Wow, Hendry Really Screwed Up With Ryno

ryno2.jpg

FACEPALM:

Hall of Famer Ryne Sandberg, passed over for the Cubs' managing job in favor of Mike Quade, is welcome to remain in the organization as manager at Triple-A Iowa, general manager Jim Hendry said Wednesday.

"He is certainly welcome to return to Iowa; we think he did a great job there," Hendry said.. "This was a very tough decision and one that I tossed and turned over. However, I love Ryne Sandberg and have tremendous respect for him."

The Cubs' interest in retaining him came as news to Sandberg, who said Tuesday he had received no offers from the team..

"I was unaware that they wanted me back until I heard it from you," Sandberg said by phone Wednesday from his home in Phoenix. "I guess it is an option. I'm going to take my time and see what is out there.
"

How is it possible for the GM of a major league basseball club, when informing his award-winning AAA manager that he has been passed over for a job with the big league club, to neglect to mention that he can keep the job he already has?

I don't care if they EVER wanted Ryno in the manager's role, you don't let the Pacific Coast League's Manager of the Year walk away without at least TRYING  to keep him in the organization, especially when he means as much to the fans as Ryne Sandberg does.

Ed Nickow said:

You asked ... "How is it possible for the GM of a major league baseball club, when informing his award-winning AAA manager that he has been passed over for a job with the big league club, to neglect to mention that he can keep the job he already has?"

The answer(which you already knew) ... He's Jim Hendry.

If anyone thought the boos were loud at last year's Convention when they introduced Hendry (and I did) just wait until January if Ryno isn't with the organization.

I hope they fix this fast. My preference is for Sandberg to be Quade's bench coach so that when the rebuilding is done the Hall of Famer can lead a contender ... assuming that the experience shows he's capable of being a Major League skipper.

But what do I know?

Edelweiss said:

Or maybe Sandberg is sulking, and he knew what was going on.

art said:

no, tuesday Hank said he hoped ryne would come back someday and be a Cub for life. wednesday he said he thought ryne knew the AAA job was still his. that sure sounds like after the mini fan uproar Hank changed his mind. he doesn't want ryne around for fear the media would mention ryne after every Cub/Quade loss.

J Pep said:

I would not read to much into this article considering that Kaplan wrote it. It's good drama to promote his radio gig.

Exactly. Why does anyone even read the things Kaplan writes?

Edelweiss said:

Men read what he writes because he always does a thing about hot wives, or girlfriends, and men like to look at T&A. His latest is a link to the video, which, allegedly shows Brett Favre's private part. He does sensationalist stuff because he is not as knowlegable about baseball as he would like you to think. He is a frustrated baseball player, who played in college, but never got drafted. He spent part of '09 and most of 2010 trying to get close to Ryan Theriot, who told him what he wanted to hear, but gave him no real information. He is good on basketball, which I think he coached, but baseball players don't trust him enough to do more that courtesy interviews.

Does Kaplan even have a radio gig anymore?

cadarnell said:

" I love Ryne Sandberg and have tremendous respect for him."

the first thing that popped into my head when I read that was a scene in Mel Brook's History Of The World ... he has a shot gun in hand and says "I love my people ... PULL !!" ... (then one of his people flies across the sky and he shoots them down skeet shooting style) .... "I love Ryne Sandberg ... PULL !!"

the first thing that popped into my head was "Rex is our quarterback."

Honestly, I really feel everyone is blowing this a little bit out of proportion. In the end, while many people thought that Quade probably deserved the job, most people really wanted Ryno to have it and that desire often times skews their perceptions of situations. Ryno is hurt right now, and his comments reflect that. We've only really heard his side of the story, and when someone goes through an emotional setback like that, they tend to block out parts of what happened and recall only the negative parts of this stuff. I've done it before where I got some bad news and after the initial hit completely blocked out everything else that was being told to me.

Did Hendry actually say anything more to Sandberg after he told him that Quade got the job? I don't know, and I'd be foolish to say that it wouldn't be par for the course if he had (just look at his handling of Milton Bradley)...but only hearing from Ryno isn't enough to say that the Cubs handled this poorly.

In the end, Hendry could have also known (as I have assumed since the beginning of this process) that Ryno would have no intention of staying with the organization regardless if they offered him the job back at Iowa (or even as a bench coach). If that's the case, why even bother bringing it up? It sounds to me like Hendry only made the statements he did today to appease a rather upset fan base right now.

I can say this: When he was asked about Ryno at the presser yesterday, Hendry never said that they offered him the AAA job or that they told him he'd be welcome to stay. He said very little about Ryno.

And rightfully so...

While the reporters, many of whom probably wanted Ryno to be the manager, continued to press on that issue, Hendry was right to try to refocus the press conference on Mike Quade...it was Quade's day, not Sandberg's.

did you even watch the press conference?

look, i know you didn't want him as manager, but that doesn't mean you completely cut ties with a guy who has succeeded at every level. there was no reason not to tell him they'd be happy to have him return to Iowa next season.

