Wednesday Headlines: Jim Hendry, Please do Something before Xmas

Thumbnail image for FukyFree.jpg

Fun holiday photoshopping, as always, brough to you by the fabulous @plamorte.

The Cubs are still in a holding pattern, apparently still waiting on Brandon Webb and Matt Garza.

--The Cubs continue to look at former Diamondbacks standout Brandon Webb, who has been beset by shoulder problems the last couple of years. To sign Webb, the Cubs would prefer a low base with incentives.

--Matt Garza is still very much in play for the Cubs, who are still trying to get a hand on the Tampa Bay Rays' appetite for moving the pitcher. Last week at the winter meetings, Rays manager Joe Maddon said Garza would be pitching for Tampa next year. Of course, managers say a lot of things (as we know from the last couple we've had on the North Side) based on their own self-interest. It's still a story worth following.

And Hendry seems real about dealing, with only a couple prospects off-limits.

--As we wrote last week, the only prospects the Cubs won't move are Brett Jackson and Chris Archer. All the others would be on the table in trade talks. That includes Josh Vitters and Jay Jackson.
With Cliff Lee now off the market, Bruce Levine expects more to happen, with the Yankees and Rangers having missed out on their big free agent.

The big question that remains to be answered is whether Texas, the Yankees or Angels will come looking for a starter like the Cubs' Carlos Zambrano after Garza is traded. At this point, the Cubs are not expecting to trade Zambrano, and they're not entertaining offers. He's expected to be at the top of their rotation, along with Ryan Dempster and possibly Garza.

But even if the Cubs managed to figure out a trade for Zambrano, would Zambrano agree?

If not, the old rumors about Zambrano being moved are likely to resurface. First of all, Zambrano has 5-10 veto rights on any possible trade. That means the team must come to him before any deal is made and ask for permission. Zambrano has been adamant about not being moved.

"I want to stay in Chicago and help the Cubs win a World Series," he told ESPNChicago.com at the end of the 2010 season.

To round things out today, Starlin Castro has been heating up in the Dominican Winter League.

Starlin Castro went 4-for-4, including an RBI single in the fifth, in Escogido's 10-6 loss to Estrellas in Dominican Winter Ball on Friday. Castro is 8-for-12 in his last three games with four runs, three RBIs, and a triple. He's hitting .289 in 10 games overall.

I love how everyone is all over this Z being traded to the Yankees thing...and in reality, Levine's really revolves around the fact that it is practically impossible for it to happen. I'm not sure why people keep on talking about this.

FrankS said:

What do you mean? Is the Mayan calendar two years off?

Steve said:

We are all just so very hopeful...I mean the Yankees could be a serious location for Zambrano, especially if they lose out on Garza. We could definitely get back some good players and trim the payroll. the problem is there is a very very small chance that happens. but we cubs fans can dream :)

Four points...

First, Zambrano is not the type of player the Yankees typically would take a chance on...especially with a contract like Zambrano has got.

Second, the Yankees organization and the New York media have said nothing about this.

Third, even if the Yankees wanted Zambrano, they really don't have any prospects that they are willing to give up that the Cubs would want.

Fourth, Zambrano has a no trade clause and has been even more vocal than Derrek Lee was about not wanting to be traded. Yes, Lee eventually was traded, but it took a lot of convincing to get it done. I don't think Zambrano would cave on this as easily and in this short of time.

Z ain't going anywhere.

I want him gone as much as anyone, but I've accepted the fact he's staying.

i agree. And, as much as I love Z and want him to stay, with the disaster currently surrounding him, it makes no sense to keep him.

berselius said:

(stolen from RLYW)

The Yankees already have Prior - if they trade for Z and resign Wood they'd be in great shape for winning the division...or at least the 2003 NL Central.

Nothing else to talk about.

plamorte said:

let's talk about possible Garza trade packages.

Vitters and _____?

Zambrano?

berselius said:

I'd love to get anything for Vitters. I don't think he even makes the majors at this point.

It's sure looking more and more like that is going to be the case. I wasn't all that impressed when the Cubs drafted him (and got chewed out here because of it).

baturkey said:

Fukudome is disrespectful to pitchers*! Can't you see we're serious?

*in April

Ahahahahaha! Can you do any less?

I love Z's optimism about the World Series, it almost makes me think they won't totally suck next season

(this good mood of mine can't last forever, but I'm going to enjoy it)

With all the bitching I've done about the Chicago media stirring up this Zambrano trade thing, the NY Daily News is reporting that the Yankees are likely to pursue a trade for Z now.

ok.

its like the NY media was waiting until you said they weren't saying anything to say anything

Fuckin' bastards.

if it happens, your credibility will be completely shot.

what credibility?

Cubs Psychologist said:

So, nobody is going to talk about the possibility of Zambrano being reunited with Prior & Rothschild in Yankee pinstripes??? Come on guys...where is the speculation??

I said yesterday that the Yankees should try to pursue re-uniting the Cubs 2003 starting rotation. Kerry Wood is high on their list already, and getting Zambrano...all they would need to do is get Matt Clement and Shawn Estes out of retirement to complete the project.

