab socialism, Saddam played a key role in the 1968 coup that brought the party to long-term power.

The only reason that I stated that you vote blindly is due to the fact that you have only voted for Democrats, straight along party lines. The only reason that you would have said that was to portray to your readers that you are a staunch Democrat. In my view, that means that you take Democratic views as doctrine, and maybe review the other candidates. I did not vote for Obama because I do not believe in what he stands for. The Independent ticket is a joke and has been for several years. Please tell me you voted for Ralph Nader! My bet is that you've never voted Independent, nor do you know who the candidates have been in the last 4 elections.

When I referenced the "fill in the blank" card, that had nothing to do with your voting, but how people seem to react against those of us who tend not to follow the Obama-mania that has swept the Nation. We are damned if we speak out, damned if we don't. In fact, you basically stated that I was "simple-minded" and you were intelligent. Instead of standing up for your reasons then and there, you played the "idiot" card. I'm an idiot; you obviously are not.

To summarize why you voted for Obama, here is what I get out of the ten points you gave me:

1) You are against the war.
Your President just sent 200,000 more troops over to Afghanistan (THANK GOD). But, that must have been a crippling blow for your faith in the President.

2) Health Care Reform
Everyone thinks the Obama plan is HORRIBLE except for his supporters. Even Democrats are jumping ship.

3)Obama not being homophobic,
What does this have to do AT ALL with being President?

4) his contributions to Illinois charities,
These are called "tax breaks."

He understands ILLINOIS law, but his case record is not that snazzy. In fact, if you look back on articles written about Barack Obama, who had a lot of very prestigious offers that he turned down, he chose to let other lawyers do the talking. He never went to the Supreme Court, nor did he ever go to District Court. You can find the record here:http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/700499,CST-NWS-Obama-law17.article or his defense of Rezko (in prison now) here http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/353829,CST-NWS-rez23.article here.

6) his views on fatherhood,
Don't all men want to be good fathers? Most do. I do. Again, pointless. JFK wanted to be a good father, too.

7) his views on HIV/AIDS prevention and signing the Ryan White CARE Act,
Where has he gone with this so far?

8) his views on uniting various races
Uniting the races? How?

9) his views on Afghanistan and actually having a set date to leave
What date is that, again?

Ridiculous reason. Just plain ridiculous.

11)You want me to keep going?
Yes, put up some real reasons. Tell me why he is great, why he should be President, why he deserves the job. Anything but, "he is a good father that is not homophobic."

President or not, praying for death is in the Bible, the Koran, and the Talmud. Look it up, don't look it up. I personally don't care. But don't speak out of ignorance. I am glad that you know people that attend Trinity. I am not sure what that has to do with our differing views.

If he is clearly Christian, shouldn't he want to fight against those that want the Christians to be obliterated? They are, at this very moment, living in Afghanistan (and the United States).

I'm not convinced that you have searched your soul enough...or, researched your man enough. But, then again, you wanted to keep your Chris Brown CDs after he beat his girlfriend because it was "good music."

The root and the fruit.

Message from Montie said:

Jlo0312, Before you respond to me re-read your posts. You specifically said "his Muslim Roots" not what Wikipedia says. And using Wikipedia, a community reference that is forever putting in incorrect information, is a weak source to use. How about trying one with some credibility.

You say you use words to prove points, but you don't seem to be able to prove a point without name-calling, a very elementary school tactic (ex. "It is fools like you with built-in hypocrisy").

Never in my blog did I say I voted straight down the line for Democrats, yet again like the Muslim issue, you jumped to conclusions. I have voted for Democrats and Independent candidates, and before you make an assumption that I didn't, you might want to try asking.

As far as your points, 1) No, it wasn't a crippling blow. Read Bill Maher accuses Pres. Obama of sounding like Bush after presidential address on War in Afghanistan.

2) Democrats are jumping ship? You sure about that? Are you watching CNN? The vote was 60 yay and 40 nay. Seriously, watch a news station outside of Fox News and looking on Wikipedia.

3) His views on homophobia show that he actually does believe in the justice system and not judging people based on their sexual encounters. I've always thought the Don't ask/Don't tell system was ridiculous.

4) Not when he's volunteering his time, and he was doing that long before he wanted to be president.

5) So what you're saying is that when someone passes the bar, they would be blind and dumb to defend someone in another state and know nothing? And then they take this education to be voted in as a senator to vote on laws. That's like saying someone's degree is only good for their own homestate and they can't get a job anywhere else. Seriously, at least attempt to make sense.

6) Have you looked at the statistics on single mothers? Obviously not if you think "most men" want to be "good fathers."

7) He signed it. They're contributing to safe sex and prevention. Do you know anything about the Ryan White CARE Act? If not, click here. This was an issue for Ted Kennedy on. It provides HIV testing, education and prevention, medication and has helped over 500,000 people. *shaking my head that you didn't even bother to check it out*

8) By trying to eliminate the White America and Black America when it comes to politics. That in itself is a significant step. Have you even attempted to hear his speeches on race?

