Cubs Name Quade Next Manager: Let's Make a Sharing Circle

Thumbnail image for quadelicious.jpg

Several media outlets, including the Cubs in-house PR tweeter, @CubsInsider, are reporting that Mike Quade has been named the next manager of the Chicago Cubs.

I, for one, am underwhelmed.

On the other hand, it should make for an interesting Cubs Convention this year.

Even thought I've been saying for weeks that I don't care who the Cubs pick, it turns out that I really DO care, because when I heard it was Qaude, I went "oh man!"

So yes, even I can be swayed by the allure of the sexy hire.

So, I want to hear how you guys are feeling abnout this.

Let's have it.

ESPN:

Quade took over for the retired Lou Piniella on Aug. 23 and guided the Cubs to a 24-13 record down the stretch. That was the second best mark in baseball over that period.

"It's awesome, they couldn't have made a better hire," Cubs pitcher Ryan Dempster said Tuesday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "He's a great pick to manage this team.

"He did a great job when he was given the opportunity. It's a great move for the organization and for us as a team. I'm extremely thrilled that he got the opportunity here, because if it wasn't going to be here, it was going to be somewhere else."

The long-time minor-league manager was considered a finalist for the job with Triple-A Iowa manager and Cubs' Hall of Fame second baseman Ryne Sandberg.

"From my standpoint, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed," Sandberg said on "The Waddle & Silvy Show." "It's a disappointing day for sure."

Sandberg said he's uncertain about his future with the Cubs on any level.

"I spent the four years in the minor leagues to manage at the major-league level, and that's where my heart is and that's what my next step is. That's where I look next. So I'll take it a step at a time and see if there's another opportunity out there and go from there. I wish Mike Quade the best; I wish the Cubs the best and the Ricketts family."

Some Cubs fans will be disappointed Sandberg didn't get the job, but Dempster wonders if part of that is the fans' love for Sandberg's legacy as a player.

"I know that Ryno has done a really good job in the minor leagues so far," Dempster said. "He's only got a few years managing down there, and he's done really well. I'm sure the more experience he gets, the better he's going to be. He was a tremendous player and is a tremendous person, and that experience is only going to make him better.

"I know people would love to see [Sandberg] back in a Cubs uniform and at Wrigley Field every day, and maybe that's as much the infatuation as it is with who's going to make the best manager. And I'm not saying Ryno won't be a great manager, I just know Mike is a tremendous one and we're lucky to have him."

cadarnell said:

Imagine Chevy Chase is Ryne Sandberg and it's not a jelly of the month gift certificate he's upset about, but instead he's just found out that Jim Hendry didn't hire him to manage the Cubs. I think this scene might be pretty close to how Ryno took the news ...

secdelahc said:

I'm okay with this, I suppose. He seems to have the popular support of the players, and they won when he was managing. I think they don't have a lot of cash to spend on a marquee name with all the bad contracts, so I didn't expect much more.

AndCounting said:

It's the end of the world as we know it (and I feel fine).

It is? Thank God!

Carl Heartscubs Gierhan said:

LEONARD BERNSTEIN!

HackWilson09 said:

The Chicago Cubs organization has done something that has gone against the grain of their perceived popularity with the fans.

Outstanding!

Winning is winning. If Quade could pull that off in his lame-duck, interim tryout month, I have high hopes for what he can do next year after a full winter and spring of preparation.

Next up: NOT SIGNING ADAM DUNN! Please....

The organization is showing signs of getting smarter. They should keep it up.

Even if they wanted to sign Adam Dunn...I don't think they could.

HackWilson09 said:

You're questioning the Cubs ability to give too much money to a player who is past his prime? A player that nobody else really wants? Have you forgotten how they've always done business?

How exciting was it when we got Moises Alou! Alfonso Soriano! Greg Maddux at 38!

Adam Dunn falls within the "attainable but bloated, bland and overpriced" range -- perfect for the Cubs, who would rather pig out on piles of slop at Buca di Beppo than to wine and dine their woman at Charlie Trotter's, or whatever's still open in Chicago these days.

We are the Cubs' "woman", by the way. I'm tired of dining on cheese fries and drinking two-for-one drafts. Wow me! Take me to the Gilded Truffle and buy me some Cliff Lee, and then save up some money to buy me a ring next year. (Adrian Gonzalez)

Spend your money on the best veteran players in their prime, or approaching it, and spend the rest of your money to scout and to develop the farm. It's not hard to see what the Phils have been doing.

