Wednesday Headlines: Cubs to See More of Theriot, in a Good Way

CardinalTheriot.jpg
We can give thanks today to the St. Louis Cardinals, who yesterday traded for Ryan Theriot to become their starting shortstop.

Theriot immediately alienated any of his remaining Cubs fans by opening his big mouth. He was interviewed on KFNS in St. Louis (hat tip to MillsChC for the link) and said: "I'm finally on the right side of the Cubs-Cardinals rivalry, I think." Ryan, your love of the microphone is the gift that just keeps on giving.

And what sparkling things are the Cards saying about their presumed starting shortstop? Take it away, John Mozeliak.

Theriot projects as a traditional top-of-the-order hitter considered a defensive downgrade from Ryan at shortstop. However, the Cardinals heard similar descriptions of David Eckstein when they signed him in December 2005. The club then won a world championship with Eckstein as World Series MVP in 2006.

Mozeliak made just such a comparison when describing Theriot as "a winning-type player, someone who understands the game, who can be used in a variety of roles and also has the ability in a lot of different places in the lineup."

Tuesday's move squares with Mozeliak's insistence last month that the club was more inclined to upgrade itself at shortstop than second base, where converted outfielder Skip Schumaker has started much of the last two seasons. The Cardinals are now expected to pursue another deal with Ryan as bait.

"I certainly think he's a talented player," Mozeliak said. "But when you think about us trying to improve our middle infield, one of the things we wanted to do was find someone who fit in very well with the club, someone who played hard, and I think Theriot represents those characteristics."

I can't wait to regularly see him in a Cardinals uniform, rolling the ball from the hole to first base.  Anything else from you, Ryan?

"I don't want to be that utility player," Theriot told reporters on a conference call. "I want to be out there playing. I can't help a team if I'm sitting on the bench."

Spectacular.

"I can't help a team if I'm sitting on the bench."

BAAAHAHAHAHA...

That is true...and you can't hurt a team if you're sitting on the bench too, you jackwagon!

Cubs Psychologist said:

"I'm finally on the right side of the Cubs-Cardinals Rivalry, I think." Congratulations, TOOTBLAN!! You have just won a career worth of boos when you return to Wrigley!! I have to wonder WTH were they thinking when they traded for him?? If any one knows how consistently inconsistent Theriot is, it's the Cards. Oh well, their problem now!! Enjoyed the jackwagon statement, Doc.

sloan peterson said:

I'm enjoying the attempt to state Theriot( or Jackwagon as his new name should be)as an "Eckstein-like" player. Theriot could never be like Eckstein in a million years!I watched Eckstein play, and he was always a team player,played like there was no tomorrow, and was willing to sit on the bench if it helped his team. If he wanted to ,Eckstein would make an excellent coach or manager. So let Jackwagon dream on....

Watching all the Theriot fans on Twitter slowly realize that Theriot is an arrogant jackwagon was highly entertaining yesterday.

And yes, today's word of the day is "jackwagon.'

oh...shoot...I used jackwagon yesterday. I guess I screwed up.

Adam Dunn wants 4-years and $60M. He's apparently going to the Derek Jeter School of Unrealistic Baseball Contracts.

and he's asking the Nationals for it? hahahaha, I thought their whole payroll was $61 mil

so now who's going to be the Cubs first baseman

keywestcubfan said:

Ronnie Woo Woo.

on the flip side...

Supposedly, Lance Berkman is looking for 1 year at $7 million...which doesn't sound all that bad.

plamorte said:

nope, I'm all for filling 1B with a Berkman or LaRoche type for one year and go for big name in Fall 2011.

Unless that big name is Adrian Gonzalez, you shouldn't expect any other big name to be available.

plamorte said:

Ummm Ross Gload? By some miracle...Pujols!

jarowcliffe said:

I think that there is a .001% chance the Cubs sign Gonzo...

berselius said:

*cough* Fielder *cough*

He'll get traded and signed before he hits free agency.

berselius said:

it's just about as likely as the same happening with Gonzalez. Even if Fielder is traded he doesn't have any leverage to force his new team to sign him to an extension (i.e. he doesn't have no trade protection). He's made it clear that he wants to hit the open market.

The reports up in Wisconsin right now (which might be more wishful thinking than anything else) are that the Brewers are going to make a serious stab at keeping him and offering him a contract extension in before the end of next season.

But you are right...especially with Boras as his agent, and with concerns about his fat ass-ness will affect his abilities in the near future...he will want to get everything he possibly can on the open market right now.

I just don't want Fielder on this team.

sigh, I really wish there was a minor leaguer that I felt even semi comfortable with having more playing time

Bryan LaHair could be that player...but he might very well be another AAAA player at age 28.

I'm convinced, I'm now on the LeHair for 1B bandwagon

If the Cubs were to magically trade Fukudome, LeHair might very well make the roster this spring.

I don't want to go after any big name FAs because we're going to suck this year. Just plus in some scrub and let's move on.

berselius said:

"The Cardinals are now expected to pursue another deal with Ryan as bait."

Wait - do they mean Brendan Ryan or Ryan Theriot? Though I guess both is pretty laughable.

I'm sure that means BR...honestly, I think Brenden Ryan is more productive at the plate (even though he had an absolutely horrible 2010) and he's a better defender.

That being said...I wouldn't want him. And I'm not sure who would.

Cubs Psychologist said:

In the twilight zone of the St. Louis Cardinals...BREAKING NEWS FLASH!!! Cardinals acqure 1B Derrek Lee to replace Albert Pujols. To quote one Cardinals Exec,"Hell, if we were stupid enough to trade for Theriot, why in the hell wouldn't we get rid of Pujols for D-Lee?!"

That's just silly...

Derrek Lee would never want to join the Cardinals.

sloan peterson said:

He'd go if his wife let him...

30 days from today I will be on my way to the Bahamas. I can't wait. This stupid cold can suck it.

you can suck it too...whoopee for you...while the rest of us are stuck freezing our asses off bitching about the Nick Johnson signing, you'll be getting all tan and swimming and all that other cool Bahamas stuff. I been able to take any time off of work in 18 months.

Damn you.

I very much enjoy the cold and snow, except when I'm sick, like today. Then I just want to be warm. Even in my house, I'm freezing my tookus off.

sloan peterson said:

Here in CA it has actually been fall-like,temps in the 50's & 60's and I'm sick with stomach flu and can't go out. I agree-it sucks to be sick and cold. Almost as bad as being sick and hot...

I can feel the heat coming off my skin, yet I can't get warm. UUUUGGGGGHHHHH.

I hope you feel better!

sloan peterson said:

I think there should be vaccines against stomach virus. My primary doctor wants me to see my diabetic doctor before I go back to work, and this is the busiest time of the month. I feel so guilty,but unless they provide me with a combo cubicle/desk/porcelin throne I'm at home...

sloan peterson said:

Personally, I hate the cold and the snow. If it wasn't for the fact that the Cubs play in Chicago, I would have moved to the Bahamas years ago. Well, there are probably a couple of other reasons I haven't done that yet as well.

Edelweiss said:

They play in the SUMMER. You could still go to the Bahamas in the off-season.

Edelweiss said:

If you tried skiing, you would look foreward to cold weather.

30 days? who can look that far ahead

sloan peterson said:

ELRaythar said:

I hope he turns into the next Aaron Miles. Hell, he might well be on his way.

Julie, Neil deGrasse Tyson is on Radiolab this week