Thursday Headlines: Obligatory Hall of Fame Post

bert%20blyleven[1].jpg
(Pic from MLBlogs.com)

Yesterday, a small museum in rural New York revealed it will be inducting two new members, or so I'm told. Following the goings-on of small museums ruled cruelly by old white men is not normally one of my hobbies, but if Phil Rogers thinks it's a big deal, you can bet I'm going to at least give it a look:

Roberto Alomar and Bert Blyleven will join long-time general manager Pat Gillick in being inducted into baseball's Hall of Fame next July. There was no surprise there, as both were near-misses in 2010.
Pat Gillick! Wow. Maybe this IS a big story, after all. Still, after the first sentence of the article, I saw no Cubs connection and was ready to move on to the huge story of the Cubs Caravan stopping in Rockford today. But then I saw this shocker:

The most intriguing development in the 2011 vote was found a lot further down the ballot. Rafael Palmeiro, who amassed 569 home runs and 3,020 hits in a career that began with the 1986 Cubs drew less support from voters than the likes of Dave Parker, Don Mattingly and Dale Murphy.
Now this...well, this changes everything.
Nah, I'm just messing with you. This changes nothing. It's pretty obvious at this point that anyone suspected or "convicted" of steroid use isn't going to get into The Hall anytime soon, even if they started their career as a Cub. I'm not sure why this is even news anymore. Even after the McGwire/LaRussa Reputation Rehab Tour of 2010, McGwire got about as many votes as I did for the HOF. Like it or not, that's the way it's going to be, so let's all stop acting surprised about it, OK? Deal?

In other news, that Garza-to-Cubs thing? Yeah, probably not happening. That is, if you can believe the Cubs' denials, and in this case I actually do (for now). As fun as it would be for the Cubs to make a big move in the offseason, is Matt Garza really the one piece keeping the Cubs from being a contender? (No, of course not.) It pains me to say it, but 2011 is probably not going to be a championship year, Garza or no Garza. Better to plan for the future - wisely.

Happy Thursday. I'll get better at this, I promise.

jarowcliffe said:

Congrats on the first post...It was not bad, don't sell yourself short.

"McGwire/LaRussa Reputation Rehab Tour of 2010"---Love it!

sloan peterson said:

Perhaps LaRussa and McGwire could get a reality show on the new Oprah network...:)

cadarnell said:

+1 on the "McGwire/LaRussa Reputation Rehab Tour of 2010" ... hilarious !!

sloan peterson said:

I was watching MLB Network and was crackin up on what Larry Bowa and Mitch Williams were saying about the Cubs in 2011- I guess Williams is not being figured for the announcer spot since he ripped the Cubs management re handling of Sandberg. Bowa kept apologising to Cubs fans as he stated the Cubs only won last season at the end because they were playing losing tired teams. Williams kept stating the Cubs appeared to have too many question marks in the bullpen and the field which is why he felt the Cubs needed to reassure Cubs fans with the choice of manager. ...

cadarnell said:

the handling of the sandberg situation has the potential to be something that haunts cubs fans and jim hendry forever ... if he turns out to be a great manager for the phillies, while at the same time the cubs are still trying to find a great manager, it will be typical cubs fan lore .. I know I won't be *over* ryno being gone until Q has us 20 games over .500 ....

plamorte said:

anyone have pics or video of Alomar from yesterday? I keep reading how sickly he looked...

Hmm, there's still time to amend my deadpool...

jarowcliffe said:

That video makes him look like Bert Blyleven to me...lol

jarowcliffe said:

He looks fine to me

keywestcubfan said:

Pete: Interesting amusing and informative thoughts. Happy Thursday. (the pic at top is funny as hell too)

HackWilson09 said:

Despite the fact that I have licked and stuck multiple gold stars on their plaques, Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa have yet to accept their placement in the Candy Maldanado Hall of Shame that I have set up in a garage behind a strip club in Lyons Township. Their plaques have been carved lovingly out of genuine pine wood. Well, not carved actually. I burned their likenesses onto planks with a red-hot poker. This year, Raffy, Roger Clemens and Mel Rojas are to be inducted, and the veterans committee is considering the inclusion of Mark Lemongello this winter, if it gets bored.

Pete Gaines said:

I have been boycotting the Candy Maldonado Hall of Shame for years based on the continued snubs of both Chico Walker and Hector Villanueva.

