Cubs Acquire Matt Garza from Rays

garza620[1].jpg
(Tribune Photo)

Only one day after the Chicago Cubs denied that a deal was in the works for Tampa Bay Rays starting pitcher Matt Garza, it appears that Garza is, or is close to being, a Cub at last. I guess that'll be the last time I believe anything the Cubs say; I should have known better. Here's what Dave van Dyck has to say for now:

The names apparently will include minor-leaguer right-hander Chris Archer, obtained in the Mark DeRosa trade with Cleveland, and shortstop Hak-Ju Lee. Both are considered the Cubs' top prospects at their positions, but Archer is at least a year away from the majors and Lee is stuck behind Starlin Castro. Among other names floated in the proposed deal are Brandon Guyer and catching prospect Robinson Chirinos.

While the cost seems a bit steep (in addition to the names above, Sam Fuld is also reportedly headed south) - I was at peace with a youth movement over the next couple years, but that youth is now on a Greyhound bus to St. Petersburg  - this much is certain: the Cubs now have one of the finest collections of #2 starters in all of baseball. So, overall....yay? Maybe false hope for the season is better than no hope at all; I guess we'll find out.

ELRaythar said:

From Jon Heyman: "interesting note: rays wall street titans sternberg, silverman & friedman acquire ex-lehman ceo richard fuld's nephew sam"

Maybe everything that's wrong with the Cubs was some sort of karmic justice for employing a direct relative of the lehman firm

I love how the Cubs killed their own farm system to acquire someone that really doesn't address any of the issues that this team is currently facing...dumping large salaries, second base, backup catcher, the bench, the bullpen...

Instead, the Cubs get an inconsistent pitcher who is no better than 1/2 of their rotation already. On top of that, with Z, Dempster, Silva, Wells, Diamond, Coleman, Cashner, Gorzelanny, and Marshall, the Cubs now have 10 starting pitchers on their roster.

jarowcliffe said:

I dont get how you see Garza as an inconsistent pitcher...

2008: 3.70 era 1.240 whip 184 inn
2009: 3.95 era 1.261 whip 203 inn
2010: 3.91 era 1.251 whip 204 inn

Seems to be the model of consistency to me...the only thing that is inconsistent is his strikeouts..128, 189 and, 150 respectively.

I think we gave up a lot but I also think it made the '11 Cubs better and '12 Cubs a lot better.

Inconsistent over the course of a season...one really good outing followed by a really bad one...

I don't see him as a real good fit at Wrigley either. Hopefully the switch over to the NL will help his numbers, but as a flyball pitcher, I don't see that being the case.

I would agree that the potential is there that this improves the team in 2012 and 2013...as Zambrano, Silva and Dempster all become free agents with Garza still under team control. You can say what you want about Garza, but he simply is nothing more than a slightly lesser version of Zambrano.

just a bit of a comparison...(and I know there is a difference between the NL and AL...

ERA+ over the last 2 seasons:
Zambrano: 123
Dempster: 117
Wells: 119
Silva: 85

Garza: 105

In fact, last season alone, Zambrano, Coleman, Silva, Wells, Dempster and Gorzelanny all had an ERA+ better than Garza did.

berselius said:

For what it's worth, 'inconsistent' pitchers by that definition actually have slightly more value. You'd rather have a guy who pitches lights out every once in awhile and gets hammered every once inawhile as opposed to a guy who just pitches mediocre all the time. Lilly was exactly one of these guys.

I would agree with that assessment...but I don't see the Cubs ever making a trade of this sort for Ted Lilly.

I haven't researched it...but how does Garza project moving over to the NL and to Wrigley Field?

berselius said:

I don't know how the translations work out, but he should be yet another of our really-good-but-not-great SPs. Not really ZOMGACE material. I think a slightly better Ted Lilly could be a good comp but Ted, while a flyball pitcher, was a pretty unique one.

I'm not quite sure I gave Matt Garza a fair shot, I didn't give any credit to the Matt Clement beard reappearing on the Cubs

oh, dear god!

if he shows up to spring training with no facial hair I'm going to be very disappointed

keywestcubfan said:

Clemgarzbrano!

Cubs Psychologist said:

Has anyone heard from Julie or Carl??? We gave away soo much for Garza, I think that we might have traded them too!

I'm waiting for the news that the Cubs are getting Evan Longoria in this deal.

Cubs Psychologist said:

No joke!!! Is there anyone left in the farm system?? I was waiting to hear that they traded cities as well.

All we have left now is Brett Jackson and Josh "worthless stock" Vitters.

keywestcubfan said:

You forgot about Ryne Sandberg. Oh, wait....

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

I'm here, I just asked Hendry to make a trade on one of Pete's first days, so he'd have something to write about and look spectacular.

Teebob2000 said:

Let's do this!! It'll shake things up in a season in which we were otherwise expecting nothing or worse to happen!

keywestcubfan said:

Yeah, let's! Teams can play over their heads, like the '98 Cubs who won the wildcard, after Harry left us. That team got their butts kicked in the playoffs, but what a fun year!! Maybe we can actually have a competitive season this year! Baseball has more intangibles than any of the other professional sports. No time clock and all...
Sorry, the above post is part of my Dr. ordered therapy.

MillsChC said:

See ya Sam Fuld... don't forget to leave a pair of your pants behind before you leave.

Rich Beckman said:

This trade makes the Pena signing look like the work of a genius.