LOHO Celebrates Day 3 Of Democracy: The New York Yankees

yankees.jpg

We've hit Day 3 of LOHO Votes: Democracy in Action. If you've missed the campaign speeches from the Rangers and Rays fans, scroll back a couple of posts and make sure you read them.

Today we consider the New York Yankees, and our campaign speech comes courtesy of one of my favorite sports bloggers anywhere, Amanda Rykoff of OCD Chick.

PLEASE LET HER FINISH BEFORE YOU START YELLING.

When the lovely Cubbie Julie asked me to write a guest post for LOHO on why Cubs fans should root for the Yankees this post-season, I was intrigued. How could I convince fans of one of the most storied and, um, shall we say... "unfortunate"... teams to root for one of the most storied and, um, "fortunate" teams in baseball history? It's like asking Gryffindors to fight for Voldemort. Or the Jedi Knights to join up with Darth Vader. Or anybody outside of Miami rooting for LeBron James and the Heat.

Of course I fully expect any neutral observers to root for the Minnesota Twins or the Tampa Bay Rays in the American League playoffs. Heck, if I wasn't a Yankees fan, I'd do the same. The Twins have a solid team, hometown hero Joe Mauer and a beautiful new ballpark. The Rays are likable, play solid baseball, have great pitching and Evan Longoria and a horrendous ballpark. Despite the inherent challenges in the task (enjoy pushing a rock up a hill much, Sisyphus?), I decided to give it a shot. I have nothing to lose. It's not like you'll hate the Yankees even more when I'm done.

joe_girardi_cubs.jpg

Reason #1: Joe Girardi

Here's why Cubs fans may actually consider rooting for the Yankees (and I am nothing if not brazenly opportunistic): the Cubs connection. Yankees Manager Joe Girardi is a former Cub. He's also a Northwestern grad. It's a great story of local boy does good! I suppose that if you want Girardi to leave the Yankees and manage the Cubs, the Yankees' early playoff exit is in your best interests. But taking that out of the equation, of course you should root for him.

Reason #2: Sergio Mitre

Spot starter/long reliever Sergio Mitre is also a former Cub. Actually, that's not the best example. Forget I mentioned him. it's probably better for everybody if we not talk about Mitre. Let's move on.

kerryblingee2.gif

Reason #3: Kerry Wood

Finally, there is one player who has established himself as a critical member of the team since coming over in a deadline deal from the Cleveland Indians. No, it's not Austin Kearns. I'm talking about former Cub superstar wonder boy pitcher Kerry Wood. Wood has been nothing short of a revelation in the Yankees' bullpen. In 25 innings pitched since joining the team, Wood has allowed one earned run. ONE EARNED RUN. When he comes into a game, Yankee fans feel confident. He also looks good in pinstripes. They are quite slimming. Bottom line: if the Yankees are to win the World Series or even advance out of the ALDS, Kerry Wood will play a big role in getting the team there. Don't you want your former superstar wonder boy to win a World Series? It's your beloved Kerry Wood! You want him to be happy!

Thumbnail image for Thumbnail image for ozzieface.jpg

Reason #4: ¿Como Se Dice "Suck It, Ozzie"?

One of the biggest cogs in the Yankees' offensive machine is right fielder Nick Swisher. Swisher has been a revelation since joining the team before the 2009 season, helping the Yankees to last year's World Series title. In 2010, he's batting .288 with an OPS of .869, and made the All-Star team. Why should you root for him? Because Swisher was a gift from the White Sox after Ozzie Guillen decided he didn't like him. Muchas gracias, Ozzie. Swisher's continued success should annoy Ozzie Guillen and that can't be a bad thing for Cubs fans.

Reason #5: Win It For The Boss and Bob

I'd be remiss if I didn't throw in one more desperate plea for your sympathies. Yes, I realize that sounds absurd. The week of July 10, the Yankees lost both principal owner George M. Steinbrenner III and longtime Yankee Stadium public address announcer Bob Sheppard. I know not everybody loved The Boss and I'm not going to ask you to support winning one for him, but Bob Sheppard was beloved by everybody and was one of the classiest men associated with the game. It's not entirely unreasonable for you to get behind the notion of winning it for Bob.

