Monday Headlines: Just Stay in Bed

I posted the above video in case you hadn't yet gotten to see the amazingness of the Metrodome roof collapse. It also gives us something to talk about, as there was precious little happening in Cubs news over the weekend. Ryan Dempster was in Chicago all weekend, and the Around Town guys from the Trib got to talk to him about Carlos Pena. Dempster is sooooo stoked about Pena coming to the North Side.

"I am so excited to play with a guy who gets as excited by making a great fielding play as he does by hitting a three-run home run," said Dempster, who was spotted Saturday at the Loyola-Kansas State game.

Friday night, they ran into Jim Hendry. You'll never guess where.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry attended the Dempster Family Foundation fundraiser Friday at D'Agostino's Pizza in Lakeview and told us he expects more signings in December than the last two years.

Dempster knows how to get Hendry to commit to a fundraiser. My one question of this tidbit from Hendry: he has to mean for the league in general, right? He's not going to go buck wild with signings these last couple weeks of the year, is he?

In other news, Mike Quade isn't yet sure what the batting order will look like for this year, and doesn't sound too excited about the roster, either.

Quade says he doesn't know yet where he'll bat Pena in the lineup -- or who his leadoff hitter or No. 3 hitter will be. Never mind what his pitching staff or bench will look like by the time he gets to Mesa, Ariz., and tries to turn around a fifth-place team.

He shrugs at questions about what kind of players or roster changes he needs to pull that off.

''One way or the other, I'm going to manage the club that is put together when I get there,'' he said.

Is it just me or does that sound like a less-than-ringing endorsement?

I've got one last link for today, and a really cool one at that. Bruce Levine is reporting that Ron Santo's ashes will be spread at Wrigley Field.

My friend Ron Santo will be cremated, and a source told me his ashes will be spread throughout Wrigley Field, his favorite place in the world.

It seems a very fitting final resting place for #10. Also, the Cubs have already announced one tribute to Ronnie for next season.

The Cubs will wear No. 10 patches on their uniform sleeves in 2011 to commemorate Santo's contribution to the Cubs.

That one's a no-brainer, but I'm glad they figured it out quickly.

I often wonder how many ashes are actually scattered at Wrigley. I know several people who claim to have done it, and several players/coaches have claimed to have done it as well.

Rich Beckman said:

Didn't they tear the field up a few years ago to improve the drainage? I wonder if they put the same dirt back... All those ashes scattered at Wrigley are now on some land that needed clean fill for commercial development...

If they put the locker room under left field, will that require the removal of the field surface, etc.

Can you imagine if they were to ever move Wrigley to the suburbs or something and put in a mini-mall where Wrigley is now? How made would you be if you scattered the ashes of someone you love there?

sloan peterson said:

That would be like the plot of Poltergeist...

Edelweiss said:

I was with someone who scattered her husbands ashes in right field 10 years ago.

HackWilson09 said:

Maybe this is the whole problem. Maybe Wrigley is built on an ancient Indian burial ground. Maybe the soil of Wrigley is composed entirely of the dead, and they have grown tired of being trampled.

Teebob2000 said:

...now if only the new ownership had the same feelings, we'd be good.

I have attended two games where I've seen big puffs of, what I'm presuming is, ash falling from the bleachers on to the field. I'm sure it's fairly common.

sloan peterson said:

Re: Dempster- he's assuming Pena is going to make great plays.I'd be happy if he just fields his position.
Re: Quade- sounds like he is working up his excuse for a poor Cub season-"I worked with what players I had..."

Teebob2000 said:

Pena IS a Gold Glover...

Overall, he's considered more of an average first baseman, though. 2008 was a bit out of the normal for him. In fact, he had some quite horrible defensive years early in his career.

Hustlelikereed said:

Pena should do the job asked of him.

I can see Pena, Ramirez, Byrd, Colvin, DeWitt and Castro adding 100-125RBI over 2010 outputs per position between them next year. Which puts us on course for what the Reds got last year.

It is the bullpen and rotation that worries me. Still have no reliable 7th/8th inning guy aside from Marshall - Cashner is still too wayward - and aside from Dempster we are still too reliant on which side of the bed the other starters get up. How are we going to shore up the 90ish runs we shipped more than Reds?

I'm not sure where these anxieties over the rotation are coming from. Assuming Dempster, Z, Wells and Silva perform around their career averages, that's a pretty good rotation with Sloth, Diamond, Coleman or (gulp) Samardjiza to fill it out.

Is the rotation as good as the Cardinals? No. The Reds? Probably...the Reds pitched out of their minds last year and I expect them to come back down to earth in 2011.

That being said, the lineup and the bullpen (and defense) are all hurting significantly. I see the offense being better, but not that much better. We've probably seen the best out of Ramirez who is declining, and DeWitt is what he has shown for the last 4 years. Byrd isn't going to improve over 2010. Colvin could be better, but he could be poised for a sophomore slump. And Castro? Well, we are all expecting great things from this kid after a great first season. Let's hope he doesn't start to play like Corey Patterson did at the end of his second season. The biggest question is what we will get out of Pena. His OPS has declined over the last 3 seasons and while I doubt it will be as bad as it was last year, for us to think he's going to be a .900 OPS hitter is just not realistic.

The bullpen, if they can't get a decent right handed setup man, is going to be a big problem in 2011. The Cubs do have a little more money to spend, so they might still have the ability to pick someone up to solve that problem.

So very cold. Don't go out there. So very cold.

sloan peterson said:

I have appealed to the weather gods to send you CA's high pressure, as it is causing floods up north and fire down here...

actually, it's so sunny here as to be obnoxious. i'm completely snowblind.

That's from the cocaine.

sloan peterson said:

I thought Julie was referring to the Styx song...:)

sloan peterson said:

On Friday, I was watching Tom Skiling on WGN, and he stated that Chicago was having a "mild" day @ 35 degrees. If it was 35 degrees during the day in LA, they would have live team coverage,breaking news, and ask the LA mayor/CA governor to comment to calm the LA viewers....

sloan peterson said:

Per NY Times-Cliff Lee is resigning with the Phillies.....