Throwing money at guys like Marquis and Bradley and Dunn, etc. sticks you in an endless cycle of mediocrity.

I wouldn't have questioned that 2 years ago...but it definitely appears, based off of last off-season, that the Cubs do have a significant financial limit placed on them right now by ownership.

HackWilson09 said:

Well, I say good, then.

Cliff Lee is the only player worth getting this winter, and I don't see the Cubs outbitting the evil empire. Nobody else is worth a sniff.

Colvin at first base. Work in Archer and BJax as the season progresses. Sit on hands. Wait... Wait....

2012 brings money and opportunity along with half of a solid, young, home-grown lineup.

I'm ok with this, and I would love it, if not for Sandberg. but thats my emotional side talking

after a couple of big announcement managers the understatedness of this is refreshing

baturkey said:

If Quade has the support of the players then that's good enough for me.

Personally, I think I would have liked it better if he had the support of none of those bums.

sloan peterson said:

Sorry- I'm not okay with it.Dempsters cheerleading for Quade makes me question it. In my job, when old-time employees applaud another old-time employee getting a management position oftentimes it's because they feel they will not be pushed,there will be no change, it will be "fun",and most importantly they can kick back and not have to strive for improvement. The last "popular" promotion from within in my company has taken a demotion due to costing the retirement plans thousands in losses due to errors.It's the same way with the Cubs- the vets will not try any harder, good old Uncle Larry R. will be the pitching coach, & the Cubs will not get any better....

Yeah--I was extremely put off by Demp's cheerleading as well.

It didn't bother me that much until I saw the video of it and he was in skirt and had pompoms.

cadarnell said:

cj I know you can make this connection .... remember when IU hired Mike Davis because all the players really wanted him ?? .. many even threatened to leave if they didn't. Well I certainly hope this turns out better than that did. I really think the players opinions should be given very little consideration during a switch at the helm ... It should have been ryno or girardi ... hendry has really set his self up to be fired if this doesn't work out ... ryne or joe would have bought him much more time.

yep.

completely agree.

AndCounting said:

Yeah, if Quade leads the Cubs to a World Series loss the year after taking over for a fiery old man, I'll be pissed.

sloan peterson said:

"Meet the new boss...Same as the old boss..." picture guitar breaking about now....

Tim from Aisle424 with the post of the day: BREAKING: Cubs honor Ryne Sandberg by not making him manage them.

I fully expect a statue outside of wrigley by the all-star break...and they should get him a nice watch too a-la Andre Dawson.

sloan peterson said:

Maybe a memorial bobblehead with Ryno in the uniform of the team he actually will be managing...

sloan peterson said:

Ryno will be a major league manager next spring-just not with the Cubs.....

I'm not so sure about that...

I thought his best shot would be with the Mariners. I believe the Blue Jays will go in a different direction with someone that has more experience (Don Baylor).

Ryno, I believe, will just sit out this season.

AndCounting said:

I thought Baylor just got a coaching job with the Rockies or something. Maybe I just dreamed that.

If memory serves me correct, Baylor was the Rockies' hitting coach this past season. I'm fairly sure he is being considered for the Pirates, Blue Jays and Brewers jobs.

The more I think about the fact that the Cubs hired a manager with 6 weeks of experience, no pressure, and expanded rosters, the more it bothers me.

berselius said:

For what it's worth, Ryno has ZERO experience. The only thing I take away from Quade's time as manager is that the players seemed to like him, and even then I don't take that much away because the team was actually winning and that smooths a lot of things over (even when you were eliminated months before).

It would have been nice having Ryno around but if he goes to another org the Cubs aren't missing out on anything. Quade could be just as good a manager going forward as Ryno for all we know.

berselius said:

Plus it's not like this team is going anywhere in the next 2 years, whether they have Girardi, Cox, or Darren Baker at the helm.

The only choice left for the Cubs as far as managers with experience would have been Bob Melvin.

And you can say whatever you want, Joe Girardi wasn't going to leave the Yankees.

Ryno could also be the next Tony LaRussa, who was the last manager hired without any major league experience.

What bothers me is that Ryno says the Cubs haven't even offered him to return to Iowa next year.

berselius said:

They're just letting him keep his options open. There's plenty of time. If he wants to come back I'm sure they would be happy to have him.

berselius said:

Besides, for all we know Quade could be the next TLR. The point is we don't really know anything about either guy. The Cubs have to pick someone, and if the other person goes on to succeed, well, hindsight is 20/20. Right now we have no idea.

