Tuesday Cubs Headlines: Big Doings In the Cubs Manager Search!

Jim Hendry

BREAKING NEWS* BREAKING NEWS: Pat Listach is out! I repeat, Pat Listach is out! BREAKING NEWS* BREAKING NEWS

Breaking details:

MLB.com reports: Pat Listach, the Nationals' third-base coach and a former manager in the Cubs' minor-league system, no longer is a candidate for the Cubs' managerial job, according to a baseball source with knowledge of the situation.

Although no reason was given as to why Listach is out of the running, Listach reportedly is on a long list of candidates being considered to replace Cito Gaston as Toronto's manager

If my calculations are correct, this leaves only Ryne Sandberg, Joe Girardi, Mike Quade, Eric Wedge,  Bob Melvin, Patrick Kane,  Anderson Cooper, Cher, Elizabeth Hasselback, Larry Potash, my next-door neighbor, Carl, and Snooki in competition for the open managerial position.

More on this breaking story as it. . . breaks.

There was much teeth gnashing in cubdom yesterday over Larry Rothschild's announcement that he's chosen to exercise his option for 2011:

Cubs pitching coach Larry Rothschild picked up his option for 2011 on Monday and is expected to return for his 10th season in the job.

Rothschild has outlasted managers Don Baylor, Bruce Kimm, Dusty Baker and Lou Piniella with the Cubs, and general manager Jim Hendry considers him one of the best pitching coaches in the game.

"We're grateful for the body of work he's had here," Hendry said. "He did an outstanding job with the young pitchers we had, and contractually we hoped he would (pick up the option.)"

Baker inherited Rothschild in 2003, and Rothschild declined a three-year offer from Detroit after 2005 to remain with the Cubs. He was let go with the rest of Baker's staff after 2006, but returned as Piniella's pitching coach.

Look, I know I've had some fun with ol' Larry lo these last few years: calling him "Rasputin" and pointing out the fact that he can't hide his disgust with having to interact with the mouth-breathing masses at Cubs Con every year.

HOWEVER.

Cubs pitching has been the least of our problems the last few seasons. Aside from his insistance that Jeff Samardzija can throw a baseball over the plate, I have no beef with Larry. Welcome back.

And honestly people, unless you want to talk about the Braves and Reds being ousted from the postseason, there's precious little news this morning. I will, of course, be monitoring the Cubs manager elimination wire throughout the day. My guess is that Patrick Kane will be the next to go; too many instances of public intoxication.

I would like to point out that, even though, bleary-eyed as I am this morning, I DID catch the 'Ryan Sanberg' and multiple spellings of "Pat Listach" and corrected them. They show up correctly when the post is fully open, but not when it's in preview mode. Now it looks like I don't know how to spell Ryne Sandberg. FML.

Slacker.

secdelahc said:

If Patrick Kane is out for too many instances of public intoxication, then Snooki will go with him. Double elimination!

Darn. I really wanted Pat Listach to be our manager.

*snort*

--MGb said:

My sources tell me that Ted Williams headless corpse is being interviewed next week.

I'm not happy with this. I think it is important for the Cubs next manager to have at least arms...probably legs too.

so management by computer is out?

sloan peterson said:

With the Cubs luck they'd hire a Commodore 64....

you're on a roll today

AndCounting said:

Word is that Eric Wedge has interviewed with Ricketts today and that Sandberg and Quade did so a week or two ago. Not saying it's gonna happen, but this break in NL action could be a convenient and polite time to announce a decision.

I've been under the impression that Ricketts wants to wait for Girardi...but if Hendry gets his way, the process could be over by the end of the week...and I think the result will be either Quade or Wedge.

tell a Yankees fan that the Cubs want to hire Girardi and watch as they try to rationalize why he would stay with the Yankees and attempt to recall him saying he wants to stay with the Yankees all while realizing that the Yankees haven't offered him a contract, and keep calm

its an interesting display of emotions

Qua-de! Qua-de! Qua-de!