Join the Dark Side. We have a pretty good time on board the Death Star. There's plenty of room.

_______________________________________________________________

And. . .  scene.

Thanks Amanda, for subjecting yourself to the abuse that is bound to be heaped upon you by Cubs fans. At least you can shield yourself from the blows with your 457 World Series rings.

Let's see. .  so the Cubs won, knocking the Padres out of the post-season. And hey, it looks like Fukudome may have played his last game as a Cub (ohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohpleaseohplease).

Cubs start the last series of the year tonight in Houston.

It's Friday--let's have your iPod 5.

Ugh!

NEXT!

iPoddy thingy thingy

That'll be the Day - Buddy Holly
Istanbul - They Might Be Giants
Back To Chicago - Styx
A Hard Day's Night - The Beatles
Belong - R.E.M.

sloan peterson said:

OMG!!! NO STYX!!!!!

sloan peterson said:

Never mind- I just spotted Back to Chicago. Carry on...

baturkey said:

I laughed at "PLEASE LET HER FINISH BEFORE YOU START YELLING."

Bad Reputation - Joan Jett
Saturday's Child - Billy Boy on Poison
Crossroads - Cream
In The Open - Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble
Let Me Go - Cake

berselius said:

Dammit baturkey, now I just want to go home and watch Freaks and Geeks

AndCounting said:

I think Amanda's big mistake is trying to relate to us on a personal level. It's just patronizing. We're not on the same level. It's like Gordon Gekko recruiting us as protégés by saying Wall Street is a great place to form deep, lasting friendships. Cheering for Kerry Wood is nice, but just tell it like it is: Greed, for lack of a better word, is good. The closing point about the Dark Side is where it's at. Just tell us to give in to our hatred, our anger. At this point, I'd find such an argument much more persuasive.

you have to know Amanda; she's a people person.

AndCounting said:

I do. And she has to know her team shares none of her people-person qualities.

you don't think Big Stein was a people person? did you see how he interacted with his grandkids?

"hey you kids! do you know this song? 'heartbreaker! dreammaker!"

AndCounting said:

Well, sure, over a calzone he turned into an absolute softy, I'm sure.

"i'm too important to this organization--big stein can't be flopping and twitching!"

berselius said:

On the Boder - Eagles
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
Proud Mary - CCR
Message in a Bottle - Police
Perfect Drug - NIN

AndCounting said:

I Am Still Here - Damien Jurado
Fight Outta You - Ben Harper & The Innocent Criminals
Learning to Fly - Tom Petty
The Only Living Boy in New York - Simon & Garfunkel
100 Years - Five for Fighting

I have to admit...all of those arguments are pretty damn good...

but it is the Yankees. Just can't do it. I would be like going out and beating my wonderful dogs with bats. I just can't do it...unless they crapped on the carpet.

if there's one thing in life that could make me cheer for the ?Yankees, it's Kerry Wood.

My hatred for the Yankees spans much further than any one person and affect. I just hate them so much...I'm jealous of their fans for all the championships and the great owner and their stadium....

I hate them.

Next!

And, know, if they Yankees came to my house and shit on my carpet, I still wouldn't cheer for them.

dammit...

'no'

HackWilson09 said:

This is the first of the foreign bloggers to refrain from the condescension of trying to explain Cubs team history as related to her team, and she has the right sense of humor about this. She knows we hate them, because we are probably more angry and jealous than most people, who are super angry and jealous of the Yankees to begin with.

But the fact that Julie posted a photo of ARod at the top hurts her chances dramatically, and so does her even bothering to mention Sergio Meat-Tray.

She's a good writer too, but she would have been far more persuasive if she had posted a photo of Kerry Wood and simply written his name 500 times.

I'll wait to vote, but you'll have a hard time persuading me not to vote for a sure winner in Kerry Wood's Yankees this year.

