Friday Headlines: Your #1 Source For Baltimore Sports News

0[1].jpg
(Pic from YouTube. If you mumble it, "Bobblehead" sounds like "Baltimorehead.")

If there was any doubt that this is, ah, not The Most Exciting Offseason the Cubs have ever experienced, try this on for size: the biggest news today in the Cubsosphere (I just made that up!) is that semi-beloved former Atlanta Brave Derrek Lee is now officially a Baltimore Oriole. While I certainly wish D-Lee all the luck in the world as an Oriole (until they meet and get crushed by the Cubs in the 2011 World Series, of course), Cubs fans might cringe at this bit of information (from the Baltimore Sun, your #1 source for Chicago Cubs news):

He hasn't swung a bat this offseason, but expects to be cleared soon.
Yikes, For a guy with a reputation for notoriously slow spring starts, that can't bode well for the poor Orioles. In a division like the AL East, good luck moseying slowly out of the gate this Spring.

Here ends your regularly-scheduled Maryland current events update. Back to Chicago!

It's pretty quiet on the Cub front today, but you may or may not be interested to know that Justin Berg will be playing drums at Buddy Guy's Legends next week, benefiting Ryan Dempster's charity. Good for them! There's also something about celebrating Vine Line's 25th anniversary in there, but I've outsourced my opinions about that to Cincinnati.

Happy Friday. What are YOU doing this weekend?

plamorte said:

"Bruce Miles is reporting that the Cubs will send Chris Archer, Brandon Guyer, Hak-Ju Lee and Robinson Chirinos for Matt Garza."

You never know how prospects will turn out but that sounds like a big haul. Archer you knew would go but didn't think they would do Hak-Ju as well

Pete Gaines said:

Jeez, I kinda wish Bruce Miles had posted that at, oh, 7:15 this morning. Kinda blows my "ain't nothing happening on the Garza front so I'm going to talk about the Orioles" post out of the water...

Bruce loves to play headgames.

plamorte said:

Chirinos doesn't bother as much because Soto should be a mainstay

cubby23(eric) said:

I'm not a Soto fan so I was hoping Chirinos was going to develop into their future catcher.

What about Castillo? I have no problem with the Cubs trading catchers---we have a veritable cornucopia of them.

Stylin19 said:

any news on the Matt Garza deal? Nothing on chicagocubs.com but espnchicago has the deal being close. I thought this deal was dead with Tampa saying that Garza was an important piece. Anyone know anything about this?

plamorte said:

it was dead until the Cubs realized more teams would be in for him come July. So Hendry made an offer where he overpays. Typical. But nothing official yet so you won't see it on Cubs.com

Stylin19 said:

I guess I should read the comments before I post a question. My Fail.

No worries. I was on vacation and was oblivious for a full three days.

CubsMagicNumber said:

"And no, the revelation that neither Mark Grace nor Rick Sutcliffe are likely to leave their current TV gigs for WGN-AM does not count as news. You and I both knew that. Come on."

Yeah. but a girl can dream, can't she? I want my manwh... er... Gracie back in Chicago!

What about Karros?

Teebob2000 said:

Friday 5 random iPod playlist:
Baby Fratelli - The Fratellis
Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone - Pud Brown and His New Orleans Jazzmen
There Ain't No Flies On Me - Hot Lips Page
Cool For Cats -Squeeze
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own - U2

HackWilson09 said:

I am gluing 2 planks of wood together for Hendry's plaque in the Lyons Township Hall of Shame this morning.

Well... Let's talk this out.

I declared yesterday that I could live with us trading Archer for Garza. Despite a very good season, Archer has always had control problems, and this past year, despite being a great one, featured 65 walks in 142 innings. I think he may be better than Wells or Gorzellany, but then again, who isn't? Garza is significantly better than Archer right now, and likely will be for 3 more years.

But what about the rest? The Korean kid is supposed to be a defensive whiz, but he lacks any power, and his offensive numbers are just above average. But why include both Guyer and Chirinos? Guyer... Okay, he's an older prospect, and that's a red flag - but his numbers were awfully good last year. I think our organization has way too much faith in Tyler Colvin to let go of Guyer as another backup. But we'll see. He is almost 25, so maybe it's no big deal. Chirinos, too - the converted infielder, he'll be 26.

So Matt Garza... His 3-year daytime era is 3.41 - that' encouraging, and a move the the NL and away from the AL East always means better numbers.

The other piece of this is the fact that Hendry is going to be asking for one more player in this deal. Who will it be?

Hustlelikereed said:

Yippeee... if the reports are correct, the keys to the farm have been handed over. In reality 2 very good and 2 better than average talents for a No.2 in the rotation guy... great work Jim. NOT. Lee is 2 years away from giving us a great middle infield, Guyer, Archer and Chirinos even sooner. Are we going to really compete before 2013? So why throw away 4 good young talents on a pitcher who will not lead us to the promised land - unless that is Hendry is sacked as a result?

HackWilson09 said:

Leading toward Hendry being sacked? Well, maybe this IS good news then.

He kept McNutt. This is a very good thing. McNutt will be a better pitcher than Archer, you will see. And Brett Jackson, obviously - that kid will be the first true leadoff man to come out of this organization since Lou Brock.

plamorte said:

Garza, a minor league OF and P to Cubs for Fuld, Guyer, Chirinos, Archer and Lee according to Levine.

Julie better get rid of those Fuld pants now

cubby23(eric) said:

I'm hoping those minor league pieces from Tampa are all top-10 Rays prospects.

sloan peterson said:

Wait until Julie finds out...

this is what happens when you bail for vacation

jarowcliffe said:

I really dont feel that bad about this deal...

Hustlelikereed said:

I feel better now Fuld is included... a luxury in a 25man roster.

I don't really know how to feel about this.

Pete Gaines said:

My thoughts exactly.

ELRaythar said:

This is a win win the way I see it. The Cubs will likely have 3 years of Garza, and by the end of his tenure we should have seen at least one team in contention (contingent on our top prospects working out). And, if our end of the deal turns into a powerhouse, it could lead to Hendry being dismissed. So... win win!

ELRaythar said:

by which I meant, the end of the deal that we sent them.

HackWilson09 said:

I was leaning toward being okay, but now I'm pissed off that they included Sam Fuld. I don't think Fuld was given enough of a chance in the 24th / 25th man role. I just love his attitude and his glove, and he'd be a good man to lead off 3 or 4 times a month. The other outfielder they got is a true waste of roster space, not Fuld.

Of course Hendry gathers in another pitcher, because he can't stop keeping his roster out of balance with 24 maybe arms.

Fire Hendry. I'm so sick of this.

sloan peterson said:

On the other hand,maybe none of the prospects may work out, and it won't be too bad to have given them up for Garza. I already knew Sutcliffe wouldn't give up his gig,but I hoped Gracie might.....

When it comes to the Cubs, I will always take etablished talent over prospects. The Cubs either fail at evaluation or mishandle them in the system.