See? It's even perfect for chanting. This would definitely be the right decision.

sloan peterson said:

If the Cubs wanted to appeal to Latino fans, the slogan could be "Si Se Quade!" instead of"si se puede"....

awesome

ELRaythar said:

Hire Deep Blue!

ELRaythar said:

Rangers are going to lose today. The standings give it away. 3 of the bottom four teams have been eliminated, and the last one standing blew a 2-0 series lead. Coincidence?

I'm totally cheering for the Rays tonight.

I just want to say that the Giants stopping their celebration to applaud Bobby Cox last night on his way out of the dugout for the last time was one of the classiest things I've seen in sports.

Bruce Bochy is a very good manager...and his classy leadership was apparent last night when the Giants did that.

HackWilson09 said:

Dusty will never win. I don't want to say "choke", but he is a pretty emotional guy. You gotta keep that stuff in check, which is the only thing that maybe worries me about Quade. He's too "up". Bobby Cox, for all his success, is too "down". One friggin' ring, all those years. Quade has stood up to the test of 37 games, but he has yet to stand up to a losing streak or a playoff game in the bigs.

I don't know if the best manager for the Cubs even exists on the market right now. I like Bochy and Scioscia and Francona -- smart managers who are active in the game, and relate well with their teams, but don't EVER lose their heads. That's tricky stuff. Maybe Quade can be like this, but he did do a couple of questionable things here and there, and he wasn't exactle creative.

Wedge is highly regarded, but has he succeeded? And Ryno? I just don't buy it.

Why don't we get the best guys when they are actually available?

Why isn't Jockety our GM. He was available for long enough. Why don't we have Dave Duncan as our pitching coach?

Always with the bad timing.

As far as Wedge is concerned...he did have come success in Cleveland. And it didn't help that they traded away practically all of his talent.

That being said, I do have concerns about Wedge...he seems to be a rather high energy, in-your-face type of manager...the type that tends to wear out his welcome after a couple of years.

sloan peterson said:

Re: Scioscia-he may be too controlled for his own good. This season, he had a lot of trouble pulling pitchers, which resulted in a lot of lost games. He was stubborn about Brian Fuentes being the closer, even thought Fuentes couldn't close. When players had to do the pep talks the last 20 games or so, that showed a lot of Angels fans, that Scioscia had written the season off already. If he hadn't had a contract extension, he might have been in danger of losing his job; as it is Artie Moreno wrote off the season as a "fluke", and has told LA media he is prepared to spend millions of $$ in agressively going after pitchers, and at least one hitter...

HackWilson09 said:

exactle

is that french?

sloan peterson said:

Gee we're multilingual today...

HackWilson09 said:

french canadian. in honor of dempster's era, which converts very well in canadian dollars.

Teebob2000 said:

Larry Rothchild's correct. Jeff Smearjhchacha CAN throw a baseball over the plate. Granted, he gave up > 1 BB/IP, but he can throw a hittable ball by evidence of also giving up > 1 hit/IP. And he can groove it when necessary, he gave up 4 HRs in 19 IP.

I'd like Samareadfasfja a lot more if he pitched for the Cardinals.

Time to remove all of those damn twins.

sloan peterson said:

Instead of pictures of twins, there should be photos of all the manager candidates,behind little doors,just like Mystery Date....

plamorte said:

:( goodbye famous/fictional twins

HackWilson09 said:

Can we do triplets instead? Or at least leave one of the fat guys on the motorcyles? They make me feel... almost thin.

sloan peterson said:

Watching TB lose-why didn't Maddon take out Price earlier? This is it-it should be Johnny bullpen,Price made 2 errors and allowed 2 runs to score....

I want to apologize to the Tampa Bay Rays for cheering for them tonight.

sloan peterson said:

I hope Maddon now does not decide he wants to manage the Cubs....

sloan peterson said:

TB had to know they were going to lose when Bengie Molina stole a base...

managers don't have the same time frame restrictions on contracts that players do, right?