As far as Ryno not being offered a position...don't read anything into that yet. The team has been waiting until they got Quade in place before going forward with organizing things throughout the system. Quade will likely have input on who to put where as far as coaches and minor league instructors.

My guess, Sandberg will be offered Iowa again and he'll turn it down.

cadarnell said:

I had already penciled ryno in my line up .. I really am not taking this well ...I liked what I saw of Q, but I still say a large part of his success was based on the fact that he was a pretty dam good manager stepping into a spot that was previously occupied by almost no manager .. the team was just so thrilled that Lou was gone and combine that with Q making some logical baseball moves ... bam !! ... the team started playing well ... not to totally downplay what Q did, but honestly I do believe a lot of pretty good managers would have had similar success in the same situation ... Q will be fine I'm sure, but we need more than fine ... The ryno exudes greatness and I have no reason to believe that he won't be a great manager in the majors ... just probably wont be for the Cubs now ... :( .. drinking for the wrong reasons tonight .. still love the ryno !!!

Quade presser coming up on Comcast at 3:00 pm.

sloan peterson said:

Some sick part of me wants Kanye West to run up and announce that Ryno should be the manager....

I wonder if it will be streaming anywhere.

Pure speculation...but I'm guessing Rothschild, Jaramillo, Dernier, and Strode will be back...Trammell will be offered to stay as bench coach, but decline. Sinatro, DeJesus are gone.

Personally, I think Sandberg should come in as third base coach...but I just don't think he wants to.

Quade: These kids played like a son of a gun the last 6 weeks, and I owe them a thanks for not mailling it in the last 6 weeks. He also knows 6 weeks don't mean much.

Quade: This is a dream come true. He's excited to be in his home town, and he understands what a big deal this is. He's an organizational guy, this is a group effort, he will give everything professionally and personally every day, and he needs the same from his organization and his team.

Hendry: Ryno was a great candidate, he's a great guy, and he's been a great Cub on and off the field. In the end, Hendry felt like Mike Quade was the best manager for the Chicago Cubs. After weeks of tossing and turning.

Ricketts: THey narrowed the list to three candidates, he interviewed them and then had dinner with each candidate and their family.

The final decision was Hendry's.

Quade: He's watched a lot of managers over the years. His ability to earn respect from his club will result from him being involved. He won't let his staff run the show--he wants his players to know that he's involved and that it (?) matters. There are no shortcuts, he won't take any, and he expects the same from them.

Hendry: Mike, Randy (Bush) and I will start getting together as early as tomorrow on a lot of issues and we'll start getting the staff rounded out, as well as teh 40-man roster. Some of the stafff will come back, some won't.

Hendry: Ryno did a great job and was an outstanding candidate right down to the end.

Quade: Six weeeks doesn't make six months, but why not us? plenty of examples of teams that have rough years, finish strong, and build on it the next year. He has no reason to think any other way and expects to contend from game one.

Hendry: Girardi has a great job--at the end of the day, Quade is our guy.

Ricketts: yeah, i'd like to add to that. Jim said it exactly right.

WHAT?

ELRaythar said:

Quote of the day.

Quade: When you're having fun, you relax. He has to find the right combination of fun and intensity.

Dmband said:

This make sense. Quade knows the crop of younger players better than Ryno, spent more time on a minor league bench, a major league bench, and now has a third of a season as a manager. It makes sense. Its underwhelming, no doubt, but im not upset at all about this hiring. Frankly, keeping a lower profile is exactly what this team needs...

i don't necessarily think it's a bad hiring, but I HATE the idea of losing Ryno. He's bitter and upset and will go elsewhere. We'll never get him back.

no, we will, it'll be Greg Maddux part deux

Fine...we'll never get him back. That's fine. Let him go somewhere else where he can actually be successful for once in his life.

For serious.

Uh, so?

Edelweiss said:

Ever since the Brett Favre alleged junk shot scandal, several MLB players have figured a way to send junk shots to everyone on the Web. Right now they "pose" during warmups in both the ALCS and NLCS, and the photographers still don't have a clue. Some of the pictures of players stretching before the games could be x-rated.

So...are we in first place yet?

Dmband said:

Quade on B&B just said that they would absolutely consider RYNO for a bench coach position, that is of course if he doesnt have another oppty elsewhere.

I understand Ryno being upset, BUT if he truely wants this job and its his 'dream' job then he should remain patient. People get passed over for promotions every day that are younger, perhaps better for someone who has more tenure or has "paid their dues" (hate that expression).

