Thursday Headlines: World Series, etc.

Singer Tony Bennett performs in the seventh inning during Game 1 of Major League Baseball's World Series between the San Francisco Giants and the Texas Rangers in San Francisco, October 27, 2010. REUTERS/Mike Blake (UNITED STATES - Tags: SPORT BASEBALL)

Entering last night's game, everyone was wondering just how many hitless innings the starting pitchers would go. Would it be 5, 10, 20? Two of baseball's best starters dueling in a pitchers park yielded an 11-7 final score.

If 43,601 had not crammed into AT&T Park to witness the tale the Giants penned in Game 1, few would have believed it. They hounded and pounded Lee off the mound in a six-run fifth inning that shot them to an 11-7 win against the Rangers, the "hitting team" in this series.

In addition to the Giants winning, Tony Bennett apparently tore it up with "God Bless America".

Tony Bennett took the field for the first 7th inning stretch of the 2010 World Series on Wednesday night, delivering a rendition of "God Bless America" that had fans singing along in serious fashion while the San Francisco Giants took the Texas Rangers 11-7 at home.

In other news, I once saw Tony Bennett standing outside a hotel on Central Park West in New York. I'm sure you're all pretty impressed.

Since no other MLB teams can produce any news during the World Series, we'll have to settle for little bits of nothing for awhile. First up, it's Cubs Con 2011.

Weekend passes for the 26th annual Cubs Convention will go on sale Nov. 3 at 10 a.m. CDT.

The Cubs Convention will be held Jan. 14-16, 2011, at the Hilton Chicago, 720 South Michigan Ave., Chicago. Passes will be available for purchase by visiting www.cubs.com or by calling 1-800-THE-CUBS.

And Chris De Luca from the Sun-Times writes that Bruce Bochy was Jim Hendry's second choice after Lou Piniella way back when.

While Piniella's Cubs were disappointing fans by getting swept out of the first round of the playoffs in 2007 and '08, Bochy, who had jumped from the San Diego Padres to the division-rival San Francisco Giants, was presiding over a forgettable end to the Barry Bonds era. That meant 91 losses in 2007, followed by 90 losses in '08.

Back then, no one was lamenting how Hendry let the good choice get away. Now, maybe Hendry would've been better off had Piniella gone back to his beloved pinstripes.

''I've always thought [Bochy] was an outstanding manager,'' Hendry said Tuesday. ''I thought [the Padres] always did a great job of contending with what most experts thought weren't contending-type clubs. Very consistent, even-keeled guy that I've admired from afar.''

So the Cubs would be in the World Series this year if they'd hired Bochy. It really has nothing to do with Lincecum or Cain.

plamorte said:

Cliff Lee sucks

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!

Kerry Wood is a free agent.

I hope he goes somewhere and wins a WOrld Series and is the closer in the final game

I guess you don't want him to be in a Cubs uniform again, then, eh?

you're trying to trip me up, but while I would like to see him in a Cubs uniform, if he wins a World Series it won't be in Chicago

Well, that much is obvious.

yeah, I finally have come to terms with the fact that I will never see a World Series game at Wrigley

its ok, knowing makes it easier

HackWilson09 said:

My dreams always included Kerry Wood throwing the last pitch in the final game of the World Series against the Yankees at Wrigley Field. It was sort of like seeing the future.

Yes... it was a strike, and the Cubs won, and I was sitting in like the 20th row with my brother, Jim.

Kerry is a hero of mine. He's overcome a lot, and fought hard to stay in the game and succeed. He wasn't lights-out in the playoffs, but he didn't blow it either. But best of all, he's always been such a great guy.

I really hope the Cubs bring him back to set up Carlos Marmol. Maybe he could get closer money someplace, but I think his injury history would scare too many teams, and he probably won't get more than $4 or $5.

BRING BACK KERRY WOOD!!!

sloan peterson said:

Tony Bennett also sang " I left my heart in San Francisco" before the game. In other news, is Bengie Molina a free agent?

if he doesn't retire I think he is

HackWilson09 said:

I once left my harp in Sam Fram's disco.

Tony Bennett was seriously great. I hate the "God Bless America" thing during the game, but I loved it with Tony Bennett singing.

My favorite moment of the game was Cliff Lee's reaction when he doubled off Lincecum. Reminded me of Crash Davis' reaction to the dugout while running to first base.

jtbwriter said:

Morning from cool until this afternoon So Cal-
Tony Bennett was amazing-love how the crowd sang with him and let out that roar at the end! Nothing like hearing a legend honored while he's still around! And the Giants weren't half bad either!

Teebob2000 said:

You sucky Cubs fans stay the hell away from my damned Rangers!!! Root for the Giants, losers!!!

ELRaythar said:

Only if you start rooting for the Rangers :P

ELRaythar said:

Oops, I meant Giants.

Ok...I have basically until tomorrow to decide if I'm going to renew my season tickets.

I really don't know what I'm going to do.

Help!

sloan peterson said:

At work we do a lot of analysis of whether or not to pay for a present value of a future benefit. Can you think ahead to the spring? If so, can you see yourself paying for individual tickets to individual games? How many games would you attend? Then add up the cost of the individual seats for single games including all fees, and see how that stacks against the season ticket price. Finally, how would you feel if you did not buy season tickets?

Getting individual game tickets hasn't been too much of a problem in years past for me...I've had a good system in the virtual waiting room.

Talking into account the idea of going to a game whenever I wanted to and the (this is stupid, I know) idea of missing out on postseason/World Series tickets as well really eats at me.

I wonder how Tim over at Aisle 424 is doing with his decision right now.

sloan peterson said:

So a big feature for the season tickets is convenience and the chance for World Series ticket. Would the loss of that convenience and the possibility of seeing a future Cubs World Series gain outweigh the resentment of having to pay to see a team that may not be very good next year/satisfaction in saving the $$ for something else for YOURSELF. THAT IS IMPORTANT-saving the $$ for someone else should not come into play....

sloan peterson said:

NY Times is reporting that the Yankees will re-sign Girardi with a 3 year- 9 million dollar contract, which will be announced on FRiday.

ESPN is reporting that Girardi told Cashman back in August that he wasn't interested in the Cubs job. That can't possibly be true because the Chicago beat writers SAID he was interested.

(rolls eyes)

For anyone who criticized and/or mocked me for saying there was no way in hell Girardi would be coming to the Cubs....

Na na na na naaaa na! Told you so!!!