I have not, however, been boycotting the Lyons Township strip club. Tell Mystique I said hi.

HackWilson09 said:

As we have indicated in the past, Chico and Hector are welcome, but only if they share the same plaque, and Hector's mom caters the dinner that night.

HackWilson09 said:

Any other votes for the Hall of Shame? You are the committee!

keywestcubfan said:

Ken Rietz. His nickname, "Zamboni" was thought to be because of his prowess on defense, but actually was a reference to his cocaine addiction. (which of course came to light after he became a member of the Chicago Cubs) Leon "Bull" Durham falls into this category as well. (his nickname is self explanatory)

sloan peterson said:

RE: Palmeiro: every time I hear his name, I think of the Cubs player( whom I cannot remember the name)that stated when Palmeiro went to another team that none of the Cubs would miss him,"and the only people who will miss him are the little girls." To this day, that is was I associate with him...

Also are you going to wait until D-Lee retires to add him too?

cadarnell said:

i say put d. lee in now ... he earned it by not taking the 1st trade hendry worked out with the angels last season ...

really D Lee? maybe int the half season doghouse, but the Hall of Shame?

HackWilson09 said:

If he's willing to share a ride with Chico and Hector, then yes. We have limited parking available.

Alfonso Soriano tops next year's ballot. Our keynote speakers will be Shane Andrews and Willie Greene - they will be wearing a fake Siamese twin suit that my wife is sewing for them.

cadarnell said:

aren't we forgetting the little fisherman ??

good to have you around Pete

Dmband said:

I think the bigger story is the folks who did in fact vote for McGwire should have thier ballots taken away.

my issue though is do they not vote for anyone with any allegations or rumors of use, or just htose that have admitted it or been found guily, although McQuire shouldn't get in either way, with or withour the PEDs

HackWilson09 said:

One day it'll be more clear just how many people were doing this, and everyone will be horrified. I just hope that the fingers all point in the right direction. There was one man who made the steroid era possible by simply letting it happen: Bud Selig.

At that point, fans and voters will look back and ponder ... if there is a rack of ten bats and nine of them are corked, are you going to take the other one? I realize it was never that bad, but the fact is, HOF voting is done to measure players within an era, and if most of the stars were doing it, some of these dudes are going to get votes, all emotion and politics aside.

All that being said, I hope that anyone who ever willingly took PED's, and has either admitted it or been caught undeniably in the act, never gets in.

I have no illusions that the number of players that were doing PEDs is much higher than anyone in MLB is willing to admit, but there are a few players that would really bother me if I find out they were on steroids

HackWilson09 said:

Puhols...?

cadarnell said:

I'm all for letting players in who had way over the top numbers, but a borderline guy who was known to be juiced should never get in, IMO ...

Dmband said:

Fb-

Thats the thing, regardless of proof of use or not, his numbers arent good enough anyhow.

But I think its pretty clear the hall voters have drawn a line in the sand with "suspected" use or in some cases, simply the eye test.
Possibly a slippery slope, no?

yeah, for some reason the idea that rumors are going to be used as deciding factors is weird, how substantial do the rumors need to be?

I guess this ultimately isn't that much different that when pleayers do or don't get votes from specific writers because of personality or something, but if they don't vote for a player based on PED rumors are they going to actually come out and say that?

FrankS said:

Are you referring to McGwire? Ignore the PED issue. The guy had a career OPS+ of 162, was voted to the All-Star team 12 times, won 3 Silver Slugger awards and was the American League Rookie of the Year in 1987, hit over 500 home runs and had over 1400 RBI. Those look like HOF numbers to me.

Dmband said:

Im quite certain if I went to the local store, purchased a pack of Fleer baseball cards, the first card I got would STILL be Oil Can Boyd.

I thought of that after seeing the name Candy Maldanado who I believe was also a extemem repeat offender in the Fleer baseball collection.

Stupid Fleer.

cubby23(eric) said:

The "Cobra"...Dave Parker was a beast. I remember his Pirate days most, but he was solid with Cinci and to some degree Oakland as well.

A lot of mediocre former Cubs in this post...where's Kal Daniels name. I think anywhere there's a Chico Walker nomination Domingo Ramos shouldn't be far behind.