People need to keep in mind, Sandberg isn't all the young anymore. He's just a few years younger than Quade. The Ricketts's have said they wanted a long term manager, and while many of us have been very use to the 3 to 4 years turn around on guy's, I think it is very possible that Quade could be here for considerably longer even if the team doesn't play well.

If Sandberg sticks around with the Cubs, it could be quite a while before he get's a shot, and then he'll be pushing the upper 50's as far as age is concerned.

To add to that, I felt it was very important for Ryno to get some time as a big league coach before he got the chance to manage. That's why I was hoping the Cubs would do some shuffling before last season.

Honestly, the best thing for his career would be to be the Cubs 3rd base coach...and then to really promote himself around baseball so when a job opens up (dare I say St. Louis?) he'll be ready to take it.

Dmband said:

Question to you guys, Doc and whoever else

Do you think this 2 year deal with a TO for a 3rd year coinciding with the expiration of the longer term big money deals tells with some level of certainty what direction the club is planning on taking?

We might be in for some fundamentally sound, yet mediocre results based on sheer lack of talent for the next few years.

At this point, im ready for something different though.

sloan peterson said:

The Dodger did this when they were owned by the movie studio-they brought in Tracy, finished 3rd the first 2 years,won the division the 3rd year,(lost to St. Louis)and then finished 4th and Tracy was gone....

The Cubs did 2 years with an option for a 3rd for one main reason...because they could.

Honestly, that is pretty much the going rate Dusty got 3 years from the Reds. Girardi got 3 from the Yankees...these guys got contracts and they had experience.

Mike Scioscia got 2 w/ an option from the Angels, Brad Mills got 2 w/ an option from the Astros, Bob Geren got 2 w/ an option from the A's...Gibson with the D-Backs, Bud Black, Ron Washington, Joe Maddon, Ron Gardenhire, Ozzie Guillen...all manager who when hired by their current club for their first managing job got 2 years with an option.

This is the going rate for a first time manager (with the exception of Don Mattingly).

There is nothing else behind it.

cadarnell said:

i thought 2 years seemed like a low number .. i was wrong i guess ... this whole thing is really a screw job to ryne .. he did all that was ask of him ... paid his dues sounds like a cliche i know but he really did.. i think he went as far as to change his personality some to try and get the cubs job ... i do hope ricketts and hendry try to give him a kiss when they see him again .. always nice to get kissed when being fucked ... this one really hurts ... if they suck to start the season next year im just gonna get into some other summertime sport ... maybe more pga golf attention or something like that ...

The only thing that the Cubs really did that screwed Ryno was not let him get the chance to be the bench coach (or third base coach) this past season, or even give him the chance to be the interim manager when Lou retired.

Most people believe, as do I, that Jim Hendry was not a big Sandberg fan and that he never expected Ryno to go down to the minors to manager 4 years ago when they rejected him for the job the first time.

If the Cubs truly intended to have Ryno as the manager-in-waiting, he would have been a bench coach or the third base coach this past season. That is, truth be known, is the real progression in baseball to become a manager.

Sandberg has done everything asked of him and if he truly wants to be a manager, he's going to have to coach in the for a season or two. I thought Seattle would be the most likely place for him to go (if not the Cubs)...I don't think he'll be offered any other job.

Dmband said:

This is the Onion at its finest. Apologize in advance to any sorority girls on the thread.

sloan peterson said:

1.Watching the Yankees game and wanting a broken bat to hit the ranger announcers Smoltz,Darling,and the other old guy.
2. LA sportscaster pronounces Quade as "quaid'-suggest Ricketts & the gang send media tapes to LA morons on how to pronounce the name..

cadarnell said:

been hearing it quaid and quad all day ... wouldnt you ask someone before you went on air ???

sloan peterson said:

Fred Roggin in LA only bothers to learn to pronounce LA teams-he only talks about other teams if he has too...

Edelweiss said:

Ready for this?.........Ryan Theriot is taking acting lessons starting in December. He wants to be the next Andy Griffith. He says the trade to the Dodgers fits right in with his plans. He hopes to get on the Leno Show sometime this winter.

Mydnyte said:

Acting lessons? Why does he need lessons? Wasn't that what he was doing when he was with the Cubs?

Mydnyte said:

I really do hope they bring Ryno up to replace Trammell. I know he's said he doesn't want to be a coach in the bigs, but it would be the logical next step for him. Pay him well, since he most likely deserves it for doing everything the Cubs have asked him to do, and I honestly think he'd consider staying.