Yes...I watched it live yesterday....and everything that I have seen and heard tells me that Jim Hendry had ever made any statement to anyone saying that they were cutting ties with Sandberg. Sandberg's point-of-view on this right now is likely skewed and his perception of the situation probably isn't exactly what reality is.

(that should read "Jim Hendry had NEVER made any statement..." not "ever"...I'd give a kidney for an edit button.

If your contract is year-to-year (which I assume Sandberg's is, but I don't know), and you apply for a promotion, but don't get it at the same time your contract is up, do you assume you get to keep your current job if your boss only tells you you're not being promoted?

I don't.

Would Sandberg have assumed he would have gotten to keep his job if he hadn't applied for the promotion?

Didn't Quade go through these exact same things in 2006 when he applied for the job the first time?

i have no idea. i assume someone TOLD Quade he got to keep his job, which is more than they did for Sandberg.

Quade didn't get the job of third base coach until about 2 weeks after he lost out on the job as manager. When the team switches managers, typically all the coaching jobs within the organization are up for grabs.

melissa said:

In Quade's case he was promoted to 3rd base Coach from the minors by Hendry. Lou did not pick Quade for his staff, Hendry did. I've also never heard of minor league coaches being picked by the new manager.

In this case, Sandberg is not being promoted to the major league staff by Hendry like he did with Quade in 07. I guess an unknown minor league coach, Quade in 06, had more cache with Hendry than Sandberg does now. I also think that even if Hendry offered Ryno a job that Ryno should have told him to stick it. Hendry doesn't want Ryno anywhere near this staff because people will be calling for him to replace Quade as soon as things go south, which should be sometime before May 1, 2011.

It's also ridiculous to say that the 37 games had nothing to do with Quade getting the job. There is no way the Ricketts or Hendry could have sold this hire to media and the fans if Quade hadn't had a good record. It just wouldn't have been possible. A lot of media and fans are saying Quade earned a shot and it's because of the 24-13 record.

cadarnell said:

yea ... I thought it was an audition too .. and Quade passed .. if he was even as good as just a couple games over .500 I think it would have still been hard to justify the hire by Hendry .. it took the great record for him to become a top candidate, and I think it still took a great interview ... he must be really good at selling himself ... maybe ryno just wasn't ??

Edelweiss said:

Things can't go south - the Cubs are already there. The worst that can happen is they don't improve.

Edelweiss said:

That's right, but do people actually apply for the manager's job, or are they contacted by Hendry?

Edelweiss said:

Maybe they did, and he is just trying to get people to feel sorry for him.

cadarnell said:

well I guess all we can ask of Jim Hendry is to tell us the truth. If he really believes he got the right man for the job, then I think that's a great thing. If he really does love Ryne and was able to act with his head and not his heart, then he's done his job well. Going away from the popular choice did have to be a very hard thing to do.

As someone who also does really love Ryne Sandberg, I just have to wonder about all this. I mean when you really think about what just happened it's mind boggling. If Lou would have just been able to work a couple more months, would Q even have been interviewed? I never saw his name mentioned anywhere after Lou announced his retirement. When you think about it, the last six weeks of the season may have cost this team more than just a few draft position spots. It may have cost us a great manager.

People have to stop thinking that the last 6 weeks of the season meant anything...they didn't.

I'm sorry everyone, but Quade's resume before those 37 games was more impressive and extensive than Sandberg's. And, no, being a Cubs legend and HOFer doesn't count on the resume.

cadarnell said:

when you're a HOFer for hitting a bazillion HRs it shouldn't count, but when you get there the way Sandberg did, I guarantee you that HOF tag will count on a resume. I don't see how it can be overlooked.

how does getting there the way Sandberg did any different than how Quade got there?

this is the dumbest argument we've ever had. And that's saying something.

I know...sad, ain't it?

The really sad part is that I fight like a girl...

and you fight like a guy.

cadarnell said:

i meant when you get to the HOF the way Ryno did ..

Edelweiss said:

Being a HOF ballplayer does not guarantee good managerial skills. Very few HOF players become managers, just like B students make better teachers that A students.

AndCounting said:

Ha, yeah it does.

"Um, excuse me, Mr. Picasso?"

"Yes?"

"It says here you want to teach art. Have you ever taught art before?"

"Well, not in a formal setting, but . . ."

"So no, then?"

"But I'm one of the most famous and well respected artists of all time."

"HAVE YOU TAUGHT ART AT A COMMUNITY COLLEGE BEFORE?!?"

"No, just a few career day appearances in high school."

"Okay, sir, we'll take those under consideration. But we really could care less about your career as an artist. We're looking for a teacher, not someone who actually knows how to do anything. Good day."

Not quite the same thing...Sandberg did his teaching already...now it's time for him to run his own studio. Not the same thing...

And Picasso wouldn't have had to teach students who were making 10 times more money than he would as a teacher.

AndCounting said:

It's really exactly the same thing. If it didn't count for anything, he wouldn't have gotten the job coaching in the minors. Obviously it counted for something. Take into account, too, the fact that Ricketts expressed desire was to have a manager with a coach's mindset to help instruct young players.