9) Deployment starts in 2010. Read the transcript. You should know the answer to this already.

10) I want you to make a valid point because every last one of yours was either not researched well or you didn't even know the facts. That's pitiful. You were better off not responding. You tell me not to speak out of ignorance but you don't seem to know anything. At least attempt to learn something outside of praying for death. If you know people FROM Trinity, then you'll know he is Christian, not Muslim as you accused him of being. I quoted YOUR comment.

And if you read that Chris Brown blog, you'll see that I clearly stated that I was not in agreement with Chris Brown's action, but his personal actions does not mean I'm going to ignore his music. Good for you. You read one blog. I also wrote about blogs about molestation, suicide, social networking, vegetarianism, slaughterhouses, companies shutting down, etc. But the only one you could wrap your mind around was one about a music artist. Good choice! How about you read my other ones? I don't spend my entire blog talking about President Obama, but I don't regret buying the CD of a man who is at least attempting to right his wrongs. Rihanna even stated that she wanted him to have a successful career. Nowhere in the celebrity world do they sign a contract saying they'd be model citizens, and although he did physically abuse her, you embrace people praying on Obama's death and his kids being fatherless. Realistically, who's worse?

remmub said:

ok ok...just to state the obivous here, the shirts say "pray for obama psalm 109:8" which states "May his days be few; may another take his place of leadership." the quote does not state Psalm 109:8-15 like you have posted and what the majority of your blog is about. when i read this i did not take as "lets kill the guy" i read it lets not re- elect him. lets hope he does something to where he will lose office. death did not come to mind. if youre going to blog about something blog about it but dont add esp in this case verses to something that clearly states only 1

Message from Montie said:

Remmumb, I did a search of those who follow and support this shirt, including Pastor Wiley Drake. They want him dead, not just re-elected. You may not have taken the standpoint of "let's kill the guy," but check around for those who are buying these shirts. They. Do. If you're going to respond to a blog, check out what else has been written about the psalm. It's convenient that you want the rest of the psalm eliminated when the people buying the churches and bumperstickers don't.

Nitch said:

I'm reading these posts thinking, 'Wow, there are a LOT of ignorant people out there.'
To all you low life Obama haters, I pray for YOUR death. how about that? Like that? No? Oh, I'm sorry, did I hurt your insignifican feelings? Tough.
Maybe I wasn't think about if you are a mother, or father, husband or wife. It must have slipped my mind.
Or maybe I didn't care that you have a job in which people rely on you. Nah, I didn't think about that at all.
ALL I care is that you DIE.

sounds ignorant, don't it? Yeah, & it's EXACTLY how you sound.

He won the election. Get over it. You don't like it, you are MORE than welcome to move out of country. But he's in, 4 years & then if you think he has not held up to his promises or has not done right by the citizens of this country, THEN & only then can you choose to vote him out.

But in the mean time, he is a HUMAN BEING. Just like you & me. Puts his shoes on the same way we do, worries about what his kids are eating, the same way we do, tells his wife that she is beautiful the way ALL men should. He is a Father to 2 young chilren & a husband to a supportive wife.

I can't help but think that people only hate him b/c they want to be more like him. jealous much? You sould be.

Think you can do a better job in his shoes? Try out for the job. But don't you DARE pray for his death. that makes you no better than the scum that gets on planes w/ bombs strapped to their bodies.

Message from Montie said:

Wow, Nitch, you go hard. I definitely agree with what you're saying. I'm not naive enough to believe that everyone will agree with Obama's decisions, but that shirt was just way too much. I've never wished on anybody's death. And even though Bush surely sent people on a suicide mission with the War in Iraq, I still didn't wish on his death or even want him to get hit with the shoe. The tomato isn't going to hurt anything? But a shoe could've put that man's eye out. And killing? Not even in entering my memory bank.

Message from Montie said:

Update 1/29/2010: After reading the conversation with President Barack H. Obama with the Republican Caucus, I was impressed with how level-headed he was no matter what question was thrown out. Better yet, he was big enough to admit when he was wrong and continuously insist that we (Democrats, Republicans and Independents) must stop all the finger-pointing about what the other side isn't doing instead of getting to the root of the issue. For that reason, as of this day, I'm going to stop saying "the Republicans don't want..." or "the Republicans want..." instead of narrowing it down to a particular issue. From this conversation, more often than is published via the media, the three parties can agree on issues, but we spend so much time attacking each other when we don't agree. This is one of the many reasons I continue to emphasize voting in all elections. It gives us the option to vote on people individually instead of just party voting. We should be paying attention to what each candidate says instead of the solo letter next to their names or skin complexion. So I'm going to stop my own finger-pointing and embrace the fact that so many Republicans find my political tweets (or any other type of tweets) interesting enough to follow on Twitter. Previously I wasn't thrilled about the idea, as I mentioned in "Tough love letter to African-Americans who don't vote, disrespect Dr. King's fight for our rights."

Tresix said:

And everyone wonders why I'm an Atheist.