Cubs Psychologist said:

I loved Matt Clement!! Bring back the useless facial hair!1

Matt Clement was my favorite

I'll still say, when he was right, he has one of the best sliders I've ever seen...even better than Marmol's.

the first half of his first season with the Red Sox he was seriously good

I don't care if there's nothing else to talk about. Let's stop talking about moving Zambrano. It makes me stabby.

sloan peterson said:

Well, we lost our chance for a Matsui-Fukadome trade;Matsui's has signed with Oakland.

plamorte said:

Rumor is no Christmas bonuses this year. I feel like Griswold, totally was depending on that, sigh.

We usually don't get Christmas bonuses anyway...

But we are getting stuck with our third straight year of no raises...which sucks as the company has been exceptionally profitable for the last three years. The problem has been that the company continues to be overly conservative in its budgeting for the next year...and as a result, the budgets have to remain tight year after year after year.

Once the job market gets better, people are going to bolt this place real fast.

Oh...did I mention that our CEO just bought a new BMW and a new house? Nice...eh?

Government employee, getting my bonus. They cut back bonuses tremendously for staff at my Department this year, but as I am super fucking awesome at my job, mine is still at the top. Yay me.

I just realized how crass that sounded. Sorry. I've struggled all year and finally caught a break, got a little excited and didn't think before posting.

sloan peterson said:

That's ok-if you're good you're good. I didn't get a Christmas bonus,but did get the job reclassification I was waiting for since 2002- not retro though...

plamorte said:

Our CEO bought a new house too and a company limo to drive him around. The owner also moved into the Trump tower. We're opening up a second distribution center in Ohio in March because we're outgrowing this one and we upgraded our ordering/purchasing/inventory software this year.

In the big picture it's nice to even have a job, so I won't complain really about no bonus, but the company is not struggling by any means.

My friend isn't getting a bonus this year because her boss's husband's brother's business is failing.

WTF? That would be enough for me to quit right there.

One-year subscrption to the jelly-of-the-month club?

berselius said:

My Christmas bonus is not having to deal with undergrads for a full month. Ahhhh.....

my Christmas bonus is not having to pay tuition anymore

Oh, I get so sick of hearing people who get to live in the world of academia complain about their jobs. You should see how it is for the rest of us out here in hell!

all said as Julie types this while laying in bed in her pajamas.

sloan peterson said:

I've only received a Christmas bonus once, in the 1980's. I was a teller for Bank of America and recieved a $10 gift certificate to Broadway dept store(no longer exists) In the Christmas gift exchange I drew the banks vice-president and had to shell out for golf balls. I've never had any luck with gift exchanges either....

The best Christmas bonuses that I ever got was when I was working at Lands' End...after working our asses off getting orders out the door, a few days before Christmas they would hold a huge company wide meeting where the CEO would thank us all for the extra work we all put in...and then announce the bonus which usually was somewhere between 2 and 4 weeks pay. It made all those 80 to 90 hour work weeks worth it (on top of the time and a half or double time we got payed for the overtime work).

There are days I miss working for that company.

plamorte said:

oh wow two weeks pay would be amazing, when i said "bonus" it's more like $100 or so. lol

Lands' End was an absolutely awesome place to work back then (15 years ago). And they paid almost 50% of my tuition when I went back to college too. A 100% match on my 401k. It was worth the 45 mile drive to get to work every day.

From what I understand, things have changed for the worst since Sears bought them out, though.

sloan peterson said:

I used to think LL Bean and Lands End were the same company,just different catalogs. Now I know the difference: one is sold at Sears, and one has a nutty relative running it...

plus LL Bean has the 24 hour store

sloan peterson said:

Back then, sometimes management cared about employees. Before the recession, I saw some survey among American businesses-those that were in business 20 years or more tended to have CEO pay around 15-20 times the front line staff;those in business less than 15 years tended to have CEO pay 25 times or greater then front line staff. I think now its more like 30-50 times front line staff pay...

when CEO's of publicly traded companies had to start releaasing their pay the compensation cross the board went up, the theory is that when other CEO's found out how much someone was making they felt they needed to make as much, vs before it was ok to just make a lot of money

plamorte said:

A former Cub for seven years, left handed-hitting minor league OF Buck Coats signed with the Nationals. He hit .294/.352/.407 in his Triple-A career. Exciting day its been.

Neal Cotts was signed by the Yankees.

plamorte said:

Julie/Adam/Spain espnW twitter war occurring now.

Former future "next Randy Johnson" and ex-Cubs prospect Andy Sisco was just signed by the Yankees.

Go Bucks said:

we don't need to get rid of Big Z. What we really need is for them to trade Jim Hendry to the Phillies for a used condum and 6 banana's. Management needs to loosen the purse strings. The Cubs are on of the largest money makers in baseball, yet we can't figure out the formula to win. I know the formula Jim and Rickets family: It's a quality pitching staff!