Weekend Headlines: All Things Garza

(Chicago Tribune Photo)

You may or may not have heard about a trade the Cubs agreed to yesterday. You can rest assured the Chicago media did, and we're lucky enough to have gotten the columnists involved. If you're like me, you've been dying to know what Phil Rogers feels about the Garza trade, and our wait is over. You'd expect Crazy Uncle Phil to make a bold assertion right out of the box, proclaiming this trade either the greatest trade ever or the end of the world. You'd be wrong.

For the first time since Tom Ricketts closed the deal for his family to buy his favorite team, the Cubs have taken a possibly significant step forward in trading for Matt Garza. There's something to be said for breaking a streak, but as usual, fans are advised to hold their applause until the end.

Hedging our bets are we? Sounds like cautious optimism from our dear uncle. But no amount of players involved in the trade could keep him from focusing on public enemy #1.

Adding Garza,27, to a rotation behind Ryan Dempster and Carlos Zambrano hardly seems enough to close the gap significantly between the Cubs and the National League Central's first-division teams, the Cardinals, Reds and Brewers. But Garza has a powerful arm along the lines of Zambrano before his decline and thus has the potential to do what Zambrano did not -- develop into a reliable, long-term ace.

Phil made it about a third of the way through his column about the Garza trade before he started bashing Carlos Zambrano. If you'd like a discussion about how Carlos Zambrano's actually been better the last couple years than he was previously, please check out Doc's blog about it from yesterday. He's no Zambrano apologist, and even he agrees that Crazy Uncle Phil has some issues.

Barry Rozner says not to let the blame fall on Jim Hendry should this deal go awry. He wants you to place the blame squarely on the shoulders of Tom Ricketts.

But if this deal doesn't look good a year or two from now, Jim Hendry will take all the blame -- and he shouldn't.

This is on Tom Ricketts. He continues to employ Hendry, who's merely doing his job, which is to try to win immediately so that he can keep his job.

If that's a bad formula, then it's Ricketts' fault. If it seems to fly in the face of all Ricketts has said about building an organization and promoting the future, that's Ricketts' problem, too.

I don't think I disagree with anything written there. Well done, Barry. Finally, Gordon Wittenmyer gets to say, "I told you so!"

Sources say the deal, which was first reported close by the Sun-Times early this week, is done pending physicals.

Carl...I love the old-time photos you've been posting this week.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

Thanks, doc. I feel it's a waste to let all these fantastic Tribune photos go to waste....

I miss the optimism we had a year ago regarding the new ownership, I have a really bad feeling that this time next season I'm going to be missing the Trib

The real issue with our overall disappointment in the Ricketts family has been the fact that we all hoped that when they took over, unlike the tribune company, the Rickettses would actually put real baseball people in place to run the team. Alas, that hasn't happened, and the Ricketts family appears to have a more hands on approach than we had hoped they would. And you can say what you want about Jim Hendry, but the bigger problem right now is that Crane Kenney is still president of the organization.

I got that for the first year they wanted to leave things as they were, see what worked and what didn't, rather than be reactionary, but now that year is up and I don't see any sort of real philosophy for running not just the team, but the entire organization, this worries me because at least with a consistent philosophy you can say we're aiming to win by XYZ, or we want to improve the fan experience by ABC, if it doesn't work thats another issue, but at least pick something and stick with it

HackWilson09 said:

After 24 hours, i have settled down to the reality of how I feel about the Garza deal. There is a poll on Mlbtr that declares 61% of voters feel the Rays got a better package than the Royals. So there's that... And the obvious fact that Garza isn't as good. More on Hendry's incompetence in my next post.

On this wintwr's moves, it was painfully clear that if the Cubs didn't get AGonz, or even the lesser Dunn, that the offense would remain in the abyss. It was at thus point that Hendry should have cashed in his chips, but instead, he bluffs, betting all but 2-3 prospects and ten million dollars that he can win with his fresh draw of Garza and Pena. This is like adding a Queen and a seven to a chance at a queen-high straight. Now he's holding a queen, all red in the face, with no straight, and no flush, except in his face.

A middle order featuring Oena, Soriano, maybe-Ramirez and Sophomore Colvin is going to contribute to a very low-scoring team, and with a bunch of #2 starters... 70 wins tops.

cadarnell said:

if i was going to go all in for 2011 I would have rather done it with bats than arms ... but we're really not all in, and sure hope this last deal doesn't find us pot stuck ... as a cubs fan i am hoping for the best and stocking up on hard liquor for the more likely results this winter's moves will bring.

Cubs Stats said:

The Rozner quote is exceptional. I too wonder where Rickett's promises have gone.

I'm with Wilson: We just added a good card to a bad hand.

HackWilson09 said:

This is Hendry's track record:

Good:
- traded Hee Sop Choi for Derrek Lee
- traded middling prospects for Aramis Ramirez
- Signed Ted Lilly for 4x10, Byrd for 3x5. Yawn..

Bad:
Dear God!
- Picked up Josh Hamilton in the Rule V and immediately sold him to a division rival for cash.  The Reds dealt him for now-injured ace Edinson Volquez
- Let Casey McGehee go in Rule B, could have replaced Ramirez
- Signed Alfonso Soriano for 7 years at $118 mil - bidding against nobody!
- 4x12 for Fukudome
- Traded Nolasco, Pinto and Mitre for one season of Juan Pierre!
- Gave Marquis 7x3 after a season where his era was 6!
- Gave CPena $10x1 after he hit .196!

Now, to be fair, Jim eventually located a strong scouting staff, after some years of finding some good pitching talent. But in the process, how many top draft picks were wasted on injured players? How many busts were propped up as stars, and held onto like treasures until they were valueless?

You may say Hendry has succeded relatively when compared to all Cubs history. But he's got too much in payroll to be doing this poorly. Time to move on from Jim Hendry, and yes, from Krane Klown Kenney.

cadarnell said:

the pena deal is risky, but can't be called bad ... not just yet anyway ..

Northside Neuman said:

The Pena deal is far from risky, it's for one season. A season that the team is rebuilding and not considered a contender, it's a stop gap move.

Northside Neuman said:

Soriano got 8 years for $139 million, if your going to bitch, at least have the numbers right..

Marquis was well worth the money, he did exactly what the Cubs wanted him to be. The best 5th starter in the National League.

Pena is a one year deal, who cares! As long as his roster and payroll spot are open next season to allow the team to go shopping who gives a crap...

soo . . .. Did I miss anything?

sloan peterson said:

1. Your Sam Fuld pants may have dropped in value.

2.LOHO will have to think of a nickname for Garza.....

My nickname for Garza..."The Farm"

sloan peterson said:

Perhaps "The Whole Migallah"...

HackWilson09 said:

Enchilada

If I was on vacation and when I came back I saw that the Cubs traded away their entire farm system, I would have turned around and gone back on vacation.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

You must never leave again. Next time you go we'll end up with Javier Vasquez.

berselius said:

Javier Vazquez >>>>>>>>> Matt Garza

I think I agree with that statement...and that depresses me.

jarowcliffe said:

Im not from Chicago so I didnt see any paper but I guess the Sun Times put a picture of "Garza" on the front of the Sports section, except it wasnt Garza it was Joaquin Benoit!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I hope this works... In defense of the Sun-Times, both have facial hair and hispanic names. http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/rays/imagebrowser/view/imagecache/27318/Full