Tuesday Cubs Headlines: Jeff Samardzija Is Fighting For Your Love

jeff-samardzija-cubs_nc.jpg

We've got 22 days until pitchers and catchers report, and Cubs news  is harder to come by then ever,  So I knew you guys would be glad when I came across this article at Cubs.com about how committed Jeff Samardzija is to making you happy.

CHICAGO -- Jeff Samardzija is so excited about how his offseason is going and how well he's throwing that he told two reporters to come down to Arizona to watch.

This will be a key spring for the Cubs pitcher.

"I'm kind of taking a different approach to it this year," Samardzija said. "You don't want to sound selfish, but I'm taking care of what I can take care of. I'm sure the list is up to seven or eight guys trying for the starting rotation. It's the same song every year."

I suspect that the two 'reporters' were his mom and dad. Also, I'd like to point out that mostly what Jeff has been able to "take care of" the last two years has been providing multiple souvenirs for the bleacher crowd. But perhaps I'm being too harsh.

The list of candidates for the five spots in the rotation was reduced by one when the Cubs dealt Tom Gorzelanny to the Nationals. This season will be different for Samardzija because he's out of options. Samardzija, who turned 26 on Sunday, is aware of his status.

"I really don't care, to tell you the truth," he said about the need to make the 25-man roster. "I'm very, very excited with how things are going and me being down there [in Arizona] since early November. How I'm working out, how I'm throwing the ball, how I'm throwing off the mound already, I'm very, very excited.

"I know at the end of the year, it'll be a different story than what it is now. A lot is to be written, but I'm excited. I feel great, I really do."

As long as you feel good, Jeff. That's really all that matters. Don't let those pesky batters get in the way of your self-esteem.

You know who doesn't feel all that great right now? Me, after reading this and realizing that the trade of Gorzelanny improved your chances of making the rotation. Dammit.

Let's move on. Speaking of having terrible years, Carlos Pena wants us to know that we should be GRATEFUL that he hit .196 last year:

CHICAGO -- Batting .196 in a full season in the big leagues can humble you. Just ask Carlos Pena.

"I'm happy I went through the struggles I went through last year, because it makes me stronger," Pena said. "Today, the Cubs are getting a better player because of it."

Pena and Cubs hitting coach Rudy Jaramillo started work in the batting cage this past week in Dallas. Jaramillo got a head start on the private session by watching video of the first baseman shortly after Pena signed with the Cubs in December.

Now that Carlos is working with the highest paid hitting coach in the history of the world, I'm sure his problems are behind him.

Do you suffer from a burning desire to have the guy driving behind you know where your loyalties lie? Well, there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

Until now. Jessie White to the rescue!

The Illinois Secretary of State's office on Wednesday will begin ­selling Cubs-themed license plates for $69, with proceeds benefitting Illinois schools. The plates will have a Cubs royal-blue background and team logo.

Can you NOT throw away a dozen hot dogs? Can you park cars in straight line? If so, the Cubs want you:

#Cubs are hiring Wrigley Field Ambassadors and Fan Experience Interns. Send your résumé to cubsjobs@cubs.com by Friday: http://bit.ly/9GXXBF

Happy Tuesday, everyone!

plamorte said:

Cubs license plate : $69
2 inch sticker for plate: $99

i love you Illinois. (though i know someone in Colorado who just paid over $400 to register their plates, so cant bitch too much)

I think Adam had the tweet of the day yesterday: If Rahm Emmanuel can't figure out how to buy off the appellate process, he has no business being mayor of Chicago.

jarowcliffe said:

I'm going to get one just to piss off Cardinals fans that cant because their team isn't in Illinois. Suckers!

FrankS said:

Ya know what, maybe it would help out the state's financial problems if Jesse White offered Cardinal plates. I only live 50 miles from Chicago, but I bet 10% or more of the baseball fans around here are Cardinal fans and the percentage grows as you go south and west. By the time you get to Bloomington or Peoria, it's probably almost 50% Cardinal fans.

jarowcliffe said:

I live about 100 miles from St. Louis and it is easily 75/25, Cards to Cubs around here. Used to be 60/40 Cubs to Cards when I was growing up. Seems like McGwire is what changed everything. I guess rednecks down here related more with McGwire than they did with Sosa.