Time to Pretend - MGMT
Joe's Garage - Frank Zappa
Hotel Yorba - White Stripes
Beercan - Beck
Cast Stones - The Coctails (They played my wedding!)

PLEASE STOP YELLING AT ME TO NOT YELL AT HER SO I CAN YELL AT HER WITHOUT YOUR YELLING INTERFERING

I have a soft spot for Sergio Mitre, because I attended the only good game he ever pitched for the Cubs, with my Mom and Dad. My parents were convinced he was a legitimate prospect. I just enjoyed the game.

I have a hard sport for Sergio Mitre, because I have a suspicion that he is somehow responsible for Soto's eyebrows.

ELRaythar said:

I wonder if Girardi and Wood will pretend they just led the Cubs to a World Series if/when they get there...

I truly hate the Yankees, but Amanda did good in embracing how we feel about them AND referencing Star Wars. And she has a point: I don't hate them more after reading this.

Can't find my iPod so using the GF's

Jaded- Green Day
Cyclone- Baby Bash
I want to be a billionaire- Travis McCoy
Hero- Regina Spektor
The Humpty Dance- Digital Underground

Cubs Psychologist said:

Still can't cheer for the Yanks. Plus, if they loose, Joe might want to come to the Northside.

Top 5

Kentucky-Afro Man
Crazy Bitch-Buckcherry
Toes-Zac Brown Band
Genius of Love- Tom Tom Club
Ordinary People- John Legend

I've never heard of any of those.

heh, crazy bitch is a funny song. stupid, but funny.

oh, screw you man. you scared the shit out of me.

Geez GD...I do that stupid joke once a year...you should know that by now.

Kerry Woooooooooooood. . .

Derek Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeter

Karen said:

Don't do that. Ever. Again

Dmband said:

That was sneaky Doc.

I really really really like Kerry, he lived right down the street from my place of employment as used to get coffee in the morning. Stopped and chatted with him several times and got an autographed cubs picture. I will always cheer for him and his wife is super nice too. That being said, cant do it. Wont do it.

Month of May - Arcade Fire
Innocence - Airborne Toxic Event
Glitter - Pink
Three Little Birds - Bob Marley
Alligator Pie - DMB (Dave's daugther gets a great shoutout in this song.."Stella said daddy when you gonna put me in a song!")

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

my 5:
Walk All Over God's Heaven: Mahalia Jackson
At My Most Beautiful: R.E.M.
To Speak is a Sin: Pet Shop Boys
Like Someone in Love: Björk
Run Baby Run: Garbage

we STILL haven't caught the Brewers?

ELRaythar said:

We aren't going to either, unless they get swept and the we sweep the Astros. If anything showcases how much the Cubs sucked before Quade's Reign of Terror began, it's the fact that they are still in 5th place.

Dmband said:

Big Stein:

"Hey George is it FebUary or FebRUary? Becuase I like 'U' and what is this Ru?"

Lol.

"nothing but empty calories and male curiosity, eh georgie?"

secdelahc said:

I appreciate the mention of GOOD Cubs connections. And the reference to Star Wars is great. Thank you for not trying to make it seem like our two fanbases are on equal footing. Also, that picture of Kerry is pulling at my heartstrings. And really, it could be fun seeing if we can use our collective Cub-ness to knock them out in the first round like we did with the Twins.

Still, it's tough to join the dark side after so many years of contempt for them. I'm reserving judgment on this one. You haven't lost my vote, but you haven't won it completely, either.

dwag29 said:

Amanda, I was with you until Reason #5. After all, it's not like Bob and The Boss haven't seen the Yankees win a bajillion World Series (I don't know exactly how many - I'm sure you would).

If it makes you feel any better, I've hated the Yankees less than I used to since I met you. But, I'm not sure if I can handle another parade in this city.

As a Cubs fan, I'd say the closest team in this postseason to our World Series drought is the Rangers. They've never won it all, and according to Wikipedia: "the Rangers are the only MLB team that has yet to win a postseason series; their three previous playoff appearances (1996, 1998, and 1999) all resulted in losses to the New York Yankees."

I'm not committed though so you still have time to convince me otherwise.