Also keep in mind that at one point in his career, Sandberg was the highest-paid player in baseball. It's not as though the mindset is altogether foreign to him.

Having a coaching mindset is fine...and sandberg has that, but it takes more than that to manage in the big leagues.

Sandberg's resume lacks any coaching at the major league level, and Sandberg wasn't exactly known for his coaching like qualities as a player.

Only one manager that I can think of in the big leagues right now got his first job as a big league manager without any previous big league coaching experience, and that was Tony LaRussa. And honestly, as much as I like Sandberg, I don't think he will ever be a manager at the level LaRussa is. Hopefully I'm wrong about that.

AndCounting said:

Brenly didn't have an ounce of experience either. The 2011 Cubs aren't the Schilling/Johnson Diamondbacks, but still, being an assistant coach is the most overrated experience in baseball. IMO.

Brenly was a bench coach for the Giants for at least 3 or 4 years before getting the D-Backs job.

AndCounting said:

No, he was a broadcaster.

AndCounting said:

I stand corrected. He did coach with the Giants in between broadcasting gigs. But still. Bullpen coach? That's nothing.
Actually I sit corrected. In the basement.

In the basement...just like the rest of us. :)

It's all fun, though. We can all argue about this stuff and we all are cool with each other...but if anyone ever questions a "real" reporter, they get all pissed off and defensive about it. Heee!

AndCounting said:

Real reporters don't cover sports.

He was a broadcaster, then a coach in the mid 90's, broadcaster again, manager, then back in the broadcast booth.

I know for a fact he was a bench coach for Dusty Baker for at least a couple years and he might have even been a coach before Roger Craig retired.

YOU ARE MISSING THE POINT.

My point is not that Ryno should have gotten the job, but that when Hendry called to say "Sorry, you're not getting the job,' it would have also been nice for him to say "but we'd be thrilled to have you back managing Iowa this season."

Instead, he managed to alienate one of the most beloved Cubs of all-time.

And my point is that the only source we have as to what was said when Hendry told Sandberg is the distress Sandberg himself and that we might actually not be getting the full truth in this matter.

The initial interview I heard with Sandberg made it sound like Sandberg just hung up on Hendry as well. Big Jim might never have even gotten the chance to say anything else.

AndCounting said:

I think it's one of those situations where there's no follow-up sentence to "you didn't get the job" that's gonna work real well. I think if they said, "You're welcome to return to Iowa," it would just sound presumptuous anyway. Like, I hope we can still be friends.

I don't know. I think Hendry should have been more vague to Kaplan. Something like, "I want to respect Ryno by not commenting on his future right now. Obviously we were thrilled with the work he did for us, and obviously he's disappointed this didn't work out. For me to comment on his future at this point isn't fair to him. When it's appropriate, I'll touch base with him man-to-man."

Or something like that. I don't think it's something to discuss openly in a media interview even if it was probably too soon to discuss it privately with Ryno as well.

melissa said:

"I'll touch base with him man-to-man," sounds naughty.

Ugh...dammit to hell...

I'm actually trying to support Jim Hendry in this argument.

Please find me a gun so I can kill myself.

What stupid about me arguing about this is the fact that I really, in the end, didn't want Quade as the manager...I didn't want Sandberg either, though.

cadarnell said:

i really hope you're right ... 1st and foremost I love the Cubs, and I REALLY want to win it all before too long ... I hope Ryne somehow stays in the organization and this all works out in the end with one big world championship party ... GO CUBS !!!

The thing is, I don't want Ryno to be the Cubs manager because I like him so much and I don't want to see him suffer.

I think he will eventually make a very good manager...just not here.

DustyBaylor said:

Ok...so it's cool that the Cubs again passed over one of their own for this job? Bench coach? LMAO!!! What a joke...Trammell was the Cubs bench coach...let's see how many interviews he gets to be a manager. You get experience managing...by managing. That's it. I am hoping that Quade's honeymoon continues next season, because he deserves a fair shake. But here's a question:If his extensive, amazing minor league managing experience was all the difference...why hasn't he got a shot in the last 7 years?

Hadji said:

The right guy got the job for this miserable team. Good luck with that. Also, I don't believe Sandberg for a second and he is obviously pouting again, just like he was when he found out his first wife was sleeping with Rapheal Palmeiro and Dave Martinez.

capraatt said:

I think the real problem with all of this to most Cub fans is that Jim Hendry was allowed to make the choice. This man is Mr Teflon. He has made some of the worst GM decisions ever, created the mess of a ball team we now have, has not created one legitimate star out of his farm system, and yet here he sits STILL running this team into the ground. He surrounds himself with yes men, picks his own coaches and then forces the manager to take them, and does nothing to significantly shake things up after yet another disasterous year. The Ricketts have shown their own disdain for Cub fans by keeping him on as GM to begin with.

Oh rejoice, Larry Rothchild is again our pitching coach! What a way to shake things up! He of all of those Cy Young winners under his tutelage. But hell, Im sure that him and Hendry have great dinner parties together.

Hendry is a buffoon and this team will never accomplish anything as long as he is making any decisions.