You are right there is a huge Cards following and it definitely wouldnt hurt to offer Cards plates, a lot of them would be sold in Illinois too.

ELRaythar said:

I thought every team already had license plates deals with their respective states.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I bet Jeff Samardzija's been working pretty hardcore on his tan this winter, too.

sloan peterson said:

Did he attend Zoner Harris Tanning Camp in the offseason?:)

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

And don't you think you'd want your hitting coach looking at video of a .196 hitter before signing him, to see if it was something he could fix?

jarowcliffe said:

Details...Details....

sloan peterson said:

No-it would ruin the surprise....

post of the day contender.

sloan peterson said:

Spellcheck is a fine example of what training experts call "Generation Y" thinking. In training books, Gen Y people have been so conditioned to have such a high opinion of themselves and have been so protected from failure that they have difficulty in learning from other people,taking/fully listening to criticism/instruction, and learning from mistakes or failure. They are the new hires whose second question is "When can I go on vacation?" They want to know how many years it takes to be manager/supervisor/VP, and act dismayed if the answer is more than 2 years.They cannot learn from written texts with too many words; white space,games, and constant stroking are used. If Spellcheck was with another team, he would have been kicked around and let go already.....

So...here's my plan...

As of right now, I'm planning on giving up my season tickets after the season is over. So maybe next year I'll become a fan ambassador. I'll still get to go to a lot of games and instead of paying the Cubs to go, they pay me.

hahahahaha....suckers!!!!

sloan peterson said:

I have a feeling they will "pay" the fan ambassadors in Illinois IOUs...That's how CA will pay CA tax refunds filed March 2011 or later...

jarowcliffe said:

The MUCH anticipated return of.....Todd Wellemeyer!!

seriously? he's totally on the list of players that I like more than perhaps other people think is reflective of their stats

I . . . I don't understand.

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

We need more mediocre starters and/or relievers.

I think they should bring back lots of ex players, if they have their old uniforms it'll cut down on the clothing expenses

eh, $800k not guaranteed, I assume he doesn't make the team he doesn't get paid, yes? welcome back Todd

sloan peterson said:

If he doesn't work out,they can make Wellemeyer a fan ambassador....

this is a great idea

I love how MLBTraderumors states that Wellemeyer is "returning to the team that drafted and developed him." Drafted? yes. Developed? Um...no.

So what exactly is the role that the Cubs intend to use Wellemeyer for? Insurance in case the first 15 starting pitchers they currently have all get injured?

contender for post of the day.

I should amend that...it would be assuming the first 15 starting pitchers all get injured at the same time. Considering the cut-backs the Ricketts family is making, that very well could happen if the "Cubbie Express" were to crash into, oh, an Amish buggy or something on a trip to Pittsburgh. The Cubs 15 starting pitchers all killed by an Amish buggy. Yep.

thats too long to be post of the day

Sloan's comment is much more deserving anyway.

off topic, but as much as I can't stand the virtual waiting room at least the Cubs tell you when tickets go on sale, and they are on sale that day, there is an AL team thats really beginning to piss me off with their inability to let me know when the tickets I want are going to be available

Well...that's the American League...where only white trash rednecks run teams.

jarowcliffe said:

What did white trash rednecks ever do to you?

Well...first off, they inhabit the entire state which I currently live in...and it's seriously annoying...especially since the Packers won on Sunday.

sloan peterson said:

You want to be the one to tell Artie Moreno he's a redneck? :)

Well...it all depends on how broad your definition of redneck is. In a matter of speaking...um...

Too bad today isn't Friday...the theme to Black Adder just came up on my iPod shuffle.

Teebob2000 said:

Which Styx album is that on?

one of the early ones...before Tommy Shaw joined the band, I think.

HackWilson09 said:

Hendry would pay Todd Wellemeyer as much as $1.2 million this year.

Gorzellany would have earned $2.1 million, is left-handed, and is easily as good as Wells or Silva while providing at least one lefy option.

No prospect in the trade is really expected to amount to anything.

Hendry still has a job.

Is there a job available that's the opposite of "ambassador", because I think that's the only thing I could stomach this year.

Oh, wait, that position is filled by Todd Ricketts.

sloan peterson said:

I think the opposite of "Cubs ambassador" could be "Chicago Tribune columnist."....